•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY163M first light (M42 in Ha)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Campos

Campos

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Portugal

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:57 AM

Hi guys,

So finally after QHY sorted all the issues with UB2 I was able to capture some data to give a good test run to my new QHY163M, I choose something "easy" in Ha as this will be my primary aim with this camera, as I image mainly from my light polluted back yard at the city :)

This was just a quick and dirty processing, to be honest I was like a zombie after a days work but I had to do it, it's been siitting for a few days waiting for processing, something is not very well I suspect with my dark or bias frames as I see a lighter band at the bottom of the image, seems like the amp glow did not callibrate out perfectly but that should be something or some bad frame in the stack so will have to see that in better detail...also yes, the microlenses reflection is a concern, very well visible on the brighter star, there is a simmetrical reflection around the star, I sure hope the gurus will find an easy way to deal with this in the future...maybe a PS plug in hehehe :)

Appart from that, it need more frames to clean up the dim areas, but the details are quite something for only 480mm f/l.

setup used:

QHY163M

SW ED80 at f/6

Baader Ha 7nm filter

EQ6 mount autoguided with ASI 120MM and a 50mm finder

Stack of 35x300 secs at Gain20 Offset100 USB traffic 5

Plus 15x60 secs + 10x15 secs for the core (still slightly overexposed)

So this is a first "draft" and I will get back at it for inprovement when I'm feeling fresher :p must check the callibration frames and smooth out the background.

Here on Flickr resized to 50%:

https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

Hope you enjoy,

Cheers,

Edited by Campos, 19 January 2017 - 06:21 AM.

• Joe F Gafford, ArkabPriorSol, Pauls72 and 3 others like this

#2 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:46 AM

Very nice!
  • Campos likes this

#3 Campos

Campos

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:52 PM

Obrigado Helder :)

Cheers,

• hfjacinto likes this

#4 Campos

Campos

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:00 PM

Took a little more data on this M42 image and I'll call this done for now, happy with all the dust on the background :)

The camera picked up a lot of detail, even with all the fireplaces smoke that filled the air, I always end up my winter nights smelli'n like "Chouriço"...

Here on Flickr:

Cheers,

• Ricky and danielguo like this

#5 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

• Loc: Nanaimo, BC

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:16 PM

...also yes, the microlenses reflection is a concern, very well visible on the brighter star, there is a simmetrical reflection around the star, I sure hope the gurus will find an easy way to deal with this in the future...maybe a PS plug in hehehe :)

Appart from that, it need more frames to clean up the dim areas, but the details are quite something for only 480mm f/l.

Hope you enjoy,

Cheers,

Hey Campos, excellent Ha of M42 - who needs colour?? What are these microlens flares? This that off the sensor itself or the filter? I have seen these before - is there a way to deal with them?

• Campos likes this

#6 Campos

Campos

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:50 AM

...also yes, the microlenses reflection is a concern, very well visible on the brighter star, there is a simmetrical reflection around the star, I sure hope the gurus will find an easy way to deal with this in the future...maybe a PS plug in hehehe :)

Hope you enjoy,

Cheers,

Hey Campos, excellent Ha of M42 - who needs colour?? What are these microlens flares? This that off the sensor itself or the filter? I have seen these before - is there a way to deal with them?

They are caused by the sensor coverglass, not the optical filter that seals the sensor chamber but the sensor glass itself, it has no a.r. coatings and this causes this pattern, on this reprocess I made several masks to minimize this problem and it's better now, but still visible.

I will try in future various distances to the Ha filter / sensor and see it it gets any better, maybe it will diminish with increased distance...

Cheers,

Edited by Campos, 23 January 2017 - 05:51 AM.

#7 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

I always thought that ZWO or QHY had an AR coating on these cover glasses?

#8 Campos

Campos

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:56 AM

For what I understand the explanation is as follows:

The sensor is suplied by a company that manufactures cameras for "regular" imaging (Panasonic in this case) and on a regular RGB sensor this isn't really a problem because the bayer matrix with the RGB filters in kind of "dull" and not very reflective, but now with this batch of mono sensors with no bayer matrix the sensor becomes much more reflective and now the simple cover glass becomes a problem...it would be a good idea if the manufacturer would address this problem and placed an a.r. coated glass on the sensors, I would glady pay an additional vallue for this but...it simply doesn't exist for now:( I guess ZWO and QHY arranged with Panasonic a batch of regular sensors simply with no bayer matrix but the cover glass should be the same (no a.r.) coatings simply because it isn't needed in regular daylight photography, I know at least that Canon sensors don't have an a.r. coated coverglass for the same reason, so Panasonic should be the same.
This problem becomes worse with some optical configurations, I don't see this issue with my newtonian (but I see a large very faint halo) but with the refractor is very marked, for me it seems plausible also that the filter to sensor distance can make this worse, so more testing required!

Hope this makes sense,

Cheers,

Luís

Edited by Campos, 23 January 2017 - 11:56 AM.

• Aenima likes this

#9 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:01 PM

Thanks Campos,

I guess will just have to try and process it out, if it shows up (clone stamp in PS?).

Cheers

• Campos likes this

#10 Campos

Campos

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:03 PM

See here a small video I made about this some time ago, when modding my sensors (a Canon 450D mono sensor) :

https://www.youtube....h?v=pwYmmNtGTqg

Cheers,

Luís

#11 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

See here a small video I made about this some time ago, when modding my sensors (a Canon 450D mono sensor) :

https://www.youtube....h?v=pwYmmNtGTqg

Cheers,

Luís

Thanks Luis,

A video is worth a 1000 posts! :)

Nicely shows the difference a good AR coating can make. I see the QHY163M does have an AR coating, but I guess some microlenses are unavoidable on really bright stars.

Thanks

• Campos likes this

#12 hnau

hnau

Vostok 1

• Loc: AZ

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:09 PM

very nice.  out of curiosity how did you settle on offset 100 for gain 20?  I've been sitting on my QHY163M for over 2 mos due to clouds and currently have a few different settings in my darks library, but nothing with that high of an offset (my high gain darks are at o50 for g20, which was based on asi1600mm 10:1 gain ratio).

• Campos likes this

#13 Campos

Campos

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:36 AM

very nice.  out of curiosity how did you settle on offset 100 for gain 20?  I've been sitting on my QHY163M for over 2 mos due to clouds and currently have a few different settings in my darks library, but nothing with that high of an offset (my high gain darks are at o50 for g20, which was based on asi1600mm 10:1 gain ratio).

Well, to tell you the truth I haven't really settled yet on this particular combination, as I could go lower on the offset (80 or 85) it's just that I have a full callibration library done with this setting and I'm really lazy to do another one...:p

These settings are working fine for me so I'll stick with them for now.

To get a proper offset vallue, take some bias frames at 0.001 sec and check your histogram, it shouldn't touch the left side, if it does increase the offset vallue, with G:20 OFFSET:100 my data is detached from the left side, so I could drop offset still a bit, maybe 80/85

Cheers,

• hnau likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics