•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen VMC 200L - Opinions?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#126 Charlie B

Charlie B

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 02 May 2019 - 04:24 PM

If you watch planets with the VMC, how are the spikes affecting the view? Do you really notice them and have to "concentrate" or "ignore" them?

Since I'm in to astrophotography, I don't really watch the planets, but I've never noticed the spikes except on bright stars.  They would probably be noticeable at F10 or less, but I photograph at F19.  Here is what the spikes look like for bright stars  https://www.flickr.c...os/33176381478/, which are not worse than a SCT to me.

Regards,

Charlie B

#127 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:06 PM

If you watch planets with the VMC, how are the spikes affecting the view? Do you really notice them and have to "concentrate" or "ignore" them?

I'm more likely to notice them at low to mid powers than at higher powers, but I really don't find them annoying or too distracting -- same as with my RV-6 Newtonian.

#128 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:47 PM

I don't really think of my VMC200L as a Moon Scope, but may have to re-assess:  Tuesday night I got fantastic views of the waxing gibbous at 500x with a Radian 4.  Very fine detail, and brighter than in any of my refractors at that magnification.

I don't want to mess with an 8" Dob or Classic 8" EQ, so this CAT is a fine substitute.

• memento and terraclarke like this

#129 memento

memento

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 51N 7E

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:52 AM

I don't really think of my VMC200L as a Moon Scope, but may have to re-assess:  Tuesday night I got fantastic views of the waxing gibbous at 500x with a Radian 4.  Very fine detail, and brighter than in any of my refractors at that magnification.

I don't want to mess with an 8" Dob or Classic 8" EQ, so this CAT is a fine substitute.

After going through a period where I really loved long refractors, I also came to realize that the brighter views of bigger-aperture scopes really have some advantages. Now I saw two or even three VC200L (not VMC) for sale last week on the ATT 2019, the biggest local astronomy fair over here. They were astonishing cheap, one was only 350 Euros!

I got REALLY tempted but the VC's tube is longer and more heavy than the VMC and that might be just too much for my current (Vixen SP) mount. I know how the SP handles a C8 – fine for visual – but wouldn't want to put even more load on it.

Also I read somewhere that the VC's have a parabolic main mirror, but due to the way how they are produced, they can never be recoated (outside the Vixen factory).

But for sure I'd like to get a VMC200L for that low price. If it can handle the Moon at 500x, it must be more than "good enough" for Jupiter & Saturn at 200-300x ...

#130 Magnetic Field

Magnetic Field

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:38 PM

After going through a period where I really loved long refractors, I also came to realize that the brighter views of bigger-aperture scopes really have some advantages. Now I saw two or even three VC200L (not VMC) for sale last week on the ATT 2019, the biggest local astronomy fair over here. They were astonishing cheap, one was only 350 Euros!

I got REALLY tempted but the VC's tube is longer and more heavy than the VMC and that might be just too much for my current (Vixen SP) mount. I know how the SP handles a C8 – fine for visual – but wouldn't want to put even more load on it.

Also I read somewhere that the VC's have a parabolic main mirror, but due to the way how they are produced, they can never be recoated (outside the Vixen factory).

But for sure I'd like to get a VMC200L for that low price. If it can handle the Moon at 500x, it must be more than "good enough" for Jupiter & Saturn at 200-300x ...

The €350 one:

Was this a display item from a dealer?

Or second hand from a fella?

Retail price Germany: €1400,-

Retail price UK: £1900,-

Vixen is cheaper in Germany (I never figured out why) but cannot explain the €350,- (too good to be true).)

Edited by Magnetic Field, 20 May 2019 - 12:41 PM.

#131 jjack's

jjack's

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: normandy

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:18 PM

I can explain because i got one and sold it. VC200L are ALL badly undercorrected. I never got planetary high power views as a C8.  VMC 200L are far better.

#132 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:57 PM

I didn't expect more from my VMC than faint fuzzy observing, and paid accordingly -- used vs. new.  I don't doubt that there are used C8s that'll out-perform it on lunar / planetary.  I'm fine with that.  I have my APM 152ED for ultra-sharp lunar / planetary observing. 

IME, $350 for a used VMC would be a very good deal indeed!  I paid a bit more than that, but y'all, I can "galaxy sweep" with mine the way I "cluster sweep" with my APM 152 or RV-6 -- and that's in town.  In the winter, in the country, I can foresee many happy nights with my VMC cruising along on my Tak EM-1S (with battery pack!).  

Mine can't beat my APM 152 on the average planetary night at The Swamp.  But it's not too far behind.  And the views are bright, and the belt colors are vibrant -- it's a scope where I have to amp-up the magnification so that the disk's brilliance doesn't overwhelm the fine details (almost opposite to a large refractor).

Again, NO WAY would I pay new prices for a VMC (sorry Vixen!).  A C8 is a safer bet for most folks.  But if you prefer more refractor-like views, it is a Mak.  If you have dewing problems on SCT correctors, it doesn't have one.  If you've experienced mirror slip, the focuser is independent of the primary, so no slip, no slop.  OTOH, if Newt vanes distract you, you're probably not gonna like it.  Back in the old days, companies sold optical windows for reflectors, so it's a preference that goes back decades -- at least!

#133 memento

memento

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:27 PM

The €350 was a second hand VC (not VMC!) from an amateur observer. There was another one for 500€ used from a dealer.

I always thought VC's were more expensive than VMC's. But ...

I can explain because i got one and sold it. VC200L are ALL badly undercorrected. I never got planetary high power views as a C8.  VMC 200L are far better.

... OK now I get it.

FWIW I didn't see any used VMC200L's at the show for sale, only a new one at the Vixen booth. If I see a VMC pop up for sale used in the internet, maybe 2-3 times a year or so, it's usually around €700-800. That's much more than an older used C8.

#134 jjack's

jjack's

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: normandy

Posted Yesterday, 03:06 AM

Memento : att 2019 at Essen ? 

If i want to classify these scope about planetary views, first come a recent C8 XLTor edge hd. As good as a maksutov without the drawback like cool down time. But the collimation must be very precise. Something people don't do often. Shifting problem too.

Second is the VMC 200L. Good planetary views but a little behind the C8 because of the thick spider vanes and 40% obstruction but a good scope for photography with its corrector better than the C8 one.

Third the VC200L. Not a planetary scope and not better than the VMC for photography.

It seems Vixen made three 8"scopes for AP use only. They fail to make a good planetary one.

Edited by jjack's, Yesterday, 03:24 AM.

• memento and Bomber Bob like this

#135 memento

memento

Viking 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 04:41 AM

Yes it was at the ATT 2019.

#136 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

Posted Yesterday, 06:12 AM

If I see a VMC pop up for sale used in the internet, maybe 2-3 times a year or so, it's usually around €700-800.

I got my VMC200L for about half that -- plus shipping.  They're pretty light for their aperture, so I wonder if international shipping would be astronomical?

It seems Vixen made three 8"scopes for AP use only. They fail to make a good planetary one.

I agree:  A VMC200L would not be my first choice for a large-aperture planetary scope.  FYI:  It's very humid at The Swamp, so I put a LONG dewshield on my vintage C5, and I haven't had severe dew problems on its corrector.  But, I also put the C5 out in the shed a couple of hours before sundown, so it can acclimate slowly.

Edited by Bomber Bob, Yesterday, 06:16 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics