•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EAA Object of the Month for February 2017

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Apollo

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:43 PM

I am working with a variances of RC back focus, the stock extenders and the Moonlite flange. Last night I could not focus with the AP reducer and no filter, and barely had focus with the Astrodon RGB filters. I ordered a 0.8" flange extender from Ron today and this should handle all focus issues, from the AP reducer to stock f/8 and other experimentation.

#52 MartinMeredith

MartinMeredith

Viking 1

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:12 AM

My entry for the challenge object NGC 2377. Also shown is mag 18.3 elliptical PGC 77220. Lodestar X2 mono, 8" f/4 Newt, alt-az, Baader C filter.

NGC2377.png

Martin

• Don Rudny, roelb, Robrj and 4 others like this

#53 MartinMeredith

MartinMeredith

Viking 1

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:27 AM

And NGC 2207/IC 2163 = VV 1155 in CMa, this time with short subs.

NGC2207.jpg

Martin

• Don Rudny, roelb, santafe retiree and 6 others like this

#54 MartinMeredith

MartinMeredith

Viking 1

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:19 PM

And finally Arp 6 = NGC 2537 = Bear's Paw. The inset shows what a single 30s sub looks like. There's a bunch of other stuff in the vicinity. I've marked a quite bright mag 18.5 quasar with a redshift of 1.99 = 9-10 billion light years distant. Having IC 2233 (a member of the Flat Galaxy Catalogue, number 730) in the shot is a bonus. This, rather unexpectedly to me, is described as a low surface brightness galaxy.

bearspaw.png

Thanks Rob for these excellent choices.

Martin

• roelb, Robrj, Astrojedi and 3 others like this

#55 roelb

roelb

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium, Antwerp

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:02 PM

And finally Arp 6 = NGC 2537 = Bear's Paw. The inset shows what a single 30s sub looks like. There's a bunch of other stuff in the vicinity. I've marked a quite bright mag 18.5 quasar with a redshift of 1.99 = 9-10 billion light years distant. Having IC 2233 (a member of the Flat Galaxy Catalogue, number 730) in the shot is a bonus. This, rather unexpectedly to me, is described as a low surface brightness galaxy.

attachicon.gifbearspaw.png

Thanks Rob for these excellent choices.

Martin

Verey nice images Martin.

In the last image NGC 2537 + IC 2233, I found at least 15 quasars in this region!

Incredible what can be resolved with the X2.

• MartinMeredith likes this

#56 saguaro

saguaro

Apollo

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:10 PM

I attempted the Bear Paw and IC2233 galaxies last night. With my setup, they were pretty small in the field of view (approx. 1.5 degrees x 1.1 degrees).

10x60sec, Bin1

ASI1600MC-Cool with IDAS LPS-D1 filter

C14Edge with Hyperstar (F/2)

Captured in SharpCap and live-stacking in AstroToaster

First of two images is the Bear Paw and IC2233

Bear-Paw-and-IC223-for-web.jpg

Second image is an enlargement of the region containing the Bear Paw

Bear-Paw-Zoomed-In-for-web.jpg

Edited by saguaro, 21 February 2017 - 04:11 PM.

• Ain Soph Aur, roelb, Robrj and 3 others like this

#57 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Apollo

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:40 PM

Very nice capture, Saguaro! I am thinking about picking up an ASI071MC when my tax refund hits, along with a hyperstar for the C8. Sharpcap to Astrotoaster is awesome and I am still trying to master it which my ASI224MC, but I sure wish there was a an app for ZWO cameras like the amazing StarlightLive.

I spend an hour on trying to learn Sharpcap-->Astrotoaster when i have clear skies, and I always end up dropping back to StarlightLive to get some targets captured with excellent results.

Perhaps if I get more consistent clear skies this Spring, I will find more time for experimentation.

• saguaro likes this

#58 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:50 PM

Agreed, very nice views you have there. So far I'm really liking Astrotoaster, even when software can do stacking it's looking to be worth the extra setup.
  • saguaro likes this

#59 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Apollo

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:30 PM

I got side-tracked into the very intricate RC collimation and lost many nice dark sky hours. Back to the 190MN and a very nice session to where I finished the AL Active Galactic Nulcei program in one marathon session. This is my first capture from the marathon session, 41P/Tuttle–Giacobini–Kresák. Nothing great but it is a comet capture smile.gif

41P/Tuttle Giacobini Kresak

Many thanks to Rob for this months targets. I am on hook for March targets, and this is way more responsibility than than I thought. I am a Tennessee guy, I volunteered so will post targets on March 1. Feb was such a short month smile.gif

Edited by Ain Soph Aur, 27 February 2017 - 09:31 PM.

• saguaro, roelb, MartinMeredith and 2 others like this

#60 Robrj

Robrj

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Escondido, CA

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:32 AM

I am on hook for March targets, and this is way more responsibility than than I thought. I am a Tennessee guy, I volunteered so will post targets on March 1. Feb was such a short month smile.gif

I used the Night Sky Observer's Guide to pick some targets. I also used an online database that had pictures.

I PM'd someone in Canada and Australia to tell me what Declination they can see from their location to get min/max targets. That narrows it down a bit.

For the difficult target and easy target, I tried to keep the object north of -20 dec and south of 40 dec for the challenge and easy targets.

For the southern object, I just picked something that looked cool smile.gif

For a difficult target, I looked for objects that were tough but doable targets for the big dobs.
The Easy targets were rated as a 2* object in a larger scope in the Night Sky Observer's Guide. The easy can just be something interesting as you'll have both a southern and a northern target.

Edited by Robrj, 28 February 2017 - 10:34 AM.

#61 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Aurora

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:53 PM

NGC2207 stack of 25x10s Evolution C8@F4.3, ASI290 Mono.

This was a really tough one for me because of the location. Between the houses looking south which is a white zone for me. You can see that in the sky background.

NGC2207 Stack_25x10s.jpg

• roelb, Robrj and elpajare like this

#62 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:10 AM

Many thanks to Rob for this months targets. I am on hook for March targets, and this is way more responsibility than than I thought. I am a Tennessee guy, I volunteered so will post targets on March 1. Feb was such a short month smile.gif

Please PM me when you get it up so I can pin it. Thanks for volunteering, and don't worry, I'm not going to unpin the Feb thread until yours is ready.

#63 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Aurora

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:31 AM

I got side-tracked into the very intricate RC collimation and lost many nice dark sky hours. Back to the 190MN and a very nice session to where I finished the AL Active Galactic Nulcei program in one marathon session. This is my first capture from the marathon session, 41P/Tuttle–Giacobini–Kresák. Nothing great but it is a comet capture smile.gif

I don't like collimating RCs. A real pain.

PM me if you need help with target selection. 

#64 Rickster

Rickster

Apollo

• Loc: NC Kansas Bortle 3 SQM 21.8+

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:25 PM

Last night I had exceptionally clear skies and I thought I would see what I could do from my back yard (green zone) with my old Meade 2120/LX3 Quartz at f10 with a CanonT4i (unmodded).  Polar alignment was off so I was limited to 20s exposures at iso 6400.  I thought the colors were interesting so I decided to post a screen shot even though late to the party.  The image is cropped and zoomed.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (3).png

Edited by Rickster, 02 March 2017 - 01:38 PM.

• roelb, Robrj, Astrojedi and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics