•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Losmandy Tucked in Motor Kit for G11 and GM8

accessories astrophotography cassegrain catadioptric ccd dslr eq equipment imaging Maksutov
  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Losmandy

Losmandy

Vendor - Losmandy

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

Thank you @Brian Finn Valente for sharing your photos of your setup, Losmandy G11G Mount, 12" Extension Tube, RA Extension Kit, Clutch Knob Set, Polar Scope and the new Tucked in Motors. The Tucked in Motors RetroFit Kit coming and shipping soon. The kit will be black anodizied. Also, shown with the Takahashi Telescope, PrimaLuce Lab Rings and dovetail plate, and the QHY Polemaster. #losmandy #primalucelab #polemaster #mounts #takahashi

AMAZING SET UP that gets incredible tracking results.

Attached Thumbnails

• TIM 1.jpg
  • TIM 2.jpg
  • TIM 3.jpg

• George N, sparrowhawk and denis0007dl like this

#2 baron555

baron555

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lockport, IL

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:12 PM

What's beneath the cover between the gearbox and the worm coupler?  Direct drive?   Belt?

#3 Losmandy

Losmandy

Vendor - Losmandy

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:46 PM

Hello

I am using Spur Gears. In over the 40 years of making mounts I have found spur gears give the best consistency in tracking and better reliability.

Scott

#4 WilRobinson

WilRobinson

Ranger 4

• Loc: Near the cloud machine

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:20 PM

When and how much?

• Losmandy likes this

#5 nebulasaurus

nebulasaurus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mostly Cloudy New Hampshire

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:18 PM

Looks like you need longer servo motor cables too! 

I'm very interested in this along with a one piece worm block for my 11 year old G-11.  Like he said, when and how much?

J.

• Losmandy likes this

#6 Lola Bruce

Lola Bruce

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:51 PM

Sign me up Scott.

Bruce

• Losmandy likes this

#7 bvalente

bvalente

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:03 PM

Hi folks,

Losmandy has my permission to post these photos. if you have any questions about the rig i'm happy to answer them.

The tucked in motors are really great. I've had my G11 for about 6 years and twice i've had the dec crash into the RA motor and had it replaced. With tucked in motors that is no longer a risk (my inattention can still be a risk though ha ha). they work like a charm. 

also FYI those are losmandy rings on the guidescope

Brian

Edited by bvalente, 30 January 2017 - 12:05 PM.

• Losmandy and nicknacknock like this

#8 afrancis

afrancis

Vendor - MoonLite

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Middletown, Maryland

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:27 PM

Scott/Brian,

Do you have a time frame for availability? Also interested in how you stacked the RA axis? I recently resurrected my G11 after a 7 year hiatus and am most likely behind the times.

Thanks,

Al

• Losmandy likes this

#9 Losmandy

Losmandy

Vendor - Losmandy

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:00 PM

Hello Al,  Availability is most likely March.   The RA Extension Kit, the kit to stack the RA axis, will be needed to work with the tucked in motors and that is part number RAEXK.   

Scott

• afrancis likes this

#10 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:04 AM

Has Losmandy finally dumped the evil little Oldham shaft couplers for a bellows-type (or similar) coupler that is smoother for astrophotography?

#11 Losmandy

Losmandy

Vendor - Losmandy

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:03 PM

Has Losmandy finally dumped the evil little Oldham shaft couplers for a bellows-type (or similar) coupler that is smoother for astrophotography?

Hello Christopher

Back in 1986, for about 6 months we used bellows-type coupler and flex spiral couplers. Neither of them worked because of backlash and windup, all resulting in a very unpredictable random error. The Oldham coupler has worked great for us.

Scott Losmandy

#12 Charlie B

Charlie B

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:03 PM

Hello Al,  Availability is most likely March.   The RA Extension Kit, the kit to stack the RA axis, will be needed to work with the tucked in motors and that is part number RAEXK.   

Scott

Scott,

I bought the older extension plate (single piece) for my G11.  Will it also work with the tucked in motors?

Regards,

Charlie B

#13 skywolf856

skywolf856

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:25 PM

Scott,

I noticed the new ES drives are using the spiral type couplers?

Didn't you warn them?

#14 JoeR

JoeR

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Columbus, OH

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:18 AM

Are these tucked in motors prototypes and will the production models be the same black anodized finish as the mount?

#15 austin.grant

austin.grant

Vendor - Modified DSLR Cameras

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:02 AM

Are these tucked in motors prototypes and will the production models be the same black anodized finish as the mount?

It's stated in the original post that they will indeed be black anodized.

#16 JoeR

JoeR

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Columbus, OH

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:09 PM

Ah I missed that part. I'm also wondering will this mod make the motors quieter or louder and are they compatible with the OPWB. I have the RA extension so I'm covered there. I see potential here to make custom gearbox covers to provide better protection, aesthetics, and reduced noise.

#17 Losmandy

Losmandy

Vendor - Losmandy

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:47 PM

Ah I missed that part. I'm also wondering will this mod make the motors quieter or louder and are they compatible with the OPWB. I have the RA extension so I'm covered there. I see potential here to make custom gearbox covers to provide better protection, aesthetics, and reduced noise.

It seems to make them quieter because the motors are completely incased where as the non tucked in version the back of the motor is exposed.  Yes they are compatible with the One Piece Worm Block, which should be available again soon.  They are currently in testing but it still may be a couple more months before they are shipping. 

#18 Losmandy

Losmandy

Vendor - Losmandy

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:58 PM

Scott

Scott,

I bought the older extension plate (single piece) for my G11.  Will it also work with the tucked in motors?

Regards,

Charlie B

Hello Charlie

Yes it will. the DEC axis needs to be moved out 1.5"

scott

#19 perdrix

perdrix

Sputnik

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Kenilworth GB

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:31 AM

I see that the RA drive has been relocated to the other side of the RA axis from the altitude adjustment knob.  I just had my G-11 apart to try to work out how to do that, but couldn't see how (though I didn't remove the main worm wheel).  Is it easy to do?

Thanks

Dave

Edited by perdrix, 16 February 2017 - 09:46 AM.

#20 willykros

willykros

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:31 PM

Hi Folks,

Not sure if I missed this, but will the "Tucked In Motors" now become standard on the GM8 and G11?

I'm looking at going the Losmandy route this Spring and was wondering if they will become standard, what is a probable date?

Finally, from my limited GM8/G11 knowledge and reading, the Tucked in Motors alleviate that risk factor of damaging motors that stuck out.  But are there any other benefits?

Thanks in advance...

... Bill

#21 gdd

gdd

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA (N/O Seattle)

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

Hi Folks,

Not sure if I missed this, but will the "Tucked In Motors" now become standard on the GM8 and G11?

I'm looking at going the Losmandy route this Spring and was wondering if they will become standard, what is a probable date?

Finally, from my limited GM8/G11 knowledge and reading, the Tucked in Motors alleviate that risk factor of damaging motors that stuck out.  But are there any other benefits?

Thanks in advance...

... Bill

Because the Tucked in Motors require the RA extension kit you will get its benefit also. The kit prevents collisions even with the untucked motors. It also allows the RA and DEC sections to be separated if you have trouble with the weight.

One thing I wondered about is whether it does the gear reduction in one step with a fewer gears. If so this should reduce gearbox backlash and some of the non-harmonic contributions to the overall periodic error.

Gale

#22 Astronought

Astronought

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Victoria, Australia

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:07 PM

All very nice, but can I jury-rig them to my AZ8, or will you (please God), :grin: finally make a motor unit for this great mount!
If JMI can do it for the Vixen, surely you can do it for the AZ8. :flowerred:

• Xeroid likes this

#23 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

Hi Folks,

Thanks in advance...

... Bill

Bill, 

You should probably read the complete thread to get your questions answered. 

#24 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

• Loc: USA

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:46 PM

A AZ8 with tracking would be a killer mount. 

All very nice, but can I jury-rig them to my AZ8, or will you (please God), :grin: finally make a motor unit for this great mount!
If JMI can do it for the Vixen, surely you can do it for the AZ8. :flowerred:

#25 perdrix

perdrix

Sputnik

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Kenilworth GB

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:40 AM

The kit will use the existing gear box and a 1:1 transfer spur gearbox (covered by that shiny aluminium cover in the photographs).

Information from an email from Scott.

Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography, cassegrain, catadioptric, ccd, dslr, eq, equipment, imaging, Maksutov

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics