•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone go from Morpheus back to Delos/XW/Ethos?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:14 PM

The Morpheus sale will be ending soon (end of Jan).  I had been contemplating picking up a few Delos and maybe an Ethos but, at the sale price I am tempted to try a set of the Morpheus eyepieces instead.  They have been getting great reviews ... even compared to Delos and XWs.  They even have a touch larger AFOV.

I could buy 3 of the Morpheus for the new price of an Ethos!

Has anyone used Morpheus and decided to switch to Delos, XW, or Ethos?   Why?

It sounds like the Morpheus are optically the equal of XW and Delos.

Thx,

Rob

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:22 PM

I have tried the Morpheus and they seem close to the XW's for the most part (just a tad softer on the edges).

I chose the Delos over both (XW/Morpheus)  due to the presentation the Delos offers (star saturation/rendition).

I personally would rather a used Delos for a few buck more than a new Morpheus but YMMV.

Mike

• Neptune, GeneT and paradise like this

#3 Neptune

Neptune

Apollo

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:41 PM

I found the Delos to be perfect blend of all eyepiece attributes, even though a little on the taller side.

• GeneT and paradise like this

#4 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:57 PM

The Morpheus sale will be ending soon (end of Jan).  I had been contemplating picking up a few Delos and maybe an Ethos but, at the sale price I am tempted to try a set of the Morpheus eyepieces instead.  They have been getting great reviews ... even compared to Delos and XWs.  They even have a touch larger AFOV.
I could buy 3 of the Morpheus for the new price of an Ethos!

Has anyone used Morpheus and decided to switch to Delos, XW, or Ethos?   Why?
It sounds like the Morpheus are optically the equal of XW and Delos.

Thx,
Rob

Love my Televue, but prefer the Morpheus.

#5 vkhastro1

vkhastro1

Apollo

• Loc: Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:14 PM

Used TeleVue Delos are about $60 more (typical price of $260) on the used market.

With the current Baader Morpheus sale price of $200, buy 3 brand new Morpheus eyepieces and the 4th would be $20 more.

Basically 4 new Baader Morpheus vs 3 New Delos.

or 

I think the best fiscal $$ choice is the 3 Morpheus and save $180 over 3 new Delos.

or

3 Morpheus over 1 Ethos (3 eyepieces cover a lot more magnification/FOV that 1 eyepiece.

Go for the Morpheus eyepieces while the sale is still on !!

#6 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: S.Oregon Coast USA

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:15 PM

Love my Televue, but prefer the Morpheus.

+1 :grin:

#7 NiteGuy

NiteGuy

Apollo

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

I have a 14mm Morpheus and an 8mm Delos. Yes, that's for sure not an apples-to-apples comparison but I want to add more Morpheus eyepieces, but not more Delos. For sure, the Morpheus line offers a lot of bang-for-the-buck. Both eyepiece lines have very tiny pluses and minuses, so small that, in reality, it just boils down to personal preference and budget. I should also mention that the Morpheus line still has some serious holes that need to be filled to complete the set.

For me the AFOV is noticeably larger when going from the Delos to the Morpheus. Conversely, going from a Nagler to the Morpheus, I either don't notice the difference as much or it doesn't bother me enough to pay any attention to it. Both the Delos and Morpheus are very immersive eyepieces with the eye cups folded down but the eyepiece housing of Morpheus almost disappears completely...all eyepieces should be like this! Dark, velvety, high contrast background in the Morpheus, barely perceptible but better star pinpoints in the Delos (that may be a product of my f/4.5 system). Both eyepieces Barlow well. Speaking of short f/ratio telescopes, a ParaCorr is suggested for both the Delos and Morpheus, a bit more so for the Morpheus.

So that's my take and, like I said, I prefer the Morpheus enough to go that route, at least until the next great Tele Vue thing is unveiled.

#8 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Skylab

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:33 PM

I have the 14 Morpheus only, but I have compared it closely with 14 Delos, 14 XW, 14 Nikon HW 100, 13 Ethos, and have pretty good memories for the 14 Es/100. Oh, and I have compared it closely with the Leica zoom.

My only slight issue with the Morpheus is that the edges are touch softer in my F6 80mm refractor than I'd like. That's because of the field curvature from the scope, but some of the others do better than the Morpheus in that respect. Of course, the XW is worse in that comparison.

After making these comparisons, I sold the 14 Delos. I kept the Morpheus because the 76 degree field is actually noticeably wider when viewed back to back. And the views through both in all my other scopes (e.g., 12.5" F5 with paracorr; 6" F8 refractor; C6) were as sharp across the field in both.

Mostly the Morpheus gets used now in my C6. I like that to stay in 1.25" mode, and my Leica zoom only has a 2" adapter. Otherwise, if I were rational about it, the Morpheus would go. 

#9 rowdy388

rowdy388

Gemini

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

I bought a 9mm Morpheus during the current sale to see what the hype is about.  I have only had it under the stars one night.  I really couldn't get

comfortable with it. I tried it with the eyecup down to go for the immersion factor but I struggled to keep the exit pupil. When I tried to raise the eyecup

of course the flimsy thing fell off. I gave up but plan to try next time with the eyecup already in the up position and use the second supplied cap which

fits over the raised eyecup.  I haven't given it enough eye time of course but so far I like my ES100 9, XW10, and ethos eyepieces better.

• JayinUT and LunarFox like this

#10 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

Hmmmm  ... I've used the Delos 8 and 10 in the past.  I liked them a lot but the slightly larger FOV, lighter weight, and lower price of Morpheus is tempting.

I have a few more days to think it over.

#11 paradise

paradise

Viking 1

• Loc: FRANCE

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:37 PM

And like every time, everyone has a different opinion... :grin:

About Morpheus, the most often, what we can read/hear is about the position of the eye, not perfect, maybe depending of the EP focals.

I hope I'll be able to test a Morpheus, to compare with my Deloses, to get my own opinion.

Anyway, people are glad of the Morpheus line ! :)

Edited by paradise, 28 January 2017 - 03:47 PM.

#12 paradise

paradise

Viking 1

• Loc: FRANCE

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:47 PM

Hmmmm  ... I've used the Delos 8 and 10 in the past.  I liked them a lot but the slightly larger FOV, lighter weight, and lower price of Morpheus is tempting.

I have a few more days to think it over.

Price, weight, a larger FOV, are important criterions, you are right.

But contrast, eye position, sharpness are important too.

#13 Kent10

Kent10

Skylab

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:49 PM

The 9mm Morpheus has the most eye relief and just a tad too much for me.  I still like it but I prefer the ER on the rest of the series.

#14 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

For those that wear glasses the eyecup of the Morpheus is great because you can keep it folded down and it is completely out of the way.  The eye lense is almost as large as the diameter of the eyepiece so the presentation approaches that "floating" effect that the 28mm RKE is so famous for. 

I would emphasize that the Morpheus does not have any intrinsic blackouts.    The exit pupil is extremely stable.  But if you are someone that struggles to hold the exit pupil on long eye relief eyepieces then the Morpheus eyepieces are no different than any others.

Due to the various distortions of the two designs the 9mm T6 Nagler actually acts more like a 77.6 deg AFOV eyepiece while the 9mm Morpheus acts like a 77.0 deg AFOV eyepiece so there really is very little difference in the TFOV despite the manufacturer specified AFOV values.  The 9mm Morpheus has a 12.1mm field stop and the 9mm T6 has a 12.4mm field stop.

I prefer the Morpheus to the Delos and the XW and cannot wait for the 17.5mm FL to arrive.

• vkhastro1, NiteGuy and gfstallin like this

#15 LunarFox

LunarFox

Ranger 4

• Loc: Eugene, OR

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:59 PM

I really couldn't get comfortable with it. I tried it with the eyecup down to go for the immersion factor but I struggled to keep the exit pupil. When I tried to raise the eyecup of course the flimsy thing fell off.

This pretty much sums up my experience with both the 9mm and 12.5 Morpheus.

Wonderful eyepieces when I was able to keep the exit pupil lined up, but it was far too difficult to hold steady to be enjoyed for long periods. An adjustable eyecup that doesn't fall off would make these eyepieces orders of magnitude easier to use.

#16 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:02 PM

I bought a 9mm Morpheus during the current sale to see what the hype is about.  I have only had it under the stars one night.  I really couldn't get

comfortable with it. I tried it with the eyecup down to go for the immersion factor but I struggled to keep the exit pupil. When I tried to raise the eyecup

of course the flimsy thing fell off. I gave up but plan to try next time with the eyecup already in the up position and use the second supplied cap which

fits over the raised eyecup.  I haven't given it enough eye time of course but so far I like my ES100 9, XW10, and ethos eyepieces better.

I bought a pair of the 9mm Morpheus for use on 100mm Lunt binoculars.  I am having the same problem in keeping the exit pupils.  I don't think it's entirely the long eye relief, as my eyes are deep set, and the eye relief seems useful.  I rely on gentle contact between my nose or eye sockets and the eyecups to keep my eyes centered on the exit pupil.  I think the primary problem for me is the wimpy, not very adjustable eyecup design on this eyepiece.  That said, I also think the 9mm Morpheus is significantly more critical to eye placement, both laterally and eye relief wise, than some other eyepieces.  If I don't get perfect positioning with both eyes I get blackouts.  Obviously, the IPD setting for the bino's is very critical when using the 9mm Morpheus.  When I do get it right, though, the views are fantastic, with the exception of a tiny bit of softness very near the field stop, which does not bother me, for the way I use these eyepieces most of the time.

I understand that the 17.5 mm Morpheus will have a different, metal backed, more rigid eyecup design, when it becomes available.  These hopefully may be available separately and be a worthwhile retrofit to the other Morpheus eyepieces.

• rowdy388 likes this

#17 rowdy388

rowdy388

Gemini

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

For those that wear glasses the eyecup of the Morpheus is great because you can keep it folded down and it is completely out of the way.  The eye lense is almost as large as the diameter of the eyepiece so the presentation approaches that "floating" effect that the 28mm RKE is so famous for. 

I would emphasize that the Morpheus does not have any intrinsic blackouts.    The exit pupil is extremely stable.  But if you are someone that struggles to hold the exit pupil on long eye relief eyepieces then the Morpheus eyepieces are no different than any others.

Due to the various distortions of the two designs the 9mm T6 Nagler actually acts more like a 77.6 deg AFOV eyepiece while the 9mm Morpheus acts like a 77.0 deg AFOV eyepiece so there really is very little difference in the TFOV despite the manufacturer specified AFOV values.  The 9mm Morpheus has a 12.1mm field stop and the 9mm T6 has a 12.4mm field stop.

I prefer the Morpheus to the Delos and the XW and cannot wait for the 17.5mm FL to arrive.

I also bought the ES92 17 which has 21mm eye relief.  That eyepiece is a joy to use. Finding and keeping the exit pupil was simple compared to the

Morpheus 9.  I used both eyepieces with the eyecups down and I don't wear glasses when observing.  I definitely do not have issues with most LER's

including the 28RKE but the Morpheus 9 I found annoying.  I very well may change my opinion if I can get a clear night to test with the eyecup up.

• russell23, Magnitude7 and Miranda2525 like this

#18 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

I bought a pair of the 9mm Morpheus for use on 100mm Lunt binoculars.  I am having the same problem in keeping the exit pupils.  I don't think it's entirely the long eye relief, as my eyes are deep set, and the eye relief seems useful.  I rely on gentle contact between my nose or eye sockets and the eyecups to keep my eyes centered on the exit pupil.  I think the primary problem for me is the wimpy, not very adjustable eyecup design on this eyepiece.  That said, I also think the 9mm Morpheus is significantly more critical to eye placement, both laterally and eye relief wise, than some other eyepieces.  If I don't get perfect positioning with both eyes I get blackouts.  Obviously, the IPD setting for the bino's is very critical when using the 9mm Morpheus.  When I do get it right, though, the views are fantastic, with the exception of a tiny bit of softness very near the field stop, which does not bother me, for the way I use these eyepieces most of the time.

I understand that the 17.5 mm Morpheus will have a different, metal backed, more rigid eyecup design, when it becomes available.  These hopefully may be available separately and be a worthwhile retrofit to the other Morpheus eyepieces.

I have no problems at all using my 9mm Morpheus. No critical eye placement problems.

#19 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:22 PM

I also bought the ES92 17 which has 21mm eye relief.  That eyepiece is a joy to use. Finding and keeping the exit pupil was simple compared to the

Morpheus 9.  I used both eyepieces with the eyecups down and I don't wear glasses when observing.  I definitely do not have issues with most LER's

including the 28RKE but the Morpheus 9 I found annoying.  I very well may change my opinion if I can get a clear night to test with the eyecup up.

The main point I was making about the Morpheus and blackouts is that there are many widefield eyepieces that have as a side-effect of the design kidney beaning and exit pupil issues in general where it is very hard to hold the exit pupil without blackouts.   I did a daytime test of my 3 Morpheus eyepieces and the 20mm XW today while standing which will put the most stress on the exit pupil.

I would agree that the 20mm XW perhaps was more generous with how precisely I had to have my eye placed than the Morpheus eyepieces but it also was the longest FL and therefore had the largest/brightest exit pupil.  While standing I was able to find the sweet spot and hold all 4 eyepieces without blackouts.  I did move my head around to see how easy it was to lost the exit pupil and the 20mm XW was a little easier to keep when I started moving than the 3 Morpheus - but the smaller exit pupils the Morpheus were operating at had to contribute.

From a sitting position when observing at night I have had zero problems holding the exit pupil.   I observe with the eyecups folded down.  I agree the eyecups are flimsy and if I wanted to observe with them up they might be annoying, but I observe with them down so it is not a problem for me.  I will also add that the Morpheus end caps are some of the best I have used - far superior to the annoying caps on TV eyepieces.  The Morpheus caps slide on and off with just the right amount of pressure.  So I'll take that folded down flimsy eyecup. 

• rowdy388 and Miranda2525 like this

#20 rowdy388

rowdy388

Gemini

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

Playing with my Morpheus during the day with the cup rolled up it does seem easier to hold the exit pupil. Funny how we all react differently.

A lot of people had a problem holding the exit pupil with the Radians (separate issue from the instajust eyecup that a lot of people hate)...so much so that Tele Vue came out with a pupil guide to insert inside the eyecup to help. I never needed that guide and just left it in the box.  Dave is probably correct when he says the problem

is more likely at high power combined with long eye relief combined with differing human physiology.

#21 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:27 AM

I am still comparing the 3 types in my scopes, the XW's I've owned for some time, the Delos and Morpheus are the recent arrivals.  IMO the Morpheus presentation pops more like the XW's, the Delos are different there but that is just different and I do like them as well.  The extra fov of the Morpheus is to me noticeable comparing back to back even taking into account the small differences in fl's in my lineup.  I don't have any issues with kidney bean or blackout with any of them but that is just me, I always observe seated comfortably.  I just recently added the focal reducer to my FS-128 but have had zero ep time with it so can't comment there - so in my refractors all observing has been at the native focal lengths of f/7.4 - 8.  I've been lazy and leaving the Paracorr in my Dob and they are all good there.  

• DevilJack likes this

#22 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:52 PM

Playing with my Morpheus during the day with the cup rolled up it does seem easier to hold the exit pupil. Funny how we all react differently.

A lot of people had a problem holding the exit pupil with the Radians (separate issue from the instajust eyecup that a lot of people hate)...so much so that Tele Vue came out with a pupil guide to insert inside the eyecup to help. I never needed that guide and just left it in the box.  Dave is probably correct when he says the problem

is more likely at high power combined with long eye relief combined with differing human physiology.

I have tried the 9mm Morpheus with the eyecups rolled down, and it is even slightly more difficult to keep the exit pupil for me, since there is nothing there to help keep my eyes positioned correctly. 

The longest FL eyepieces I have for the binoc's are a set of Denkmeier 21mm's, which are very easy for me to maintain the exit pupil.  This is not surprising, with the larger exit pupil they provide. 

The shortest FL eyepieces are a pair of ES 4.7mm's, which are actually easier for me to hold the exit pupil than the Morpheus 9mm's, even with the much smaller exit pupil.  I feel like the Morpheus 9's are just less forgiving in terms of in-out eye movement, as this is where I have the most trouble without decent eyecups to help with positioning.  Probably just my eyes, or my wobbly frame, since others seem to have little problem with the Morpheus. 

I do always observe sitting, and without my glasses.  I have tried using them, but don't like it.  Even with long eye relief eyepieces, I have trouble seeing out to anywhere near the field stops. 

• rowdy388 likes this

#23 rowdy388

rowdy388

Gemini

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

I tried the 9 with my glasses on last night also (which I never do but thought was worth a shot) and didn't like it either.  I did have better success

holding the exit pupil with eyecup rolled up but I still was just not feeling the love with this eyepiece.  This was in my f4.9 dob with Paracorr.

Then I switched it into my f6 apo refractor, still with eyecup up, and was surprised how much better I liked it....in fact I liked it a lot.  All the issues

I was having just melted away.  I haven't experienced any other eyepiece where I felt the scope made such a difference.

• turtle86 and russell23 like this

#24 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

I've owned the 9mm and 12.5mm Morpheus, and I found them to be very sharp eyepieces. Ergonomically they simply did not work for me, and I am another who had a hard time holding the exit pupil. I sold them, put the money towards my present Ethos eyepieces and do not miss the Morpheus at all.

• rowdy388 likes this

#25 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:49 PM

Nope, never left the XWs or Ethoi.....wouldn't turn down trying the Morpheus though.

• Steve Cox likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics