•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone go from Morpheus back to Delos/XW/Ethos?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:37 PM

I tried the 9 with my glasses on last night also (which I never do but thought was worth a shot) and didn't like it either.  I did have better success

holding the exit pupil with eyecup rolled up but I still was just not feeling the love with this eyepiece.  This was in my f4.9 dob with Paracorr.

Then I switched it into my f6 apo refractor, still with eyecup up, and was surprised how much better I liked it....in fact I liked it a lot.  All the issues

I was having just melted away.  I haven't experienced any other eyepiece where I felt the scope made such a difference.

Maybe that is why I like them so much with my f/7.5 APO.

#27 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:43 PM

Playing with my Morpheus during the day with the cup rolled up it does seem easier to hold the exit pupil. Funny how we all react differently.

A lot of people had a problem holding the exit pupil with the Radians (separate issue from the instajust eyecup that a lot of people hate)...so much so that Tele Vue came out with a pupil guide to insert inside the eyecup to help. I never needed that guide and just left it in the box.  Dave is probably correct when he says the problem

is more likely at high power combined with long eye relief combined with differing human physiology.

I have tried the 9mm Morpheus with the eyecups rolled down, and it is even slightly more difficult to keep the exit pupil for me, since there is nothing there to help keep my eyes positioned correctly. 

The longest FL eyepieces I have for the binoc's are a set of Denkmeier 21mm's, which are very easy for me to maintain the exit pupil.  This is not surprising, with the larger exit pupil they provide. 

The shortest FL eyepieces are a pair of ES 4.7mm's, which are actually easier for me to hold the exit pupil than the Morpheus 9mm's, even with the much smaller exit pupil.  I feel like the Morpheus 9's are just less forgiving in terms of in-out eye movement, as this is where I have the most trouble without decent eyecups to help with positioning.  Probably just my eyes, or my wobbly frame, since others seem to have little problem with the Morpheus. 

I do always observe sitting, and without my glasses.  I have tried using them, but don't like it.  Even with long eye relief eyepieces, I have trouble seeing out to anywhere near the field stops. 

This is exactly why you're having trouble with the 9mm Morpheus. The 4.7mm ES 82 is a different experience.

Edited by Miranda2525, 31 January 2017 - 02:44 PM.

#28 EuropaWill

EuropaWill

Apollo

• Loc: Lower Hudson Valley NY

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

The Morpheus sale will be ending soon (end of Jan).  I had been contemplating picking up a few Delos and maybe an Ethos but, at the sale price I am tempted to try a set of the Morpheus eyepieces instead.  They have been getting great reviews ... even compared to Delos and XWs.  They even have a touch larger AFOV.

I could buy 3 of the Morpheus for the new price of an Ethos!

Has anyone used Morpheus and decided to switch to Delos, XW, or Ethos?   Why?

It sounds like the Morpheus are optically the equal of XW and Delos.

Thx,

Rob

I think the answer is buy at least 1 Morpheus on sale, and a used Delos.  Try them in your scopes and based on your observations/experience with them you will know which line to continue buying  ;) No downside there since you can just flip the used Delos or sale priced Morpheus for essentially no loss. 

• DevilJack likes this

#29 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:15 PM

The Morpheus sale will be ending soon (end of Jan).  I had been contemplating picking up a few Delos and maybe an Ethos but, at the sale price I am tempted to try a set of the Morpheus eyepieces instead.  They have been getting great reviews ... even compared to Delos and XWs.  They even have a touch larger AFOV.

Thx,

Rob

I think the answer is buy at least 1 Morpheus on sale, and a used Delos.  Try them in your scopes and based on your observations/experience with them you will know which line to continue buying  ;) No downside there since you can just flip the used Delos or sale priced Morpheus for essentially no loss. 

I think that''s a sound move.  The Morpheus is so good if it works for you, it would be a shame to pass it up.  Obviously, others are having great success with it.

Even though I have trouble holding the exit pupil, I can do it for extended periods of time, especially if I take care to get my chair properly aligned with the target, and set at the right height for best comfort behind the instrument.  I like the view so well when I get it right, that I'm not nearly ready to sell them yet.  Since I haven't had them very long, I think it's possible that I'll get better at keeping things lined up eventually, with practice.

Best wishes on your try with the Morpheus, and keep us posted as to which one you get, and how ir works for you.

Rick

#30 Tank

Tank

Soyuz

• Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:41 AM

tried a Morpheus 

sticked to the Delos lineup

Delos have been my favorite WF DSO EPs

#31 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:38 AM

I tried the 9 with my glasses on last night also (which I never do but thought was worth a shot) and didn't like it either.  I did have better success

holding the exit pupil with eyecup rolled up but I still was just not feeling the love with this eyepiece.  This was in my f4.9 dob with Paracorr.

Then I switched it into my f6 apo refractor, still with eyecup up, and was surprised how much better I liked it....in fact I liked it a lot.  All the issues

I was having just melted away.  I haven't experienced any other eyepiece where I felt the scope made such a difference.

Thanks for your post. My Dobs are f/4.3 and f/4.5 so you have me thinking that I probably shouldn't bother with trying one.

• rowdy388 likes this

#32 Rangergeorge

Rangergeorge

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:25 PM

Thx,

Rob

any idea when they go on sale again?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics