•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Refiguring a Dynamax 8" Schmidt Corrector

• Please log in to reply
860 replies to this topic

#851 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:36 PM

I've seen a TEC show similar lines when it was still warming up (garage to indoors). Not saying that's the case here but it's interesting that the DPAC images are strikingly similar to a cooling/warming scope.

Interesting point

-drl

#852 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:25 PM

I've seen a TEC show similar lines when it was still warming up (garage to indoors). Not saying that's the case here but it's interesting that the DPAC images are strikingly similar to a cooling/warming scope.

Good point.  I will have to check that at some point, because I can't remember how long it had been indoors when I did the test.  In any case, I'll have to test it again to determine where the problem is.  So I'll find out before I can do any damage.

-Tim.

#853 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:26 PM

There was an Intes design that looked superficially like a Gregorian Mak but was said to be actually a Rumak. The secondary spot had its own spherical curvature and all optics were spherical. I think this scope is f/10 (correct?) so it may be one of those. 

Yes.  f/10

#854 SteveGR

SteveGR

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:55 PM

Good point.  I will have to check that at some point, because I can't remember how long it had been indoors when I did the test.  In any case, I'll have to test it again to determine where the problem is.  So I'll find out before I can do any damage.

-Tim.

Hopefully that's all it is, it's such a nice looking instrument.

#855 Gil V

Gil V

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:04 PM

All you need to do is follow the directions here....  wink.gif

And spend two years on the project.

#856 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:31 PM

It is  a hobby not my job and that is one reason why it has taken this long.

I showed that I refigured two surfaces from many waves from optically flat  to around 1/10 wave in  two evening because I understood the process. In the case of refiguring the corrector  like I said many times it is  an experiment to find the correct procedure without making a  major mistake. 

Feel free to show us how it is done if you feel you can do it faster. 

- Dave 

• andycknight, TOM KIEHL, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#857 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:35 PM

From Albert Ingalls' Preface to ATM:  "Some of the workers -- a very few -- have strongly urged that the amateur's telescopes be standardized on a few definite type specifications, arguing that this would save labor. Others believe that standardized hobbies connote standardized people with standardized ideas, and that the introduction of mass production and labor-saving ideas of efficiency in connection with a hobby is comparable to hiring a workman to play one's games for him. A hobby should be a way to waste time, not to count it."

• wfj, andycknight, terraclarke and 3 others like this

#858 Gil V

Gil V

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:42 PM

It is a hobby not my job and that is one reason why it has taken this long.
I showed that I refigured two surfaces from many waves from optically flat to around 1/10 wave in two evening because I understood the process. In the case of refiguring the corrector like I said many times it is an experiment to find the correct procedure without making a major mistake.
Feel free to show us how it is done if you feel you can do it faster.

- Dave

Apologies if I crossed a line. Please take my comment in the good humor it was intended.

I do appreciate all your work, you are teaching more than I have capability to learn.

About a year after the plant closed, I ran into the last guy who ever built RV-6 mounts. He was not a smart man by measure of any fair-minded man, but he had a good heart. He said it best:

“Oh well. We tried.”
  • terraclarke, rcwolpert, kansas skies and 4 others like this

#859 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:00 PM

Gil,

Apology accepted. All I keep trying to do is help people enjoy this hobby better and part of that process is to try to separate the fact from the fiction.  Stay tune and I  hope to get back on the corrector soon and hopefully I'll work out a way to fix one if someone  wants to give it a try.

- Dave 

• SteveNH, rcwolpert, bremms and 4 others like this

#860 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:09 PM

A hobby should be a way to waste time, not to count it.

Amen!  I spent about a year -- off & on -- on the Mogey before I called it done.  I've had the Tinsley for years, and it's still a work in progress.  Putting in the sweat equity has given me a real appreciation for what Dave has done with this Dynamax 8.  I draw the line at re-figuring optics, but I'm glad that he's crossed it to present & share this tutorial.

• davidc135 and Augustus like this

#861 Geo31

Geo31

Cosmos

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:42 AM

Hehe...  Yeah, I know.  Not this project.  I was looking at my Celesterion RVC-6N thread the other day.  I've barely touched it in two years.  It's probably 75-80% done, but other priorities in life have crowded it out.  I think it will be done late summer though.

Steady progress is a good thing.  And quite frankly, for me (on this thread), it gives me time to process what Dave is teaching/showing.  None of this has been overwhelming, which would be easy to do.  I'm certainly content to follow along at home.  :grin:  This is one of the best threads on here.

• Bomber Bob likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics