•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best Flat Black Paint?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 vintageoptics

vintageoptics

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:03 AM

Any suggestions on the best, darkest, and flattest black paint one can buy easily for not too much money? I have some adapters and parts with exposed shiny metal surfaces and I would very much like to carefully touch them up with a little bit of flat black paint to get rid of the annoying reflections. Ok guys and gals, what are some of your favorites (with links if you have them)?

#2 J A VOLK

J A VOLK

Apollo

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:12 AM

Krylon Ultra Flat Black is pretty darn good
  • Mr Magoo, noisejammer, sharkmelley and 4 others like this

#3 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:24 AM

I have found many flat black paints to be very black at high incident angles (straight on) but have considerable reflections at low incident angles.

Here in Germany I use Albrecht black chalk board paint. It has an ashen dark grey appearance at high incident angles but goes absolutely black and reflection-less at low angles of incident. It actually looks very similar to the paint I have seen on the inside of high quality camera lenses ad binoculars. It sticks very well to bare metal and is very difficult to remove. The only disadvantage is that it take 2 to 4 days to completely dry to the point that it is no longer producing a oder (outgassing).

You could probably try to source something similar locally. 

Edited by Mad Matt, 31 January 2017 - 04:31 AM.

• vintageoptics likes this

#4 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:58 AM

The ultra-flat is hard to find around here....I have been using flat high-temp barbecue spray, seems as black - straight on, and at an angle - as ultra....and it's in every hardware store.

seems to me a lot of the flatness is remembering to spray from at least a foot away....I think the paint stiffens up a bit more from farther away, and so settles on a little rougher and doesn't flatten so much.

• dave brock, Joe1950 and vintageoptics like this

#5 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:31 AM

The best I have found bar none is Rosco Super Saturated Velour Black #6009 which is a water based paint used primarily by theater companies for blacking out stages and items that need to be hidden. It is a concentrated pigment meant to be mixed in a 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 (water) ratio. I use it in a 1 to 1 mix myself. If I had any complaint it would be that it scrapes off easier than I would like.....but then I don't spend much time scraping around on the inside of my scopes.

#6 pjmulka

pjmulka

Viking 1

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:48 AM

Has anyone ever tried chalkboard paint?

#7 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

Has anyone ever tried chalkboard paint?

Yes, I have, see post #3  :)

Having said that... I have just ordered some Berger Anti reflection pain to try out. According some of the German forums is is the blackest you can get.

#8 spokeshave

spokeshave

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:10 AM

I have recently been doing some experimenting and found the following to work very well:

First, a coat of Rustoleum Textured paint:

https://www.rustoleu...-rust/textured/

This paint, which by the way is a nearly perfect match for the black textured paint that Celestron uses on OTAs and mounts, imparts a very fine grained texture to the surface that will scatter low-angle light. The amount of texture can be controlled somewhat by how far the spray can is kept from the surface. The farther away, the more texture to the surface. The more texture the better. However, it has a definite sheen to it. So, the next step is several coats of Rustoleum black Chalkboard paint:

https://www.rustoleu...alkboard-spray/

The resulting surface is very black, very flat, and scatters low-angle light very well. It is also quite durable.

Tim

• tomykay12, Joe1950 and vintageoptics like this

#9 astrokwang2

astrokwang2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

+1 Krylon Ultra-Flat.   You have to buy it online.   The big box stores stopped selling it years ago.

It must be applied in multiple thin light coats.

I've ordered the stuff from filmtools.com several times.

Based on the recommendations, it sounds like someone needs to do a "shoot-out" of the different paints.

• Joe1950 and vintageoptics like this

#10 highertheflyer

highertheflyer

Apollo

• Loc: Aledo, Texas

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:20 PM

The real usages for a flat black dimpling, perhaps with any of these flat black coatings, is to spray in a sprinkling pattern similar to overspray, allowing a time delay rain like a falling process allowing a drying interval between.  This so the exit from the spray head to the layment upon the blackening surface, with using evaporation in that brief interval inbetween..   If one coats the surface with a heavier direct application, the surface will be blended with an evaporating pool on it's surface, and for naught a blackening lumpiness will not occur.

Jim

Edited by highertheflyer, 31 January 2017 - 02:38 PM.

#11 Lola Bruce

Lola Bruce

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:58 PM

+ 1 more Krylon ultra flat black. It is used in the film business and photography for it's lack of sheen. Note that all of the very flat blacks I have used appear to the eye to be very dark grey including Scope Stuff adhesive backed flocking.

Bruce

#12 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:10 PM

+1 for Krylon Ultra Flat.  I buy it at my ACE Hardware.  It's now sold as a camoflage paint with olive green and other colors.  Same stuff, different label.

#13 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:09 AM

Krylon ultra flat black is often in the box stores too.  Last batch I got had a different label but the bottom of the can still said "Ultra Flat Black" ... worth a look.

#14 pjmulka

pjmulka

Viking 1

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:29 AM

I picked up some Krylon Ultra-Flat today at aco hardware. Finishing up blackening all the shiny hardware inside the tube. It is in fact really good, really flat paint!
Pete.

#15 pjmulka

pjmulka

Viking 1

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:33 AM

The can I got was marketed as hunting camouflage paint but did say Ultra-Flat black

Krylon ultra flat black is often in the box stores too. Last batch I got had a different label but the bottom of the can still said "Ultra Flat Black" ... worth a look.

#16 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Surveyor 1

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:51 PM

+1 Krylon Ultra-Flat.   You have to buy it online.   The big box stores stopped selling it years ago.

It must be applied in multiple thin light coats.

I've ordered the stuff from filmtools.com several times.

Based on the recommendations, it sounds like someone needs to do a "shoot-out" of the different paints.

Try the auto parts stores, all of them around here seem to have it.

Edited by Bob4BVM, 01 February 2017 - 04:51 PM.

#17 telesonic

telesonic

Mariner 2

• Loc: SW Idaho - USA

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:02 PM

Try the auto parts store +1

I can confirm that, I work in one.  :D

Ours didn't have the ultra-flat - but as others have mentioned, the Krylon camo is ultra flat. I used that in the tube of our little shorty 80mm, and it worked dang good.

#18 vintageoptics

vintageoptics

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:04 PM

Thank you so much everyone! Time to order some Krylon! :-)

#19 jim kuhns

jim kuhns

Viking 1

• Loc: southeast GA.

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:37 AM

This is the best flat paint I gave used and found over the years. Very dark and goes on nicely.

Attached Thumbnails

• 003.jpg
  • 004.jpg

• roscoe likes this

#20 john gabriel

john gabriel

Viking 1

• Loc: Goleta, California

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:32 AM

Hello folks,

I have been reading this for a couple of days and it seems a good place to ask my question.  Perhaps you are speaking of tubes that are really big.  How does one spray flat black paint into a tube that is only 3 or 4 inches in diameter?  Or do you even try?  Thank you!   :)

John

#21 Rusted

Rusted

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:16 AM

Hello folks,

I have been reading this for a couple of days and it seems a good place to ask my question.  Perhaps you are speaking of tubes that are really big.  How does one spray flat black paint into a tube that is only 3 or 4 inches in diameter?  Or do you even try?  Thank you!   :)

John

I [deliberately] use a toothbrush with a twirling action from both ends of the tube to give a ridged effect.

Allows me to reach about 15" without my hand needing to go deep inside the tube.

I wear disposable surgical gloves when matt blacking anything [with brush-on water-based blackboard paint].

Saves a lot of fiddling about trying to hold awkward bits and bobs without getting blackened fingers.

Note the paint free thumb:  :waytogo: 

• john gabriel likes this

#22 Andreas-TAL

Andreas-TAL

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North-Bavaria

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:57 AM

In Germany I´ll regularly use "Tetenal Camera Spray".

Definitely a very good choice too - its a pigmented spray paint, giving really "light-dead" surfaces. It is often used after professional camera repairs or for surface matting of optical measuring components.

Tetenal surfaces are not scratch resistant, due to the micro pigments.

http://www.tetenal.c...ages/105202.pdf

Andreas-TAL

Edited by Andreas-TAL, 02 February 2017 - 12:23 PM.

#23 turnerjs085

turnerjs085

Apollo

• Loc: AZ

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:20 AM

I have found that the bbq spray paint is pretty good for blackening, showing less NIR scatter than blackboard paint or "normal" spray paint. That is not really important for a visual scope, but for use with a camera it helps.

The best flat black that I have ever used is Aeroglaze z306 with the wash primer, NOT the epoxy primer. It is expensive, extremely toxic, and difficult to work with of course ;)

Jeremy

#24 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Skylab

• Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio 41.11N --Bloomdale

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:26 PM

Hello folks,

John

The few small tubes I blackened internally weren't even attempted with spray paint.  I used the flattest black paint I could find in a can and applied a couple of coats using a paint roller with the wire handle straightened out.  This method will allow you to paint tubes with inside diameters scarcely larger than the roller, and smaller diameter rollers are available too.

• roscoe, john gabriel and BillHarris like this

#25 telesonic

telesonic

Mariner 2

• Loc: SW Idaho - USA

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:35 PM

John -

When I painted the inside of our little 80mm refractor, I just kind of held the can back a distance and lightly misted the paint in at an angle. 

But, that OTA is only like 5 or so inches long - so it was easy peas, just fog in a coat - let dry and repeat however many times until happy.

A longer tube would need a better method methinks.

Use some blue painters tape on the outside to prevent overspray. ;)

Then go to town on it.

cheers,

T

• john gabriel likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics