•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 8" LX200GPS wedge mount bolt lengths?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Wraye

Ray Wraye

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:43 AM

Hi all,

I recently purchased a used wedge from my 8" LX200GPS.

However, it did not include the bolts for securing the scope to the wedge.

My research turned up the thread and size, 3/8" - 16 (please feel free to correct me if I am wrong there!)

However, I cannot find the length of said bolts.

I am just hoping someone has been through this and knows the length off hand, so as to save me some trial and error.

Thanks everyone!

#2 Ray Wraye

Ray Wraye

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:27 PM

Just in case someone is looking for the information I was seeking.

The wedge to telescope bolts are 2" long.

I ended up using  SS Socket Set Screws which are 3" long as I wanted the stud/bolt mounting.

Ray

#3 mindshare

mindshare

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario Canada

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:44 AM

Does this also work 2" long 3/8 bolts for the LX200 Classic 8" wedge?

#4 Ray Wraye

Ray Wraye

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:51 AM

Yes, I believe they would. 

#5 Ptkacik

Ptkacik

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:03 PM

I don't currently have or use a wedge but on my old one, there was a slot for the top screw.

By using a screw rather than a stud on the top threaded hole, you can lift the forks up and slide that loose top screw onto the wedge, (hooking it into the slot). Then without tightening anything, the fork mount was retained until you could get the other fasteners on.

To me, one of the biggest problems with scopes is how heavy and fragile things are that must be lifted to silly heights.

Clear skies,
Peter

#6 Ray Wraye

Ray Wraye

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:32 PM

Peter,

Yes, I was torn between studs and bolts for the same reason you mentioned. I went with 3" studs and on the stud for the slotted hole, I used a knob. The 3" length of the studs allows me to use the slot, but it is likely easier with a bolt, as you mentioned. I don't plan on taking it on/off regularly as I just wheel the out scope out of the garage when I need it.  That being said, I would NOT recommend the stud mounting with anything larger than my 8" LX200GPS. 

While we (I) are on the subject, I made several modifications to the standard wedge I bought (used) that have worked out very well. If anyone is interested you are welcome to read on.

Being a cheapskate, I opted for the standard wedge due to it's price and availability on the used market, and since my scope is 8", it does not require heavy duty wedges, per say. But I did want smooth and precise adjustments. 

I cut a piece of 1/8" Teflon into a circle the same diameter as my scope base, nothing special there, just some work making a jig for my router table. (Teflon machines like butter !!)

But was the most expensive part of the upgrade at $30. Naturally, this ended up between the tripod and the wedge. 

I then replaced then 5/16"-16 latitude adjustment knob with a 3/8-24" stainless rod and aluminum knurled knob I bought on an auction site. Drilling out the stabilizer bar for the larger rod was not hard, but took some time setting up on my little drill press. In the end I simply run the original 5/16" rod through the knob and up into the drill chuck to center everything up before I drilled it. This was (is) likely overkill and one could easily do it with a hand drill with patience. I than threaded (tapped) the bored out bar for the 3/8-24 rod. Tap and drill cost was less than $10. I had to flip the stabilizer bar end for end to all the larger knob to engage the tilt plate correctly. I then added a scrape piece of Teflon to the tilt plate to engage the adjustment rod, and added a chrome acorn nut to the rod to allow the larger adjustment rod to push the tilt plate smoothly. And that it does, with the ideas I found here on CN and other websites, I added nylon washers to the tilt plate knobs. 

I then used the old "car guy" trick of wet sanding the contact points between the tilt plate and the wedge sides. ( I warned you I was cheap) in lieu of machining anything. I used #1000 grit I bought at the local auto parts store on both surfaces and in less than 5 minutes, they were smooth as silk. I then added the hardest auto wax I had to both, and reassembled the wedge. 

I (again using CN and internet resources) put a longer 1/2-13" threaded rod (local hardware store, 12" long) into the tripod/spreader assembly and used a "captive" bolt I rounded with a drill and a file. The longer rod allowed me to use another aluminum knob (from the same auction site) to replace the plastic knob typical supplied with the Meade wedge (yeah, you lose the compass) as well as to pull the wedge off without collapsing the tripod. This mod is described on an old ATM thread, so I am not claiming credit here, but I did mod it to my needs.  

After assembling everything, I was VERY pleased with the upgraded wedge. The Teflon plate allows SMOOTH RA adjustments, and the large knob and captive shaft made everything very solid and secure.  But simply loosing the knob a touch, the RA floats !

The upgraded 3/8-24 latitude adjuster, with the larger knurled knob, was equally pleasing. With the nylon washers, and "wet-sanded" contact points, the latitude adjustment is very precise and smooth, especially with the fine thread on the new adjuster shaft.

This is just for informational purposes, and to try and payback all the other's whose ideas I used in my wedge mods. I readily (and gratefully) acknowledge all the posters who showed me the way on this.

If anyone is interested, I can post some pictures of the work I did.

Ray

#7 saif1a

saif1a

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 January 2019 - 03:58 PM

Hi Ray, are you still in this forum? I'd be interested in your wedge mod pictures. Did you use 2 Teflon sheets between tripod to wedge. I was considering two 1mm thick sheets as an air sandwich.
How did you fasten the acorn nut under the wedge plate and where did you fi d the part? Any ideas of the thread measure and fasteners for the angle adjust knobs?

#8 Ray Wraye

Ray Wraye

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:59 PM

Hello,

Yes, Still lurking here and there.

I only used a single sheet of teflon, 

I fastened the acorn nut using red loctite  

I can check on the length of the bolts, as I still have the wedge.  I don't use it has I have a larger scope now.

I can dig up some pictures but I sold one just like it a few months back and was set up pretty much the same way, so there are photos there as well.

Ray

https://www.cloudyni...ge-for-8-lx200/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics