•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI071MC-Cool First Light report

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:29 AM

Hi scopenitout:

In my neck of the woods, in the winter, we get one clear night a month - at most! It's extremely depressing. :-(  I did get one partially clear night in February and was able to get a few hours on M51. So I've taken a total of 2 real images with this camera since I had it in December - Orion and M51.

I'm not as happy with this one, but I probably needed more time on it.  Plus, because I was anticipating clouds later in the night, I started exposing early when the sky background was a little brighter and based my 20xRN mean value on that.  As the night got darker, I realized my mean was dropping substantially and I should have used longer exposures.  In any case, it has more noise than I'd like, as well as a number of other issues.  But it's still way better than my last attempt on it a couple years back with my T3i.

Taken with EdgeHD 8 on iOptron iEQ45 Pro mount

Lights: 60 x 180 seconds

Darks, Flats, Bias: 50 each

Filter: IDAS LPS-D1

M51%2017-02-19%20PsF1_1000px_zpsidn4lzxi

-Dan

• jgraham, GooglyEyes, Zebenelgenubi and 1 other like this

#27 scopenitout

scopenitout

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mt. Belzoni

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:41 AM

Thank you, Dan!

Yeah...weather seems to be bad for this hobby just about everywhere.

But your image? It looks very nice. I think this camera is a great choice for those who want a DSLR replacement.

#28 mahaffm

mahaffm

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New Philadelphia, Ohio

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

Very Nice Dan, thanks for sharing.

I'm still learning both the imaging side of things as well as the imaging processing side. From what I've been able to do so far the ASI071 is a very good camera. Just need more clear sky so I can work with this camera more.

#29 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:11 PM

Dan; do you recall the gain and offset that you used for this?

Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics