•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Old Scopes and Modern Imaging

ccd classic equipment imaging
  • Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

#301 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:12 PM

Thanks JW, and everybody, for the likes! I really appreciate the encouragement and putting things in perspective. I tried some film astrophotography a long, long time ago, all pretty basic stuff. The wait to get the pictures developed, then to find out that only a couple were worth saving....yeah, today's cameras and processing technology sure makes it a lot more fun to me. Plus the instant gratification spurs me on to keep trying to improve. Thanks again! V/R Terry
  • terraclarke, Bomber Bob and Stephen Kennedy like this

#302 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:29 AM

I stayed up late in hopes of clear skies and the Moon setting so I could attempt some deep sky with the Tele Vue Genesis (non-sdf) and Sony A7S camera. Well, lots of passing clouds showed up which made it a real challenge. The only part of the sky half way decent was near the Big Dipper. So, I tried for M51 Whirlpool Galaxy. I could only manage 30 captures shooting at ISO 6400 at 25 seconds each. Some still had clouds in it. Anyway, this is what I came up with. It is heavily cropped so not as crisp as I would like. But, still nice to get capture something tonight. Another hiccup was with the GP DX mount. The gears started making lots of clicking noises and weren't engaging all the time. Not sure what's going on with it. Final image cropped and downsized, then converted to jpg for posting. Still pretty blurry.

V/R

Terry

Attached Thumbnails

• wp tvg cn2 jpg.jpg

Edited by TerryWood, 12 March 2019 - 03:30 AM.

• Paul Schroeder, tim53, DreamWeaver and 12 others like this

#303 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:10 AM

I stayed up late in hopes of clear skies and the Moon setting so I could attempt some deep sky with the Tele Vue Genesis (non-sdf) and Sony A7S camera. Well, lots of passing clouds showed up which made it a real challenge. The only part of the sky half way decent was near the Big Dipper. So, I tried for M51 Whirlpool Galaxy. I could only manage 30 captures shooting at ISO 6400 at 25 seconds each. Some still had clouds in it. Anyway, this is what I came up with. It is heavily cropped so not as crisp as I would like. But, still nice to get capture something tonight. Another hiccup was with the GP DX mount. The gears started making lots of clicking noises and weren't engaging all the time. Not sure what's going on with it. Final image cropped and downsized, then converted to jpg for posting. Still pretty blurry.

V/R

Terry

Wow!  That is beautiful!

• TerryWood likes this

#304 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:37 AM

Thanks a lot! wouldn't you know but it cleared up later. By then it was just too cold and windy to stay out for long. Might try again tonight after midnight. The motors on the mount are giving me real problems, so I may have to go to plan B. V/R Terry

#305 DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:01 AM

Nice shot for 25 second subs!

• TerryWood likes this

#306 Thomas77

Thomas77

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:55 PM

I was looking for my first telescope, but i'm in college right now and didn't have too much money too spend. While I was looking around I found a Pentax 85 for $400 a few months ago for the scope and mount. I used it for just looking around the sky for a couple months then I thought it would be cool if i could make it track. I got lucky and found the original Ra motor and picked up an astrophysics dual axis drive corrector with the auto guider. A few days ago the sky cleared up and I took everything outside and took some pictures of the Orion nebula and the moon. The motor seemed be a bit fast so for Orion I was only able to do 25 sec exposures before the stars looked too blurry an then stacked about 40 in deep sky stacker. Its not great but its better than with my 50mm lens on a regular tripod. Hopefully if the auto guider still works i'll be able to get longer exposures. For the moon I think I stacked 30 exposures in AutoStakkert. This image of the moon is better than the first time I took it.

Orion nebula with Pentax 85
Moon with Pentax 85

• davidmcgo, tim53, astro140 and 8 others like this

#307 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:10 AM

Image from my 2011 post with a Unitron 150 with early style ALT/AZ mount and hand held camera. Very challenging!!!

2011 Post

“I went a different route with the video capture this evening. In the spirit of Jason H, I captured the video with a little Nikon S220 10Meg point and shoot camera in video mode, hand held over a Meade 6.7 UWA eyepiece. I was able to capture about 600 frames before Jupiter drifted out of view. Registax did not like the AVI codec so I went on line and found a neat little program called Virtualdub which converted the Nikon video to a bitmap. I then imported it into Registax and Viola! This may work for other point and shoots as well. Now the only problem is that the little point and shoot does not give you alot of manual control of gain, saturation, gamma etc, but I think the image turned out OK considering the capture method. Not to mention, the seeing was not very good as we have a front approaching. Anyway, it was very challenging and alot of fun.

Got this through some holes in the clouds:”

E5D96700-5DB4-461C-AB7C-ED3E45D1F62F.jpeg

another image, same method iirc

64B0222A-50AB-4673-919C-0C89B70265B0.jpeg

• davidmcgo, astro140, Karl Fabian and 9 others like this

#308 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:41 PM

Great Scott!  [sorry - couldn't resist!]   Seriously, those are great shots with a hand-held.  My hand isn't steady enough for it -- the results are a blurry mess.

I don't think I did any imaging with that Unitron 152, but I did get Jupiter & the GRS with the Model 142:

Unitron 142 - Jupiter (GRS) 20180607V05A64R51.jpg

Not too shabby for a 1950s 3" F15 achromatic.

• davidmcgo, Karl Fabian, TerryWood and 4 others like this

#309 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 31 March 2019 - 12:18 AM

Wow, the images above are all pretty amazing! Inspired me to get out there tonight. The weather did not call for any clearing, but looking at the radar showed there was a clear space before the rain moved in. The wind was gusting over 20 mph and I don't have much to block it since I live on a ridge top. I really didn't think the scope and mount would be able to handle that, but I wanted to try anyway. The scope was a TeleVue Genesis (non-sdf) on a Great Polaris DX mount. Camera was a Sony A7S shooting at ISO 6400 for 38 frames at 25 seconds each. That was the most I could get before clouds took over. 

I went a little overboard on the labels...

This still looks a little fuzzy because I had to crop it heavily to zoom in. Processed in DSS, Lightroom and Gimp, then downsized and converted to jpeg for posting. 

I appreciate you having a look!

V/R

Terry

Attached Thumbnails

• TV Genesis Mar 31 2019 jpg.jpg

Edited by TerryWood, 31 March 2019 - 12:31 AM.

• Paul Schroeder, JonH, terraclarke and 7 others like this

#310 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:14 PM

I gave my Swift 838 to our youngest grandson.  Here's a raw image from that remarkable little scope:

S838MOON20170402V06_g5_ap15.png

(It's all sturm und drang tonight, so I'm going through all my astro-imaging folders.)

• DreamWeaver, TerryWood, terraclarke and 3 others like this

#311 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:22 PM

Tried to capture the Moon occulting Aldebaran with the Dakin 4:

DAK4OCC20170305V02_g5_ap15_conv.jpg

• CharlieB, DreamWeaver and TerryWood like this

#312 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:30 PM

Capturing & Removing false color from images made with my Edmund 4" F15:

Edmund 4 - Moon 20170707V01AR01.jpg Edmund 4 - Moon 20170707V01AR13.jpg

It's almost always in the brightest parts of crater rims, and often the peaks / ridges at (or poking above) the terminator.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 11 May 2019 - 09:32 PM.

• CharlieB, clamchip, DreamWeaver and 7 others like this

#313 Van Do9:3

Van Do9:3

Vostok 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:35 AM

JW, beautiful lunar images. Have you tried imaging the lunar wall, or Rupes Recta? Visually good around 1st and 3rd quarter moon.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#314 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:51 AM

Thanks!  Yes, after years of digital imaging, I've captured The Wall.  The problem?  I didn't label most images with a highlighted feature, so finding an example...  would be tough!

• Van Do9:3 likes this

#315 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:32 AM

I really like those rays and the occultation! Nice images!

I wasn't going to post these, but thought "oh, why not." 

Here are a few from May 7th of Jupiter, Saturn, and the Sun using my TeleVue Genesis (non-sdf), B&L 6000 (Dynamax 6), and pre-Meade Coronado 60. The seeing was looking steady at the very beginning of imaging but quickly went downhill, so the final images did not come out nearly as good as I had hoped. The h-alpha image has a big dust bunny in the lower right corner that I did not remove because I'm lazy today.

V/R

Terry

Attached Thumbnails

• J1 TVG LR jpg.jpg
  • 05_04_02_g4_ap26 SATURN TVG jpg.jpg
  • 03_42_53_g4_ap25 Registax 1 Jupiter D6 jpg.jpg
  • 07_26_32_g4_ap1372 S2 Coronado 60 jpg.jpg

• Paul Schroeder, JonH, terraclarke and 7 others like this

#316 Dartguy

Dartguy

Apollo

• Loc: Louisville

Posted 01 July 2019 - 02:43 PM

I had some decent skies for once, this weekend, and tried a few attempts at Jupiter.  No idea why it turned out in black and white, no idea why it took over 30 minutes to find the dang planet in the camera, and no idea how I had the patience to keep at it for that long.  But here is the weak attempt.

Jup 10

• DreamWeaver, Marc-Andre, JonH and 5 others like this

#317 Peter_D

Peter_D

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Troisdorf, Germany

Posted 05 July 2019 - 04:31 AM

Some really inspiring photos on here!

A couple of nights ago, used my r114m, Huawei P9, 25mm Ortho and a Barlow x5 to take a short video of Jupiter. The heat and Jupiter's low elevation  ensured conditions were not the best.

Was only able to get a short video but used PIPP to convert the mp4 to avi and then used Registax 6.

Baby steps I know but an improvement on my last attempt. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190705_112835.jpg

• DreamWeaver, JonH, terraclarke and 3 others like this

#318 Peter_D

Peter_D

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Troisdorf, Germany

Posted 05 August 2019 - 05:20 AM

Hi,

Last Saturday evening, I observed Jupiter in the evening twilight. I used a Vixen r114m and Huawei P9 smartphone to take a short video.

Sorry for the size and quality but interesting that I captured Europa transiting (21:57 CET). Europa is just visible as a white speck on the Jovian limb just past 6 o'clock and its shadow is at 3 o'clock. I wasn't sure what moon it was so used the app Moons of Jupiter to confirm.

Seeing was still poor but comparatively better than recent weeks.

Clear skies

Peter

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190804_133837.jpg

• PeriodicTrends and jcruse64 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ccd, classic, equipment, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics