•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NexDome User Experience

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Nanaimo, BC

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:29 PM

I've had my Nexdome (just the dome part - not the body) for over 4 yrs now so can't respond about recent purchases.

While it isn't essential to motorize the rotation of the dome...it is highly recommended as you will end up manually moving its position every 1/2 hr - 1 hr otherwise. That becomes tedious real quick.

The shutter does not need to be motorized - unless you plan to be 100% remote? If not, then its simple just to raise it manually. Note that I have both the rotator and the shutter motorized.

I also stop the shutter shortly after starting to open it to wipe of dew/rain that may drip just a bit - so because I am not remote (100' from the house) the shutter is more of a "cool" factor :)

• OrionNebula32 and Eliserpens like this

#27 OrionNebula32

OrionNebula32

Mariner 2

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:25 PM

Following as I am preparing to buy one soon. Ive been doing some hw on these and SkyShed pods and for an extra $100 i find this one to be more functional, weather resistant, security and the area of view. 
Would love to know so im not jumping the gun here. I am one of those people who will be super upset if anything comes with a single scratch. I buy used if i dont mind a scratch or missing bolt. And in regards to the damaged panel mentioned prior, that would grind my **** gears really bad lol. 

Pete 

#28 Ron in Michigan

Ron in Michigan

Ranger 4

• Loc: W. Michigan

Posted 30 September 2020 - 06:01 PM

Could someone please let me know whether it is essential to motorize the dome and shutter?  Also, it seems that NEXDOME had a lot of customer issues with delivery and quality.  Are there any recent purchasers that can comment on whether there have been any improvements?

thanks

Elise

They are shipping much faster - usually around 4-6 weeks!   They've re designed out flaws in the dome shape... lots of tweaks.  We have a active fb group. 

I've had mine around 4 years now and Nexdome just sent (shipping free and panels free)  3 replacement panels that had cracked. I'm not sure but I THINK I CRACKED THEM - when ice formed I'd smack them with a brook stick to remove it.
So I think it was my fault.  They sent me new ones no problem. AND they gifted me a free dome canvas cover to boot. 

No you do not have to automate it.  I didn't plan on it at first... and at that time it could not be done. the rotator came out soon after I bought mine and I added that. I used the shutter manually to open and close. You can rotate the dome manually from being inside. HOWEVER without the plan to.  I added the shutter and have fully automated the process.   I'm 100 yards from the dome and I can image from in the house without ever leaving my desk.  I go to bed and in the morning it's done and closed up safe and sound.

I can also image with it remotely from anywhere int he world with a internet connection.  I imaged all night from my Son's house in MD while my dome is in Michigan. It was quite amazing. Especially when it started raining (I had no clue) and I wondered why the dome closed.   HUH?  what the...   I so a little checking and we had a flash storm pop up and I didn't get a drop inside. 

improvements. 
1. rotator and shutter fixes
2. all new firmware 3.3 has eliminated any and all the little issues I had.
3. New molds remove the "gutter" from the outside of the dome that use to collect water. (I still have the old and found FLEX SEAL LIQUID) filled the gutters perfectly. LOVE IT

• PeteM likes this

#29 Ron in Michigan

Ron in Michigan

Ranger 4

Posted 30 September 2020 - 06:06 PM

BABAK is really good at standing behind the product. YEP there are some  (it's a small shop) mistakes, but he fixes them up quickly if found. 
The pod get HOT the walls are double lined. (the area between the 2 walls is like a oven) it just grows hoter all day.  Also when open the pod is 1/2 open.  TO MUCH FOR ME
I won't want dew on my gear and I don't want any more mosquitos then I have to.  HOWEVER I''ve been remote and neither of those things bother me any more... but I do like keeping the DEW off my cameras and gear.

No way to automate the pod. There is no comparison. I was about to order a pod until the owner of that company bad mouthed nexdome.  (I NEVER HEARD OF NEXDOME UNTIL THEN).  I said - hold me order... and checked out nexdome and was so glad he turned me onto it. I wanted the REAL DOME not the LIL Tykes dome playset ;-) 

We talk to the fimware author and owner of Nexdome almost daily in the facebook group.  

4 years for me and it's the BEST PURCHASE I EVER MADE IN THIS HOBBY. 

• torsinadoc likes this

#30 palaback

palaback

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:02 PM

I have a Exploradome but issues with automation are the same. Works great as manual setup, but now that I am wanting to take longer exposures, doing more advanced photography, automated rotation is now my top priority. Its definitely a pain staying up all night just to rotate the dome. I was planning on retrofitting a nexdome rotation kit to my Exploradome. Shutter automation would be useful for several things. It allows complete automation and remote control, also its pretty simple to get a rain/cloud detection device so then it automatically seals up and protects everything from rain in case weather changes during the night. Nowadays the technology is pretty impressive, you can buy pretty much all you need to make a fully automated setup and it no longer costs an arm and a leg.

• OrionNebula32 likes this

#31 Ron in Michigan

Ron in Michigan

Ranger 4

Posted 16 October 2020 - 02:51 PM

I go to bed at leave it shooting. I have a cloudwatcher solo that closes up if clouds or a raindrop hits. My mount parks my RASA face down since I don't cap it.
I have a video more for showing NINA but shows my dome usage as well.  I'm in the house at my computer desk. The dome is 100 yards to my S. out the window.

Dome operation is initated at 4:30 into the video. 

https://www.youtube....g2OWK16Y&t=641s

legs.JPG

RASA 11.JPG

chipsinSM.jpg

Edited by Ron in Michigan, 16 October 2020 - 03:03 PM.

• palaback, PeteM and OrionNebula32 like this

#32 PeteM

PeteM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Southwest Michigan

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:56 PM

Ron, thanks for the heads up on the FB group for NexDome. I am really close to pulling the trigger on getting one. Hopefully I can get it and assembled before we are too deep into winter.

• Ron in Michigan likes this

#33 Ron in Michigan

Ron in Michigan

Ranger 4

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:23 PM

SW MI?  me too - where are you?  I'm West side of Grand Rapids.

Ron, thanks for the heads up on the FB group for NexDome. I am really close to pulling the trigger on getting one. Hopefully I can get it and assembled before we are too deep into winter.

#34 Ron in Michigan

Ron in Michigan

Ranger 4

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:27 PM

Oh you're the PETE from facebook.  You use to live down the road - but where did you move too?  I may be able to help you put it together. 

• PeteM likes this

#35 PeteM

PeteM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Southwest Michigan

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:28 PM

Oh you're the PETE from facebook.  You use to live down the road - but where did you move too?  I may be able to help you put it together. 

Yup the same one. I moved down south of Kalamazoo. Still on fence to ordering the dome. How many pods do you have?

#36 jwoody

jwoody

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 October 2020 - 03:25 PM

Hello

I notice that the FB group has archived, or has it moved elsewhere?

Jeremy

#37 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Nanaimo, BC

Posted 20 October 2020 - 04:37 PM

Hello

I notice that the FB group has archived, or has it moved elsewhere?

Jeremy

Yes, not sure why it was archived...but it now lives here :)

https://www.facebook...group&ref=notif

#38 jwoody

jwoody

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:06 PM

Yes, not sure why it was archived...but it now lives here smile.gif

https://www.facebook...group&ref=notif

Thanks for that

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics