•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Whatcha gonna buy at NEAF?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 rzep8

rzep8

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Flemington, NJ

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:19 PM

Well, I mentioned NEAF in passing to my wife and she commented "Oh no not that thing again. What are you going to buy this year?"

Actually, until that point, I hadn't thought of anything that I'd like. Wellll... that comment got the gears turning. So maybe an AT65EDQ?

• George N, bilgebay, saberonyx and 2 others like this

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:15 PM

Tickets to the raffle drawing

• saberonyx, darkstar3d and Augustus like this

#3 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:49 PM

If I don't buy it before, either the Skywatcher 100MM F5.5 APO or the SVQ 100MM F5.8.

Those 2 are my number 1 items.

I would consider an Espirit 150MM, but thats not happening :(

• darkstar3d and Augustus like this

#4 The Ardent

The Ardent

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:52 PM

I thought you were partial to Astro-Physics.

If I don't buy it before, either the Skywatcher 100MM F5.5 APO or the SVQ 100MM F5.8.

I'm gonna buy three tanks of gas and two nights at a hotel, $40 in tolls, and seven restaurant meals.
  • afrancis, saberonyx, darkstar3d and 4 others like this

#5 Holltim4103

Holltim4103

Ranger 4

• Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:42 PM

I will be on the lookout for a Lunt LS80THa B1800 with a feather touch. If one of the dealers has it in stock and I can walk away with it at NEAF, I will pull the trigger.  I also plan on looking at the meteorites and picking one out. 

• Tyson M likes this

#6 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:10 PM

I thought you were partial to Astro-Physics.

I'm gonna buy three tanks of gas and two nights at a hotel, $40 in tolls, and seven restaurant meals.

Roland said he won't sell me one.

• Augustus likes this

#7 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:12 PM

I will be on the lookout for a Lunt LS80THa B1800 with a feather touch. If one of the dealers has it....... 

Call 'um up and tell them to bring you one. It has worked for me in the past. Marcus even brought me a couple of eyepieces from Germany last year.

#8 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:14 PM

I'm definitely gonna get a beer at the Crowne bar both nights......  ;)

• Pinbout and darkstar3d like this

#9 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:06 PM

As someone who has worked NEAF as a dealer they are always looking to sell. If there is something you REALLY want then make plans with your dealer of choice. We have shipped tons of stuff to NEAF that was worked out ahead of time. Its the best time to make a deal for something you want. Dealers only have so much room to ship stuff so if there is something you want, work the dealer before hand. 

Several manufacturers look to sell their both to a dealer at the show (we dont want to ship open box items back home). You can figured out what dealer is handling the sale of that booth and purchase the display items. At the end of the show on Sunday you can take your stuff home. 

Edited by skyward_eyes, 16 February 2017 - 12:08 PM.

• George N likes this

#10 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:17 PM

Several manufacturers look to sell their both to a dealer at the show (we dont want to ship open box items back home). You can figured out what dealer is handling the sale of that booth and purchase the display items. At the end of the show on Sunday you can take your stuff home. 

I bought a display mount from one of the 'major GEM makers' late on Sunday two years ago ~ right from the maker, not a dealer. I had to ask, and they said "Sure!" They even took the display mount apart and packed it up for me...... and gave me an additional small discount ta boot......

However...... one thing to keep in mind...... things really slow down late Sunday afternoon, as many - or at least some - start packing up a little early to beat the building lock-up time. Also, the exhibit floor closes well before the end of the final main presentation and raffle drawing in the auditorium. If you go to that, you will not be able to get back on the floor to pick up stuff.

Bottom line: arrange to pick up your item near the end of the day on Sunday and take it out to your vehicle, but early enough to make the final presentation ( if you want to see it ).

#11 The Ardent

The Ardent

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:43 PM

George there must be some time dilation effect as you spend 16 hours a day at the Teeter booth when for the rest of only 8 hours pass.

#12 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:55 PM

Maybe one of Uncle Al's new "electronic Naglers"!

There are reports (see star party area) that Al Nagler is walking around at the Winter Star Party with an "electronic eyepiece" and has said "There might be more info about it at NEAF!"

• saberonyx likes this

#13 jpbutler

jpbutler

Apollo

• Loc: Edison, NJ

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

T shirt and a raffle ticket. 

#14 Herr Ointment

Herr Ointment

Cosmos

• Loc: North of 64

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:29 PM

There are reports (see star party area) that Al Nagler is walking around at the Winter Star Party with an "electronic eyepiece" and has said "There might be more info about it at NEAF!"

Shouldn't this be posted in eyepieces in big capital letters?

This is BIG!

#15 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:21 AM

This is BIG!

Nah, probably Uncle Al is now part of the Borg collective...

• darkstar3d likes this

#16 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:31 PM

This is BIG!

Nah, probably Uncle Al is now part of the Borg collective...

Or maybe he is just drumming up attendance for NEAF...... which he did help found, and is a member of the club that runs it.....

We'll just all have to wait and see what goes down at NEAF...... but that is where Televue has always premiered new products.

One friend said they will probably cost $3,000 each...... so that means I'll need $6,000 for a pair for my bino-viewer.......  ;) 

#17 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:38 PM

I was going to buy a telescope but I got one already so only thing I need is a dew strap (a 4" inch one) thats it.

#18 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

I stopped going to the show even though it's only a couple hours drive away. I will be taking advantage to get a new Mach1 and ATIK 16200 when the vendors are offering specials during the show timeframe.

#19 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:01 PM

I go every year.  sometimes i buy stuff, other times I just browse.   Its difficult to pull the trigger on a new item when so often you can find the same thing at 30% or more cheaper slightly used.  Still its a lot of fun to see the new tech and new vendors.  One of these days a couple of decades from now when I am retired I sort of have this fantasy of walking up to the Planewave or AP booth and dropping 10-20k on a super high-end scope...  grin.gif    ahhh  dreams!

Al

• darkstar3d and charotarguy like this

#20 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:43 PM

...........Its difficult to pull the trigger on a new item when so often you can find the same thing at 30% or more cheaper slightly used.  ........

Al

You can always arrange to meet a used equipment seller at NEAF - and make a "parking lot" deal...... then go inside and buy more stuff......  wink.gif

While I've never done it at NEAF I have both bought and sold high-end equipment at star parties - with the meet-up arranged on one of the on-line forums. One advantage: the current owner can show the new owner how to use the items, the buyer can discuss any condition concerns, etc.

#21 Cliff C

Cliff C

Mariner 2

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:41 PM

At the VERY least, a new book from Springer Publishing entitled "Return to the Far Side of Patrick Moore!"

#22 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:01 PM

At the VERY least, a new book from Springer Publishing entitled "Return to the Far Side of Patrick Moore!"

Excellent book.

• Cliff C likes this

#23 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

Are the deals on both days, or do they typically wait till the end of the day on Sunday to offer things? Trying to gauge whether I want to go for one day or two.

#24 Holltim4103

Holltim4103

Ranger 4

• Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:47 PM

Deals are good both days but get better on Sunday. Only downfall to Sunday is a lot of the inventory and popular items sell out quick. For example, Daystar sold out of the Quarks on Saturday by noon.

#25 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:28 PM

This thread is really quiet for the time of year.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics