•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ngc 2423

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Huntington, NY, USA

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:08 AM

Well this winter in the northeast US has been even cloudier than what might be more typical of this season.  And then there is the cold.  Frozen fingers don't make for a pleasant sketching experience. So here is a sketch of ngc 2423 in Puppis just north of M47 that was done last night despite the frigid temperatures.  I used my old Celestron Omni 120 achromatic refractor due to the ease of setting up.  This cluster is quite attractive and has a very nice close double near its center.  The cluster contains a red giant star ( I could not detect much in the way of color ) that has at least one planet 10 times more massive than Jupiter. The cluster presents a nice range of magnitudes.

Regards,

Randolph

ngc 2423 001.jpg

• bumm, hokkaido53, David Gray and 4 others like this

#2 Susan H

Susan H

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Melbourne, FL

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:04 PM

Nice detail in your sketch Randolph. Thanks for sharing and clear skies. 

#3 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:12 PM

Randolph,

Very nice sketch of  NGC 2423 :) .

CS,KLU,

:thanx: ,

Tom

#4 hokkaido53

hokkaido53

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:31 PM

Good work again, Randolph!

And yes, the cold weather can impede your enthusiasm. We had single-digit temperatures through most of January.

- Roy (in northern New Mexico - 7,000 ft. altitude)

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:25 PM

Randolph,

Nice to see you got out from under the clouds to create this very sharp looking sketch on NGC 2423.

I must say I have no record of ever looking at this open cluster. It certainly is worth a look and a sketch.

I was out observing under partly cloudy skies last night but the seeing was terrible. Still nice trying.

Very good work.

Frank :)

#6 mariosi

mariosi

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cyprus

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:47 AM

Randolph, 

Beautifully done  :bow: 

Marios

#7 cloudbuster

cloudbuster

Ranger 4

• Loc: Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:07 PM

Randolph, good to see your work here on CN again!

You picked a nice open cluster with a very close double in the centre, well done.

Regards, Martijn

#8 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:35 PM

Thank you indeed Susan, Tom, Roy, Frank, Marios and Martijn!  It really has been incredibly dreary and wet at my location.  For a number of weeks it rained or snowed every 24 hours...oh I tell a lie if I don't admit that sometimes it was every 48 hours.  Ah and then I had a cold that just wouldn't say goodbye...I tried saying goodbye to it in several languages to no avail...:)

Regards and clear skies,

Randolph

• Susan H likes this

#9 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:02 PM

Sorry bout you being under the weather Randolph. I can attest to the lousy weather we ve had .  The grass is positively soggy from the rain and snow melg. At last though we hit some clear skys, and the temps were not particularly February like also!  Of course tge clouds are bavk but i hit a coupld decent nights. One of them was a lousy pickering 4! So soft I could only see three stars of the trapezium, the other just blurred away.

That double in the center really makes the piece.

Pete

#10 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:04 AM

Thanks Pete.  Without a doubt, this has been one of the dreariest winters I can remember.  I used to keep a weather diary and looking back over the years I see many entries for stretches of very cold but very clear weather that went on for several days at a time.  Completely absent this year.

Regards,

Randolph

#11 Warmvet

Warmvet

Apollo

• Loc: Hawaii

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

I need to remember the weather when I am out, because I find it amazing that you can brave the cold to observe. And to create a really fine sketch to boot! 

Cindy

#12 Sheliak_sp

Sheliak_sp

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:03 AM

Very beautiful cluster and nice sketch Randolph! Monoceros has some nice ones.

Migue

#13 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:03 AM

Thank you Cindy and Migue.  Cindy, I suspect your weather is just a wee bit milder ( :) ).  Last night presented beautifully transparent skies and a temperature of 14F ( -10C ) and the most I could do was take a quick look with just my eyes and then run for cover...

Regards,

Randolph

#14 Warmvet

Warmvet

Apollo

• Loc: Hawaii

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:56 PM

I cant even imagine! My passion for astronomy has blossomed since I lived here in Hawaii...everyone that braves that cold to observe, much less sketch..my hats off (maybe not, keep the ears warm!) to you.

#15 PeterDob

PeterDob

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Montecchio Emilia, Italy

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:14 AM

Well, the weather here in Italy's been quite mild for the last couple of weeks but the seeing's terrible. So I guess we've all got something to moan about. grin.gif  You picked a lovely cluster for you sketch and your rendering's top-notch. Beautifully done!!!bow.gifbow.gifbow.gif

Peter

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics