•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1600mm powersupply

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 megoblocks

megoblocks

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:46 PM

Looking at options when it comes to the 1600 for a powersupply to run the cooling unit (just got the camera). I do have a Schumacher XP2260 (https://www.amazon.c...uct/B004EIAADG/) that I've used for a lot of things here and there, and was wondering if I could run a spare celestron car battery adapter (one of these: https://www.amazon.c...ct/B0000665V1/) from the 12v dc outlet to the cooling unit on the camera? Info on the camera says they recommend "12V at 2.5A" but I have no idea what I've got would provide,amp wise. Is the amp draw determined by the device (the cooler) and the power source just has to keep up or does the power source always give juice at a certain rate?

Thanks!

#2 martinl

martinl

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:01 PM

The current draw is determined by the camera. As long as your power source is 12v and the polarity of your cable is correct you'll be fine. ALWAYS check the polarity of new electrical power supplies and cables before plugging them into expensive equipment. Buy/borrow/steal a digital multimeter, check the camera manual for the polarity it expects (normally, but not always, positive center pin) and verify that the PS/cable does indeed match. 

#3 barbarosa

barbarosa

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 37°50'N

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:14 PM

First the cable is 18AWG (American Wire Gage) and in general terms it has an ampacity (amperage capacity) of up to 10A. The cable is good.

Answer as in post above. The camera will draw  only what its circuit is designed to draw. It doesn't matter if the power source can supply more. A care battery can supply a few  hundred amperes for a brief time, if the camera was connected to the battery it would only draw what it "needs", in this case not more than ~2.5A.

It does matter if the power source cannot supply enough current. The voltage might drop, the supply overheat  or the load device might perform poorly.

The camera cooling circuit is not a simple resistive load but Ohm's Law will still give you a good approximation. The law describes the relationship between current (Amperes), voltage (Volts) and power (Watts).

Edited by barbarosa, 17 February 2017 - 01:16 PM.

#4 megoblocks

megoblocks

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:31 PM

Got it, thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics