•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepiece cases for long term storage and transportation?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jayners

Jayners

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

Hey guys :D I live in NELM 4.5ish skies so I do a lot of traveling to darker sites when I observe.

I've noticed that I have no problems setting up the scope and transporting the scope, but eyepieces always seem to be a huge chore.
(It takes almost as much time to pack up the eyepieces as it does the scope!)

So I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for eyepiece bags that are "safe" enough for long term storage, and for use out in the field.

I have 3 2" eyepieces and 3 1.25" eyepieces. Most are Naglers so I wanna make sure nothing gets damaged in anyway :o

Edited by Jayners, 17 February 2017 - 01:07 PM.

#2 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Republic, MO

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:12 PM

I prefer my SKB cases, which are the same as Pelican cases.  They both have good quality durable pluck-foam which makes eyepiece breakout and teardown easy as all you have to do is cap them and stick in their designated holes, then close the case.  Takes all of one to two minutes to breakout and the same for teardown and storage.

#3 junomike

junomike

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:28 PM

If your 2"ers aren't too portly, a simple "waist case" shroud suffice.

Mike

Edited by junomike, 17 February 2017 - 01:28 PM.

#4 havasman

havasman

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:55 PM

The injection molded plastic cases are the de facto standard. Pelican, SKB, Zero, Guardian, Explorer.... There are dozens of makers at least. I have settled on CrashCases.com as my best cost/performance option but there are many.

Mycasebuilder.com is the top option for custom foam for your case. They can configure whatever you choose and have a library of previously defined shapes to streamline the design process. You can select, for instance, the shape for a 5T6 Nagler standing or laying flat to fit your preference and they'll make the hole to fit.

A good case and foam completely solves your problem. Grab & go eyepieces.

• BFaucett and W. T. Riker like this

#5 Mike W.

Mike W.

Messenger

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:10 PM

Might find something on Craigslist, search "case" in the for sale section

#6 CP Kuiper

CP Kuiper

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Iowa

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:12 PM

I use a sufficient plastic tool box I bought at Menards for $11.

Then I bought some pick and pluck foam on Amazon.com for $10 more.

I put my headlamp, small flashlight (red), compass, and other small accessories in the segmented top tray that was included with the tool box.

The shroud for my 12 truss tube dob is folded and placed between the eyepieces and the top tray. 

I have a 2nd similar tool box (no foam) for my boxed in foam coma corrector, boxed bino-viewer, boxed refractor diagonals, and my filters (in their containers), and DSLR to telescope acessories (T-ring, T-adapter, extensions, etc) are in the top tray of that box.

Works great for me and I travel some distance pretty much every time I observe, usually 3 or 4 nights a week except during Winter.

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:05 AM

Hey guys :D I live in NELM 4.5ish skies so I do a lot of traveling to darker sites when I observe.

I've noticed that I have no problems setting up the scope and transporting the scope, but eyepieces always seem to be a huge chore.
(It takes almost as much time to pack up the eyepieces as it does the scope!)

So I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for eyepiece bags that are "safe" enough for long term storage, and for use out in the field.

I have 3 2" eyepieces and 3 1.25" eyepieces. Most are Naglers so I wanna make sure nothing gets damaged in anyway :o

I use an aluminum clad case with foam.  It's more industrial quality case than might be found at Home Depot or Harbor Freight.  I do not use pick and pluck foam as it seems to come apart with heavy eyepieces, I lay my eyepieces flat and use solid foam and cut out slots...  Laying them down means they take up more space but the eye lens is not exposed and it is easier to deal with them in the dark.  

For long term storage, I put the caps on.  When using them, I remove the caps, I close the lid if dew might be an issue.. At the end of the night, it takes a few minutes to put the caps back on and put the eyepieces in their places.

Jon

5717787-Eyepiece case 2011.jpg

#8 Mike W.

Mike W.

Messenger

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:17 AM

Jon's case works real well for TV's, I've got mostly ES's so I can stand them up

Attached Thumbnails

• thumbnail_IMG_20170218_054432.jpg

#9 BruceJ

BruceJ

Mariner 2

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:37 AM

This case works great...$20. Includes thick PnP foam, deep enough for 2" eyepieces, waterproof, and even has a pressure release for hot weather.

https://www.samsclub...lp:product:1:95

Edited by BruceJ, 18 February 2017 - 09:38 AM.

#10 Mike W.

Mike W.

Messenger

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:48 AM

This case works great...$20. Includes thick PnP foam, deep enough for 2" eyepieces, waterproof, and even has a pressure release for hot weather.

https://www.samsclub...lp:product:1:95

yes, great case, trick with pluck foam is to of course lay everything down where you want it, then use a dull butter knife to cut out along the pre-cut pieces.

Slowly work the knife thru the pre-cuts till you have the entire section free, then remove it.

When you just pluck it out it will tear some of the bindings of the pieces you don't want to remove and they will eventually come out too. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics