•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What's the Latest Info on Windows 10 Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 xrayvizhen

xrayvizhen

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Randolph, NJ

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:11 PM

I did a search on this subject and the most recent advise was from 5 months ago, (10/2016), which if I could summarize would be, "Don't do it". I have Win-7 Home Edition. Other than the annoying reminder every day to upgrade, which I have been ignoring, I'm wondering if it there is any advantage at all. I'm no longer getting any patches or anything else from MS, other than the daily reminder, so I assume MS support for Win-7 has terminated.

At some point very soon I will be connecting an ISX-224 type camera to my laptop. I haven't decided which one yet...the cheap one from AliExpress uses USB 2.0 and and the more expensive ones use 3.0 and I run a couple of legacy QB64 & QBasic manual setting circle alignment programs that I wrote myself in a DOS window as well.  I'll want to continue to use these programs and I suppose I'll be using Sharpcap with the camera. No imaging or other AP is anticipated. Anything DSC related, will be run with either my phone or android tablet but I do use Cartes du Ciel for pre-planning observing sessions on occasion.

In general, I'm a strong believer in "if the wheel ain't broke...." but because I'm no longer getting any security patches I'm a little concerned since my entire financial life is on this laptop and I need to keep this computer protected. So is there any benefit at all to upgrading given the current state of Win-10 as it relates to astronomy related programs?

#2 TBullet

TBullet

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:16 PM

I did a windows 7 machine to 10 upgrade after the free time had expired. It took 2 days to upgrade the system. Pain in the butt. I left my other machine running windows 7 and still have a machine running XP which is my MAME arcade machine. No need to upgrade that one since everything I want to do with that machine works perfect.

Don't sweat it. If you're happy with what you have, leave it.

#3 DuncanM

DuncanM

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

If you have a modern machine  that has internet access, then the Win10 upgrade is probably a good idea if only for it's security upgrades. MS has addressed most of the automatic update issues, so one can now turn them off.

By and large, it seems to be quite stable and I haven't had issues with running older software on my Win10 upgraded machines.

Edited by DuncanM, 17 February 2017 - 02:57 PM.

#4 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:38 PM

I converted my astrophotography system to Win 10, along with all the computers at my club's observatory. I haven't had any issues with them, except for one driver for an autoguider. I got an older driver to work, and the company eventually provided an upgrade. I just run Windows update before all photography sessions, and have never had it interrupt me.

We did have issues with Windows 7 machines which stopped updating. We have 2 old machines at the observatory which couldn't run Windows 10. Took me a month to get one to start upgrading, not sure how I fixed it, I did so many things to try to fix it, I'm not sure which one worked. I finally found a product which downloaded updates for off line upgrades. Once run on a Windows 7 machine, it updates the normal way again. This also helped a number of club members who had the same issue.

#5 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Viking 1

• Loc: Illinois, USA

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:46 PM

Stay with 7.

Peace...

#6 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:13 PM

I hate Win 10.   Have 2 dedicated astro computers.  Run everything through the Win7 desktop, the Win10 is ALWAYS buggy.  Ok... look if you have a lot of new hardware... USB3  and all that you will be ok probably... BUT  BUT  IF IF you have any legacy stuff... especially old drivers... serial converters, USB2 grabbers  etc...    DO NOT DO NOT upgrade.

Al

#7 JMW

JMW

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:09 PM

I bought a laptop that came with Windows 8. I later upgrade to Windows 10. It became a bit doggish over time. Windows 10 anniversary update came out and I upgraded. It has an OS reset feature which makes it very easy to completely reinstall the OS without messing up user directories. I did that and I have be very happy with the laptop since.

#8 photoracer18

photoracer18

Viking 1

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:18 PM

As an IT guy still working at my age I find Win 10 Pro is very stable. I loved Win 7 Pro and Win XP and hated both 8.0 and 8.1. I was lucky enough to finally do the update to 10 when it was still free. Just as an aside my government agency still uses Win 7 Enterprise.

#9 terranien

terranien

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:44 PM

Windows 10 is not one of the worst windows i used but if you can stay on 7 stay on it because of the interface of 10 is very different from 7 but all the drivers are ok for astrophotography.

As an IT guy still working at my age I find Win 10 Pro is very stable. I loved Win 7 Pro and Win XP and hated both 8.0 and 8.1. I was lucky enough to finally do the update to 10 when it was still free. Just as an aside my government agency still uses Win 7 Enterprise.

#10 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:26 PM

First of all, I've upraded the two computers in our house. The two computers in our observatory. Two Intel Stick computers and three laptops. I have had exactly one problem. That turned out to be the need to change a setting in the bios of one of the laptops. The astronomy software that I run is Ascom 6.2, MaximDL, SKYX, EQMod, SiTEch, Skytools 3, Cartes Du Ciel, Stellarium, CCD Inspector, PEMPRO, CCDSTACK, and last but not least CCD Autopilot. Everything works the same as it did under Win 7. Also, my remote access software- remote desktop and Teamviewer all works perfectly. 

The main advantage to doing the upgrade for me were not having to pay for it later on. That's 9 computers and could have been 900 dollars. 

Second, the boot times are reduced. Finally, I know that all of the astronomy vendors are or already have switched to Win 10. So, that's what they are going to be testing on and hence it's the operating system that I want to use. I do like the idea that my systems are up to date with security patches.

The updates (security mostly) are extremely annoying. There are a number of tricks to make them not affect you ranging from setting "hours of operation" through actually disabling (Win10 Pro only) the updating service. I'd research them before doing the upgrade. I don't find the gui to be very different, there are a couple of nice features - right click on the windows button brings up a menu of utilities for example- but there's no huge advantage in terms of speed, but little disadvantage that I can see.

What I have seen is that some really old equipment doesn't work because the vendors decided not to support it on Win10 and they needed to make a change. The upgrade has also exposed a problem with the Prolific Adapters that a lot of people use. Mine worked, oddly enough, but there are driver issues that you should probably research before switching.

I would encourage anyone with specific problems to post here. Several people has anecdotally reported problems with older laptops. I'd like to track those down but I strongly suspect that they are the result of the vendors not updating their systems. I recall specifically that Vaio computers (does SONY even still make these ?) gave people problems.

Rgrds-Ross

#11 fitter328

fitter328

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Banff, Alberta

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:21 PM

Hi Everyone,

i am in the process of updating an older laptop from 7 to 10 and was having trouble with the update freezing at 99%. After  some research I found you have to turn off Windows update, reboot machine then start the upgrade process over again. I will be using this laptop in my adventure of switching from visual to EAA. Updates on that to follow!

Also, even though the free update to Windows 10 is officially over, it is still possible to upgrade for no cost. Google Windows 10 for accessibility users. 

Cheers,

John

#12 Chucke

Chucke

Ranger 4

• Loc: AZ

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:01 AM

Just a quick comment about the Prolific Adapters.  I encountered the Win10 problem with one of my adapters.  I downloaded a Win10 driver from Prolific and all was good. 

As I understand it the real problem is with cheap adapters that use knock-offs of the Prolific chip.  Code was added to the drivers to make the knock-offs not useable with Win10.

#13 gbeaton

gbeaton

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:23 AM

I dual boot mac or windows on a macbook pro. I did the windows 10 upgrade and really liked it - I have it running ASCOM, Celestron drivers, PHD, Stellarium and Stellariumscope without a problem - no issues with any software I had. Its a bit weird because the network install is slightly different from the disk install. If you can download the ISO file from MS, and make a Win10 installation disk. I recommend you do that. (To get the ISO file you probably need a product code so may not be able to do that if you have a PC with pre-installed win7.)

#14 AstroOlly

AstroOlly

Vendor - AstroBitz

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Leicestershire UK

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:06 AM

I have found win 10 to run all my Astro programmes with no issues...but there are a couple of things to watch out for

1. The windows update feature can't be turned off in the latest win 10 and this can be a pain if you have internet connected while imaging, and it suddenly decides to update.... :(

2. The layout and start menus are different and I personally do not like them,  but if you instal a little free programme called "Classic shell" it will bring back the exact start menu that was on win 7 and it is fully customisable, which has been superb for me, I know in the latest win 10 they have brought back the start menu, but it's not like the win 7 one, but this is exactly the same.

on the plus side when win 10 was free I put a copy on a USB stick, and for some strange reason it still lets me load it on to any qualifying computer for free, as long as the computer has an original copy of windows 7 or 8 on it.

Olly

#15 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:55 AM

You can turn off the update service if you have Win10 Pro but not if you have Win10 home. At least that was true the last time I checked my computer just a few minutes ago. It might come back on after a reboot, though.  You certainly can disable it in Win10 Pro for the duration of an imaging session. 

#16 DuncanM

DuncanM

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:40 PM

You can turn off the update service if you have Win10 Pro but not if you have Win10 home. At least that was true the last time I checked my computer just a few minutes ago. It might come back on after a reboot, though.  You certainly can disable it in Win10 Pro for the duration of an imaging session. 

You have to tell Win10 that you have a "metered connection", IIRC and then it will disable updates until you request them.

Edited by DuncanM, 21 February 2017 - 12:41 PM.

#17 AstroOlly

AstroOlly

Vendor - AstroBitz

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:44 PM

You have to tell Win10 that you have a "metered connection", IIRC and then it will disable updates until you request them.

You can't to that anymore on the very latest win 10.2 I,

think it is.....but you could on the earlier version, as I did that myself....

well I can't find the setting anymore anyway....please prove me wrong.. :)

#18 xiando

xiando

Aurora

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

Make sure your hardware is up to snuff. I believe most problems come about from one of two fundamental issues, first, insufficient hardware (and any associated support files), and second, from second rate, third party software.

I have yet to experience any substantial issues with Windows upgrades performed over the past 32 years on dozens of different computers as a result of employing this basic paradigm.

#19 DuncanM

DuncanM

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:05 PM

You can't to that anymore on the very latest win 10.2 I,

think it is.....but you could on the earlier version, as I did that myself....

well I can't find the setting anymore anyway....please prove me wrong.. :)

so when you go to:

settings-> windows update

it doesn't state this:

Update settings

Available updates will be downloaded and installed automatically,

except over metered connections (where charges may apply).

?

#20 AstroOlly

AstroOlly

Vendor - AstroBitz

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:32 PM

No, not anymore, it used to before the latest big update..... :)

#21 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Republic, MO

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:45 PM

That's really taking the "we own the operating system and will do as we wish to your machine, and you have no rights" to a whole new extreme.  No other OS I know of, be it Mac, Linux, iOS or Android forces updates on you against your will.  Every other OS and platform allows you to choose when you want the updates installed and even allows you to install each one individually.  I really have no understanding why MS has taken the heavy-handed route they have; this is all part of why when I saw what was coming with Win 10 I moved back to Mac and haven't felt I was wrong yet.

#22 DuncanM

DuncanM

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:53 PM

I found this article online:

http://www.forbes.co...s/#2e5116b65c6a

and it basically states that users can delay updates for up to 35 days and still have the option to set the time of day for updates.

However, I gather this info is still in a state of flux as the Win 10.2 upgrade hasn't been released yet.

Edited by DuncanM, 21 February 2017 - 03:59 PM.

#23 DuncanM

DuncanM

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:59 PM

What version of Win10 are you running? Are you using beta versions?

All my machines are completely up to date and they all give the option to turn off updates over metered connections.

#24 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Viking 1

• Loc: Illinois, USA

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:51 PM

That's really taking the "we own the operating system and will do as we wish to your machine, and you have no rights" to a whole new extreme.  No other OS I know of, be it Mac, Linux, iOS or Android forces updates on you against your will.  Every other OS and platform allows you to choose when you want the updates installed and even allows you to install each one individually.  I really have no understanding why MS has taken the heavy-handed route they have; this is all part of why when I saw what was coming with Win 10 I moved back to Mac and haven't felt I was wrong yet.

I've programmed for the Microsoft platform since the early days of DOS and over the years always read the LA/EULA and if you read the present Microsoft makes it clear what they are/will be doing. There is no ambiguity at all now.

Peace...

PS - Good call to not jump on board with MS right now.   :waytogo:

#25 AstroOlly

AstroOlly

Vendor - AstroBitz

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:08 PM

What version of Win10 are you running? Are you using beta versions?

All my machines are completely up to date and they all give the option to turn off updates over metered connections.

Windows 10 home, with the latest updates installed as of yesterday....and the update section in the settings looks different to how it used to a few months ago.....not sure why ours is different. :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics