•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Esprit 100 tube ring screws

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Andyb90

Andyb90

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Staffordshire, UK

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:20 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know what the thread pitch/count is for the screws needed for the Esprit 100 tube rings?

Andy.

#2 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:03 PM

They are standard 1/4-20.

#3 Andyb90

Andyb90

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:13 PM

Thanks, I've ordered some of those with button and countersunk heads as the cap headed ones are protruding underneath my losmandy plate.

Andy

#4 Andyb90

Andyb90

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

I got the 1/4 20 screws and they fit perfectly on the bottom of the tube rings. Now I'm trying to bolt a dovetail bar to the top of the rings. The top of each ring has 5 threads. There is 1 in the center and a pair of threads either side. My 1/4 20 screws fit the outer pair of threads, but not the center thread. Here is a picture. After about 2 turns the 1/4 20 screws stick in the center threads. They screw all the way in to the outer threads.

PicsArt_1488495671904.jpg

Does anyone know the spec for the center thread on the top of the rings?

Andy.

• samuelpkco likes this

#5 scopenitout

scopenitout

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mt. Belzoni

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:35 PM

On my Esprit 100 that hole is tapped 1/4-20, just like all the other holes.

I would suggest there may be paint (or anodizing ?) residue in the hole you are having trouble with.

Find a 1/4-20 bottoming tap and chase the existing threads.

Edited by scopenitout, 02 March 2017 - 09:35 PM.

#6 samuelpkco

samuelpkco

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:26 AM

Andyb90, I use a shorter hex screw for the center hole. Mine is the 120 but the case should apply to the 100.

From what I recall, the hole did not run through the tube ring. However, I took the OTA off just in case the screw might went through and cause damage to the OTA.

Thread size is the same as other holes, like others have mentioned above.

This is what the dovetail handle looks like:

image.jpg

By the way, the Esprit draw-tube's internal surface causes some stray light. Once darken, contrast improves on mine. It's subtle but noticeable. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

The baffle system inside the OTA is otherwise doing a good job.

Wondering if other Esprit users such as yourself might share this experience?

Sorry to have gone off topic a little.....

Clear skies

Samuel

Edited by samuelpkco, 03 March 2017 - 08:06 AM.

#7 Andyb90

Andyb90

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:32 AM

On my Esprit 100 that hole is tapped 1/4-20, just like all the other holes.

I would suggest there may be paint (or anodizing ?) residue in the hole you are having trouble with.

Find a 1/4-20 bottoming tap and chase the existing threads.

Just to check I would need the tap and a suitable tap wrench and should then be able to chase the thread by hand. Is that correct?

Andy.

#8 Andyb90

Andyb90

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

Picked up a tap and wrench after work and sorted the threads. It was just some anodizing. Thanks for the tip scopenitout.

Andy.

#9 Andyb90

Andyb90

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:26 PM

Andyb90, I use a shorter hex screw for the center hole. Mine is the 120 but the case should apply to the 100.

From what I recall, the hole did not run through the tube ring. However, I took the OTA off just in case the screw might went through and cause damage to the OTA.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

By the way, the Esprit draw-tube's internal surface causes some stray light. Once darken, contrast improves on mine. It's subtle but noticeable. 

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Clear skies

Samuel

Thanks for the advice. I've used the scope for imaging so far and not noticed any reflections, but will check on my next set of images.

I've got a few more general questions about the Esprit 100 focuser which I've been meaning to post. Will do that this weekend.

Andy.

#10 scopenitout

scopenitout

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:14 PM

Picked up a tap and wrench after work and sorted the threads. It was just some anodizing. Thanks for the tip scopenitout.

Andy.

You are are most welcome.

This is a common problem with all kinds of gear. Paint (soft) usually gets pushed aside by the screw. But anodizing is much harder and if in sufficient quantity, needs a sharp tap to bust it out.

In my experience, Celestron seems to have this problem on a lot of their products. And Skywatcher is essentially same company.

Edited by scopenitout, 03 March 2017 - 03:18 PM.

#11 samuelpkco

samuelpkco

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Clear skies
Samuel

Thanks for the advice. I've used the scope for imaging so far and not noticed any reflections, but will check on my next set of images.

I've got a few more general questions about the Esprit 100 focuser which I've been meaning to post. Will do that this weekend.

Andy.
Andy, glad that you have the problem solved.
On the focuser, it wasn't any advice at all. Just a user feeling I wanted to share. The Esprit series has so much potential as I see it.
Like to hear user experience from others.

Clear skies
Samuel

#12 Andyb90

Andyb90

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:32 AM

A little off topic, but after sorting out the threads on the Esprit tube rings I decided it would be a good idea to order a spare set so contacted my normal UK vendor, but was surprised to find the rings aren't available separately.

Does anyone know of a US vendor that can get tube rings for the Esprits? Has anyone ordered a set? I'd be happy to import a spare set as it's such an important accessory.

Andy.

#13 Andyb90

Andyb90

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:04 PM

I've just detached the focuser knob to measure the shaft for a motorized focuser and noticed what I think are missing screws on the base of the focuser. I've highlighted on the below image with red arrows where I think there are missing screws. I think there should be 2 hex screws where the bigger red arrows are and a grub screw where the smaller red arrow is.

PicsArt_1489179373985.jpg

Would anyone be able to confirm if they have screws in these positions on the Esprit focuser base?

Andy

#14 LewisM

LewisM

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Somewhere in the cosmos...

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

I know of a user locally here in Australia;ia with similar QC issues of missing or fallen out focuser screws, so you are not alone.

If it were me, I would replace them.

#15 Andyb90

Andyb90

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:34 PM

I know of a user locally here in Australia;ia with similar QC issues of missing or fallen out focuser screws, so you are not alone.

If it were me, I would replace them.

I think I've got a couple of screws that might fit, but I'm wondering if the screws adjust the focuser in some way or if they are just used to keep the base in position.

Andy.

#16 scopenitout

scopenitout

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

I can confirm there are supposed to be screws in those holes.

They are holding the bottom part of the focuser to the upper part.

Yours are definitely "missing in action".

They may have been improperly torqued at assembly, and shook loose in transit or?

Look around in the bottom of the case, perhaps.

This is very disappointing. The UK Skywatcher distributor should have pre-delivered your Esprit.

That is what Skywatcher USA would have done before passing the scope on to the retailer.

Edited by scopenitout, 10 March 2017 - 06:32 PM.

#17 Andyb90

Andyb90

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:56 AM

I've replaced the 2 outer M4 screws and ordered some M2 grub screws to replace the inner one that's missing.

The existing outer M4 screws were loose so I tightened them all. But this made the drawtube travel 'bumpy' so I backed them off and it's okay now. The existing 3 inner M2 grub screws are also not that tight, but I've left them as they are and will contact the vendor for a bit more advice.

Andy.

#18 Tattooeddeputy

Tattooeddeputy

Sputnik

• ****-
  • Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:21 PM

Does anyone know what the ring size is on the Esprit 100ED?  Also just recieved mine as surprisef too find NO focus lock?

#19 agavephoto

agavephoto

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:56 AM

The focus lock lever on all the Esprit telescopes I've seen is threaded on and can come loose easily. SW should send a replacement if isn't in the case somewhere.

#20 agavephoto

agavephoto

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:14 PM

The Esprit 100ED rings are 130mm.

Does anyone know what the ring size is on the Esprit 100ED?  Also just recieved mine as surprisef too find NO focus lock?

#21 Lenbo

Lenbo

Viking 1

• Loc: Cochranville, Pa.

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:59 PM

If I remember correctly mine had all the screws when I was adding a Rigel auto focuser set up. Unfortunately can't get to the OB because of surgery for a broken femur. Have noticed it is especially painful when skies are clear. Really like my SW100 Esprit though and looking forward to getting out again... Take care folks!

#22 suvowner

suvowner

Viking 1

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:05 PM

They are standard 1/4-20.

what is the spacing between the rings at the center of the middle screw holes on the esprit 100. as I need to know what size adm accessories mds bar to mount on top of the 2 rings for my guidescope.

https://www.admacces...bar-mds-series/

thanks

#23 honyi

honyi

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:23 AM

what is the spacing between the rings at the center of the middle screw holes on the esprit 100. as I need to know what size adm accessories mds bar to mount on top of the 2 rings for my guidescope.

https://www.admacces...bar-mds-series/

thanks

Does anyone know the spacing of the screw holes on the top and bottom of the Esprit 100 tube rings? Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics