•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who loves basic/simple glass eyepieces?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:36 PM

Over the years I have been wooed by ultrawidefieldmegahyper eyepieces. Very intoxicating.
Then lately I've been enjoying a plossl or two, konig, erfle etc. nothing crazy like Zeiss ortho. They bring me back to my original observing thrills. Sometimes I think maybe a set of TV plossls would make me happy. My first TV eyepiece was an 11mm plossl bought for me by my late wife.
I fondly recall the "Woh!" I felt from the contrast.
Some amount of sentamdntality here but ....
  • Chris G, CeleNoptic, azure1961p and 11 others like this

#2 izar187

izar187

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:45 PM

Sure, but I think it'll be UO VT's for me.

Whats not to like?

Perhaps followed by some of their Konig II's, if I had the focal ratio's to match.

• paul m schofield and bremms like this

#3 starcanoe

starcanoe

Vanguard

• Loc: Gulf Coast, Panhandle of Florida

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:48 PM

I seem to have a hankering for RKEs and Konigs lately. I fondly remember my UO orthos from a ways back

#4 alnitak22

alnitak22

Gemini

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:54 PM

Over the years I have been wooed by ultrawidefieldmegahyper eyepieces. Very intoxicating.
Then lately I've been enjoying a plossl or two, konig, erfle etc. nothing crazy like Zeiss ortho. They bring me back to my original observing thrills. Sometimes I think maybe a set of TV plossls would make me happy. My first TV eyepiece was an 11mm plossl bought for me by my late wife.
I fondly recall the "Woh!" I felt from the contrast.
Some amount of sentamdntality here but ....

Why not enjoy both simple and complex eyepieces? I have a set of TV Plossls...and also a set of Celestron Ultimas. I also have a selection of Naglers and Panoptics. I use whichever set I feel inclined to that evening and always have fun. It's a hobby...keep it fun. 

• turtle86, payner, RAKing and 2 others like this

#5 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:03 PM

Can't afford or keep multiple sets of eyepieces.
  • paul m schofield likes this

#6 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:03 PM

I always coveted the Ultrascopics back in the day
  • PF9000 likes this

#7 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Viking 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:28 PM

This is exactly what I went through. I wound up ditching my various eyepieces - nothing ultra wide mind you, but certainly some 70° glass - and replacing them with some Tele Vue Plössls (8/11/15&20). I find the plain old 50° field of view more comfortable/relaxing than the wider views. And I find the tight eye relief of the 8 and 11 more comfortable as well (I have a 6mm Fujiyama Ortho that I also really enjoy using).

Maybe it does have something to do with linking me to my youth and my first telescopes. I also like the simplicity and compactness of them. I have an Orion Edge On Planetary 5mm which is a great eyepiece with 20mm of eye relief - but I enjoy the Ortho a lot more and it isn't anywhere near as gangly as the Orion. Same goes for my BST 9mm - it has much better eye relief and a wider FOV than my 8 or 11 Tele Vue Plössls but I prefer the view through the TV's.

I have a GSO Super View 70° which is a 2" eyepiece, but I again prefer the view through my 32mm Plössl. All 6 of my eyepieces can easily fit into the pockets of my winter coat. I really think it's just the simplicity of it all that I enjoy.

Oh - that and the fantastic sharp views! :)

• paul m schofield likes this

#8 paul m schofield

paul m schofield

Mariner 2

• Loc: Hollywood, Florida, USA, with grandson Ethan

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:29 PM

I love using my old set of Japanese Omcon volcano-top orthos with my 80mm f/11.4 Celestron. Pin point stars, nice black background, and sharp focus to the edge of the field, even if it's only 45 degrees AFOV. These smoothies along with my 16mm Ko2 and 32mm Erfle are so comfortable and easy to use. 

• bbqediguana likes this

#9 jallbery

jallbery

Vanguard

• Loc: Southeast Michigan

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:29 PM

I still keep a couple of Halloween plossls in my eyepiece collection, as well as my 35mm Ultima.  And for those rare moments of exceptional seeing I have a couple of high power volcano top orthos.

#10 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:31 PM

I've come to love orthos in my refractors.  Especially the Orthostars I came across...The 11mm  & 7.4mm TV smoothie plossls see some time too.  Some nights though, just for a more relaxed view of the moon and planets, the Vixen LVs.

#11 alnitak22

alnitak22

Gemini

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:48 PM

I always coveted the Ultrascopics back in the day

The Ultima/Ultrascopics give basically identical views to the TV Plossls to my eye in my TV Ranger, 6"f/8 Newt and TV85. 

• MortonH and bremms like this

#12 alnitak22

alnitak22

Gemini

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:06 PM

Can't afford or keep multiple sets of eyepieces.

I acquired mine over a 25 year period. Wasn't really difficult. See no need to sell anything as I enjoy what I have and have sold a bunch along the way.

• izar187 likes this

#13 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:23 PM

I really like long FL simple glass eyepieces because of the long eye relief in a compact package.  Last night my 32mm Meade 4000 smoothie plossl got a lot of focuser time.  I also really like the 35mm Ultrascopic, and the 40mm and 28mm 5 element Pentax XL's.  

#14 rguasto

rguasto

Apollo

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:11 PM

I keep a mix of old and new TV Plossl's. They make a great set. Some nights I only use these especially in my long focal length reflector which is 1.25" only. 

-Rob 

Attached Thumbnails

• P9270301-1600x900.JPG
  • gallery_159290_4401_1034144.jpg

Edited by rguasto, 19 February 2017 - 10:19 PM.

• Edrow10, alnitak22 and Paul Morow like this

#15 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Soyuz

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:23 PM

My othos and plossls have an important place in my eyepiece case. I enjoy using them a lot, primarily in my Bino viewer for solar system objects. But I do pull them out for DSO some times and like the different perspective they provide. If the sky conditions co-operate, a good Abbe ortho shows me a little more than what a good wide field reveals.

I like having access to a wide field set, and a separate minimum glass set, because I consider them different tools that do different jobs. But if I had to settle on one, I think today's wide field eyepieces are so good I would pick those as my all round set.

IMG_8681.JPG

• Greg77, Paul Morow, jetstream and 2 others like this

#16 jetstream

jetstream

Viking 1

• Loc: Sunset Country NW Ontario

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:27 PM

Last night the Jellyfish neb looked pretty good through the 25mm TV plossl in the 15" but the 30 ES 82 gave a vg look too.Need both types- simple and complex, for me anyway.

• havasman likes this

#17 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:47 PM

I don't know if I love them, but I do like them a lot, and have held onto them.  To me they are more for personal use because of the eye relief / placement, I use my wider field longer eye relief ep's when sharing the view.

#18 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:23 AM

Having built a kit of au courant mega wide ep's I recently added a couple of orthos, my first. They're really nice. I sure don't plan to unload the Ethos and go all crazy but I think if I'm going to be able to see that lensed quasar in UMa next session, the ultimate tool I'll pull out before admitting defeat will be a KK 9mm, probably Barlowed 2x if required and conditions permit.

I don't really love any of 'em but I sure love what they show. I have got a really serious crush on my mirror though.

• jetstream likes this

#19 lylver

lylver

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: near Grenoble

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:16 AM

-> The small one comes from a Meade binocular (8,5mm koenig 4 lens, wide field that looks like Skywatcher UW 66° but much transparent and better polished)OPMI-0.jpg

Was about to trash it because of the initial short eye relief (~5mm) : looking through "yoyo" my scope when i used it without the barlow !

Would never had bet a cent on planetary use of it.

But it is surprisingly sharp (center, few scatter) with a barlow on the moon and double stars (ER increases, better field)

#20 Chris G

Chris G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Central Miichigan

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:28 AM

I wish I'd kept my 12, 16 and 24mm UO Konigs.

#21 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:36 AM

The 24mm  UO Konig was my favorite Konig.

I also had a full set of the UO VT orthos .... very nice.

Edited by NHRob, 20 February 2017 - 06:38 AM.

• CounterWeight likes this

#22 bumm

bumm

Vanguard

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:42 AM

I'm no authority AT ALL on eyepieces, but as with most long focal length scopes, my old C8 is very forgiving of eyepieces.  I'm still using a fist full of old volcano top Kellners.  I've tried a couple of more modern plossls a couple of times...  I kept one since it gave me a wider FOV, but my most used eyepiece, my 25mm, showed no improvement.  I gave my new plossl to my brother to use in outreach.  Some of this may be due to my defective old eyes just not detecting the improvement, but right now, my turret has one low power plossl and three Kellners.

Marty

Edited by bumm, 20 February 2017 - 09:10 AM.

• Jim Curry, andycknight and lylver like this

#23 MartinPond

MartinPond

Aurora

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:00 AM

At 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm, a 1,2-Konig is my favorite.

Even going to the 9mm Expanse doesn't yield the same center-field contrast and smoothness.

Add 1-1/2 times the eye relief of the Plossl. 

Plossls and Diplossls after that, with 1.5x---3x Barlow.

There is a startling clarity to minimal EPs. 

I think that's why the Plossl always hangs in there

even when collections get fancy.

Maybe the narrower field is more relaxing to view as welll...

#24 jetstream

jetstream

Viking 1

• Loc: Sunset Country NW Ontario

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:48 AM

Having built a kit of au courant mega wide ep's I recently added a couple of orthos, my first. They're really nice. I sure don't plan to unload the Ethos and go all crazy but I think if I'm going to be able to see that lensed quasar in UMa next session, the ultimate tool I'll pull out before admitting defeat will be a KK 9mm, probably Barlowed 2x if required and conditions permit.

I don't really love any of 'em but I sure love what they show. I have got a really serious crush on my mirror though.

What lensed quasar? I would like to give it a try but I'm not sure a 15" would do it. Seeing one of these is actually a goal of mine, hopefully I don't have to wait for the dream 24" dob.

#25 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:41 PM

Did a quick web search, is this the lensed quasar ?

• jetstream and havasman like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics