•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who loves basic/simple glass eyepieces?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#26 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

QO957+561, aka PGC2518326

10h01m21s  +55º53'51"

Just NNE of NGC3079, it completes an arc of 4 faint stars that may help define its location.

Edited by havasman, 20 February 2017 - 02:01 PM.

• jetstream likes this

#27 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:05 PM

I was surprised, reading this blog and many other sources, how many people do all their viewing with wide angle EPs.  When I would see people say "I was viewing Jupiter with my Ethos" I was amazed!  I mean, sure, it looks great... but a $100 ortho would be better.  I don't even consider my wide fields when viewing the planets, I only use Orthos and Plossls.

• bbqediguana likes this

#28 jetstream

jetstream

Viking 1

• Loc: Sunset Country NW Ontario

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:42 PM

Did a quick web search, is this the lensed quasar ?

QO957+561, aka PGC2518326

10h01m21s  +55º53'51"

Just NNE of NGC3079, it completes an arc of 4 faint stars that may help define its location.

Thanks, the only one I heard of before was Einsteins Cross which is beyond my 15" I believe. I will give this one a try, fingers crossed.

#29 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

I mean, sure, it looks great... but a $100 ortho would be better.  

I have not always found that to be the case.

• Doug Culbertson and Steve Cox like this

#30 alnitak22

alnitak22

Gemini

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:56 PM

I mean, sure, it looks great... but a $100 ortho would be better.  

I have not always found that to be the case.

Of course not. Simplistic and personal opinion.

#31 cosmo823

cosmo823

Vostok 1

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:30 PM

As I've just gotten back into the hobby after an 8 year hiatus, I'm enjoying the view through whatever I'm looking through. I picked up a used TV76 and TelePod this time around along with a few used wide fields, a couple of cheap plossls and a Hyperion zoom. I do love the wide field views. Maybe because I can sit back a bit after looking and enjoy a sip of good anejo tequila, a couple of puffs off a cigar, then return to the eyepiece and it's still there, or close by. I also enjoy the plossls I have. Most of all I'm just digging being back, under the stars, relaxing and enjoying all that wonderful stuff up there at the moment. 

The fact that we have this amazing used market for stuff makes it even better. I can "rent" eyepieces and see what they are like. Amazing. Of course, I can already feel the first nibble of aperture fever biting, (I used to have 6" refractor and 8" sct) but I am pretty **** happy just getting out and enjoying the sky again.

• CounterWeight, alnitak22, Paul Morow and 2 others like this

#32 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:44 PM

I was surprised, reading this blog and many other sources, how many people do all their viewing with wide angle EPs.  When I would see people say "I was viewing Jupiter with my Ethos" I was amazed!  I mean, sure, it looks great... but a $100 ortho would be better.  I don't even consider my wide fields when viewing the planets, I only use Orthos and Plossls.

I don't know.  Granted the orthos are a slight bit sharper, but the view in my Ethos is not very far at all off the view in my orthos.  I could be very happy replacing my orthos with a 6mm Ethos and a Powermate for it and the 8mm for planets; not the Moon though, I don't seem to care for widefields on the Moon.

#33 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:06 PM

I don't know.  Granted the orthos are a slight bit sharper, but the view in my Ethos is not very far at all off the view in my orthos.  I could be very happy replacing my orthos with a 6mm Ethos and a Powermate for it and the 8mm for planets; not the Moon though, I don't seem to care for widefields on the Moon.

Funny, I'm the other way around, I like using wide angle EPs on the Moon.  Unless it's bad seeing or my scope hasn't cooled, then I like the Orthos/Plossls because I can use lower power but the narrow FOV makes it feel more magnified.

#34 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Soyuz

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:22 PM

The best way I have found to observe the moon is with a Bino viewer, coupled with some good orthos. The Bino works better on the moon than all other objects IMO, because it gives me that Apollo astronaut feeling of floating just off the lunar surface. I don't get that sensation by using one eye.

• M44 likes this

#35 Javier1978

Javier1978

Apollo

• Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:27 PM

I found the best of the two worlds on the DeLite eyepieces. They 18.2mm is amazing, so lightweight and small, amazing contrast, great eye relief, super stable exit pupil, very sharp to the edge and, for me, enough AFOV with much more space than regular plössls.

With the eyecup removed, it remembers a lot to the plössl shape, but I know for sure I won´t buy another short FL plössl again.

Edited by Javier1978, 20 February 2017 - 08:42 PM.

#36 PF9000

PF9000

Explorer 1

• Loc: NJ

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:56 AM

I always coveted the Ultrascopics back in the day

I felt the same way.  I've always heard the Ultrascopic/Utimas were really good performers, and I've always considered the Ultrascopics to be one of the best looking eyepiece sets.  After decades of wanting them, I just got my first one a few weeks ago.  It's the 20mm and it has not dissapointed.  Now I really have the urge to start collecting the whole set.  I have a couple of Meade 4000 smoothies and Celestron silvertops, and I've also been getting the urge to start filling out those sets.  This could get expensive.  If I have to pick one set to collect, I think I might have to go with the Ultrascopics.

• MortonH and russell23 like this

#37 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:59 AM

The Ultrascopics set would be a great looking set to have.  They also perform well.  I've owned a few.

• russell23 likes this

#38 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:44 AM

The Ultrascopics set would be a great looking set to have.  They also perform well.  I've owned a few.

Must buy Tak LE... Must buy Tak LE... Must buy...

• Olee likes this

#39 penguinx64

penguinx64

Soyuz

• Loc: Manama, Bahrain

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:03 AM

I like simple Ortho and Plossl eyepieces because they are smaller and lighter weight than most widefield eyepieces.  I tried a couple of Vixen LVW eyepieces, but they're huge and weigh over 3/4 lbs.  They were just to heavy for the focuser on my small scope.  Also, many wide field eyepieces just don't work well at f/4, but no problem with Orthos or Plossls.

#40 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Viking 1

• Loc: Modesto, CA

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:41 AM

Gosh, I've owned entire sets of Ultimas, Ultrascopics and Konigs, TV Plossls, Panoptics and Naglers; good memories.  But now I mainly use Ethos for deep sky and orthos for planetary and especially for close doubles.  I think Allen W. hit the nail on the head when he spoke of different tools for the job at hand.  Twice in this thread, I've seen it posted that the Ethos is not far off from the best of orthos...I tend to agree.  But when I split close doubles of less than one arc second separation and especially if there is a contrast difference, I don't bother with wide fields, because they will not control the light as well as my orthos.  I think the orthoscopic design is also one of the most comfortable/relaxing to use.  They do not suffer blackout with head movement and the image seems always easy to acquire and maintain.  XW's, Delos & Delites are great, but orthos do present differently through my scope, under my skies.  I have used Ethos for planetary including Luna, and they are quite good.  Because of seeing conditions, I seldom see something through my orthos that is not just as stunning through the Ethos... except on some planetary details that usually have more to do with contrast and on close doubles where stray light through the Ethos is not as well controlled.  Many times, I have been able to split a double only because I got out an ortho.  

• paul m schofield, Paul Morow, Allan Wade and 1 other like this

#41 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:53 AM

The other night I had fun with my UO 20mm Erfle.    Edge issues with my f/7 scope but, very clear and crisp.

With my 2x barlow it became an awesome 10mm ep, sharp to the edge.

• paul m schofield likes this

#42 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:45 AM

I prefer my set of Ethos now, but I still have my old set of Televue Plossls and I'll haul them outside when I want to think about the "Good Old Days".  My orthos are long gone.

Of course - I now use those eyepieces with decent triplet refractors. Nostalgia only goes so far! :lol:

Cheers,

Ron

• Paul Morow and Olee like this

#43 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:12 AM

"where stray light through the Ethos is not as well controlled"

This was my point, with ~20 air to glass surfaces in an Ethos it's not possible to handle stray light as well, or be as precise, as an Ortho or Plossl with only 8.  However, I would phrase what you said differently.  The Ethos does an amazing job of handling stray light, but it can never compare to a quality ortho since it has more than twice the elements in play.

Edited by bobito, 22 February 2017 - 11:15 AM.

• Steve Cox likes this

#44 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:00 PM

I have been and still am a real fan of Clave Paris ep's. I have bought and sold them many times over - just bought a set of 4 - "they pull me back in!" I also just bought a beautiful Goto 60mm f/20 so I am looking forward to that combo. Best view of m13 I have ever had was through my now gone obsession 20" f/5 and a 6mm clave - framed perfectly and such beautiful detail! 

Edited by stevenwav, 22 February 2017 - 12:01 PM.

#45 Pollux556

Pollux556

Apollo

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:25 PM

I love to look through this Kellner series in my 60mm long focus refractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• Kellner serie.jpg

Edited by Pollux556, 22 February 2017 - 12:27 PM.

• Jaimo!, bumm, PF9000 and 3 others like this

#46 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

This was my point, with ~20 air to glass surfaces in an Ethos it's not possible to handle stray light as well, or be as precise, as an Ortho or Plossl with only 8.  However, I would phrase what you said differently.  The Ethos does an amazing job of handling stray light, but it can never compare to a quality ortho since it has more than twice the elements in play.

They don't give up much though to the orthos.  The only difference between my Ethos and orthos is a bit more sharpness and snap to focus in the orthos.  Other than that, they've mostly the same.

#47 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:31 PM

They don't give up much though to the orthos.  The only difference between my Ethos and orthos is a bit more sharpness and snap to focus in the orthos.  Other than that, they've mostly the same.

Well, that and a pound or so of weight......

#48 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:35 PM

There is something special about the simple-glass eyepieces that is just not replicated in the wide fields.  Just something about the view they produce that is simply more "calming".  Downside of course is diminishing eye relief as the focal lengths get short.  However, the Tak LEs are the exception as their eye relief does not have that tightness to it in the shorter focal lengths.  I want to pick up the 10mm soon, but what I use are: 25 Sterling Plossl, 18 LE, 12.5 LE, 7.5 LE, and 5 LE.  Perform well, comfortable, small, light, wonderful build.

#49 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:10 PM

There is something special about the simple-glass eyepieces that is just not replicated in the wide fields.  Just something about the view they produce that is simply more "calming".  Downside of course is diminishing eye relief as the focal lengths get short.  However, the Tak LEs are the exception as their eye relief does not have that tightness to it in the shorter focal lengths.  I want to pick up the 10mm soon, but what I use are: 25 Sterling Plossl, 18 LE, 12.5 LE, 7.5 LE, and 5 LE.  Perform well, comfortable, small, light, wonderful build.

I agree, there is something about low glass eyepieces that I like. They have very good sharpness and contrast, and they tend to be miserable at short focal lengths. I went with good orthos, instead of the LE, and am very happy with them, except for one thing.

Thus far, there isn't anything I can see with the orthos that I can't see with the TMB Planetary clones. Of course, they're low glass as well, or as low as the LEs. They also have blackened lens edges, and offer eye relief in the shorter focal lengths that the LEs and orthos can only dream of.

So I use three element Barlows on the orthos I have to get the real short focal lengths that my refractors need. Seven elements in four groups, as opposed to five elements in three groups for the Planetary clones. Still, I want to check out Saturn's moons again. A Barlowed 10mm ortho did beat a 5mm Hyperion by showing an extra moon. Perhaps these higher end orthos will do a similar job, though I doubt it. It was a bundled, 5mm, Planetary clone that retired my 5mm Hyperion.

#50 MortonH

MortonH

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:06 PM

I always coveted the Ultrascopics back in the day

I felt the same way.  I've always heard the Ultrascopic/Utimas were really good performers, and I've always considered the Ultrascopics to be one of the best looking eyepiece sets.  After decades of wanting them, I just got my first one a few weeks ago.  It's the 20mm and it has not dissapointed.  Now I really have the urge to start collecting the whole set.  I have a couple of Meade 4000 smoothies and Celestron silvertops, and I've also been getting the urge to start filling out those sets.  This could get expensive.  If I have to pick one set to collect, I think I might have to go with the Ultrascopics.

Be careful. Last year I got a notion to buy 'a few' old eyepieces and then this happened...

http://www.cloudynig...tion-what-next/

Before long I'd spent hundreds of dollars!  After a few months I settled down and ended up selling many of them but kept a mixed collection of the 5-element Ultrascopics, Ultimas, Antares and Parks Gold Series (same eyepieces in different clothes) from 35mm down to 12.5mm. Today I received a 10mm Parks that will complete the set since eye relief is rather short below 10mm.

I particularly enjoyed using these in a Tak FS-102 (another old school piece of equipment). In fact one of the best views I've ever had of the Eta Carina nebula was with the FS-102, 35mm Ultrascopic and OIII filter.

Edited by MortonH, 22 February 2017 - 09:11 PM.

• alnitak22, PF9000 and Allan Wade like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics