•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What does a ZWO ADC do to focal length?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas Ashcraft

Thomas Ashcraft

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:12 AM

What does a ZWO ADC do to focal length? Does it act like a barlow? Thanks in advance. Tom

#2 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:18 AM

It acts like an extender. The images look a little bigger

#3 martinl

martinl

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:39 PM

In itself the ADC shouldn't change the focal length. However, it does use ~30mm backfocus so with a moving mirror telescope like an SCT it would extend the total focal length slightly (maybe 100mm?). Also, if you put a Barlow before the ADC, as recommended, the extra distance between the Barlow and the sensor would result in greater magnification. About an extra 0.6x with a shorty Barlow like the Celestron Ultima or Orion Shorty Plus. 

#4 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:39 PM

Precisely what martini said - 100% correct.

#5 jragsdale

jragsdale

Vanguard

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:18 PM

Would this effect a Powermate just the same?

#6 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:10 PM

Would this effect a Powermate just the same?

Powermates work a little differently in that the image size does not necessarily increase with added distance between the rear surface and the sensor:

see http://www.televue.c...werIncrease.jpg for the specific Powermate you have in mind.

For those concerned about any perceived need to put the Barlow *before* the ADC - I'm not sure this isn't a fallacy. You can even just screw a "nosepiece Barlow" (e.g. the business end of a Meade #140) into the end of the camera nosepiece, affording a reasonably low magnification (e.g 1.6x).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics