•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starsense camera and Starsense HC cables (interchangeable?)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:43 AM

I have an Evolution with StarSense HC (original serial version).

I believe that the StarSense camera cable is an RJ12 - RJ12?

Black 6 wire flat coiled telephone cable.
Connectors are 6p6c (6 position 6 contacts) modular.
Cable wiring is straight through. Pin 1 to pin 1.

Can anybody confirm this please?

The supplied StarSense camera cable is far too long. I have been looking in the UK for a short coiled replacement. Even Maplins don't sell one. Then I had this idea....

ADDED;

Ignore the rest of this post....Stupid me...see post #2

Correspondingly, when the Evolution is mounted on a wedge, the StarSense HC cable is far too short (especially if the HC cradle is affixed to a tripod leg). So are these cables interchangeable? Are the coiled StarSense HC and NexStar + HC cables also interchangeable (n.b. both HC's are original serial versions)?

My thought here is to use the long StarSense camera cable with the HC so that I can control its direction buttons from a distance (e.g. when watching on laptop screen during a photography session). Then, I might use the coiled HC cable to connect the StarSense camera to the AUX port on the mount (e.g. rather than have umpteen metres of trailing coiled mess). Another thought is to use the surplus NexStar HC + cable instead of the StarSense camera cable for those that prefer the shorter cable version for both camera and HC.

This seems such an easy solution, but I don't want to fry anything. Has anybody tried this? The reason that I hesitate is that whilst they look similar I gather that these come in a variety of types ('wired straight through' and 'crossover') and some with this RJ-12 connector are four pin and others six.  It would be logical if they were all interchangeable, but I do want to make sure before trying this and screwing up some expensive electronics.

Edited by Noah4x4, 21 February 2017 - 05:00 AM.

#2 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:59 AM

Stupid me!

Just realised that the one end of the short coiled cable is permanently affixed to the HC. It is hence NOT interchangeable. I don't know how I got it into my head that it had a plug at both ends (sorry). But wouldn't it be a good idea if it did and hence if these were interchangeable!?

So does anybody in the UK know where to buy a short coiled replacement for the StarSense cable (as depicted in the current Evolution advertising)?

Edited by Noah4x4, 21 February 2017 - 05:17 AM.

#3 Panotaker

Panotaker

Viking 1

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:29 AM

I just folded my long cable to a shorter length and wrapped it with electrical tape. Now it is nice and short and it doesn't get in the way.

#4 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:32 AM

Yeh, done that. But give the electrical tape half an hour in 30 degree heat and it goes all sticky gooey. If you see the Celestron advertising for yhe Edge HD Evolution it's a nice coiled cable. So why don't Celestron supply that?
  • carver2011 likes this

#5 Panotaker

Panotaker

Viking 1

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:26 PM

I guess you can try a wire tie if the tape doesn't work. Some one posted a coil cord you could buy for around 4 bucks, but I don't have the link. 

#6 Capt Bob Pastor

Capt Bob Pastor

Explorer 1

• Loc: Deerfield Beach, FL

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:10 AM

I lost my StarSense camera cable. Does anyone know if it is the same cable as an ST-4 connection?

#7 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:29 AM

I lost my StarSense camera cable. Does anyone know if it is the same cable as an ST-4 connection?

No. It should be the same pinout as the hand control cable.

#8 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:31 PM

I spoke to my usual retailer (The Widescreen Centre) and they got me a shorter replacement coiled cable for £14. See image; now all lovely and cable tidy into AUX1. Note that I now plug the HC into AUX2 so neither foul on my wedge.

20170308_163452.jpg

#9 sirjab

sirjab

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Washignton

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:37 PM

Stupid me!

Just realised that the one end of the short coiled cable is permanently affixed to the HC. It is hence NOT interchangeable. I don't know how I got it into my head that it had a plug at both ends (sorry). But wouldn't it be a good idea if it did and hence if these were interchangeable!?

So does anybody in the UK know where to buy a short coiled replacement for the StarSense cable (as depicted in the current Evolution advertising)?

the cable for the star sense hand unit is actually not hardwired in the unit is on a 6 pin connector plug. I am looking for a replacement cable for the hand control

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics