•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Yuri debuts 10 inch Tec at WSP...

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#51 Richard Whalen

Richard Whalen

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Florida

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:32 PM

Wish I had been there to check it out, I have viewed through the TEC 8" apo at CAV. Could not tell much due to the fog rolling in. Looked to be color free in focus on Sirius.

#52 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

That would have been a treat to spend some time looking through. I own a used TEC 140 and haven't had a chance to look through a larger TEC. I have seen a TEC 160 a few times at the GSSP,  but it was alway setup for imaging so no chance to look through it. I am by no means poor but it takes a lot of savings and setting priorities to put together the cash for the TEC180. Can't imaging the market or total number of 10 inch scopes built will be more than a dozen or so. The number of very wealthy people who are extremely serious astronomers has to be tiny. That kind of wealth could afford a permanent dark sky observatory or an telescope assistant to handle the setup and break down.

I think there is considerable merit to this.  I believe it takes a special type of hobbyist to make the necessary commitments to such an instrument.  And a very special type of OEM too IMO.

Yuri has been very candid about the struggles it has taken to bring this scope to market.  However, he's also, understandably, very proud of it too as it seems he has pulled it off, which is no small feat for a very small company (!).  

BRAVO!

Yuri has said in the old Yahoo group that this may well be the only run of 10 inchers unless there is a very compelling case to do another.  However he has also left open the door for a run of 8" scopes, once he gotten far enough along on the 10".  That would be really cool.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff B, 02 March 2017 - 12:19 PM.

• CounterWeight likes this

#53 AustinAstronomer

AustinAstronomer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:15 PM

what is the ratioanale for making the main tube in three pieces ? so it can fit as a carry on in a plane trip ?  wink.gif

My AP 175EDF tube is made in sections, I believe for ease of construction.  They are permanently attached together though and appears as one solid tube.

aesthetically speaking I think I prefer the single tube construction. but it will make breakdown and transport to a dark site much easier.

I heard that the optician at TEC departed- is that true ?

Who told you that the optician departed?  Is there only one optician?

Thank you.

#54 daveCollins

daveCollins

Viking 1

• Loc: Washington DC

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:54 PM

A guy advertised that he had been an optician for TEC and that he was going to start his own business building and selling scopes. I don't recall exactly how I came about the link, but he did have a website and I looked up his address. I found the shop in a run down area of town. It was in Colorado. My impression was that he was promising a lot for someone new to owning such a business. I haven't heard anything about him since that first advertisement.

#55 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:18 AM

A guy advertised that he had been an optician for TEC and that he was going to start his own business building and selling scopes. I don't recall exactly how I came about the link, but he did have a website and I looked up his address. I found the shop in a run down area of town. It was in Colorado. My impression was that he was promising a lot for someone new to owning such a business. I haven't heard anything about him since that first advertisement.

I think this is what you are referring to. And he has come up with something cool :)

#56 daveCollins

daveCollins

Viking 1

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:25 AM

I think this is what you are referring to. And he has come up with something cool smile.gif

Thanks Nick, you are correct. The website is Agema Optics

#57 Danny206

Danny206

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

what is the ratioanale for making the main tube in three pieces ? so it can fit as a carry on in a plane trip ?  wink.gif

My AP 175EDF tube is made in sections, I believe for ease of construction.  They are permanently attached together though and appears as one solid tube.

aesthetically speaking I think I prefer the single tube construction. but it will make breakdown and transport to a dark site much easier.

I heard that the optician at TEC departed- is that true ?

Thank you.

I heard this from a fellow amateur. don't know if there was more than one optician.

the strehl ratios of the agema optics doublets appear to be pretty impressive though 

http://www.agemaoptics.com/blog/

#58 daveCollins

daveCollins

Viking 1

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

I have done a quick search and I cannot find a single review of the AGEMA 130. Without at least a hands-on report of performance, it seems that it would be risky to take the plunge.

#59 salico

salico

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

it is to new to find a review

#60 daveCollins

daveCollins

Viking 1

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

I expressed this same concern with the owners last year and they told me that samples would be provided for review. To whom and when wasn't revealed. Until that happens, such expensive equipment would be a blind gamble.

#61 Richard Whalen

Richard Whalen

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Florida

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:50 PM

I expressed this same concern with the owners last year and they told me that samples would be provided for review. To whom and when wasn't revealed. Until that happens, such expensive equipment would be a blind gamble.

I disagree, as I know Ed and his long history at TEC. I for one would not hesitate to order a scope from his new company if he made one that interested me. Seems like the small fast apo market is getting crowded these days......more choices than ever before.

#62 daveCollins

daveCollins

Viking 1

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

My point is that the scopes that are being advertised are fairly expensive. The 130 is $5,900 which is comparable to the cost of an APO triplet high end scope. The website shows a Strehl Ratio Comparison curve which appears to show this 130 as being superior to Zeiss, Takahashi, and TEC in regions of the curve, and roughly equivalent at the highest Strehl values.

I assume that this curve is somewhat the justification of the pricing of the scope. The Agema is a doublet while TEC 140 and Zeiss 130 are triplets. How is this possible? Maybe he does have a superior product. But until someone looks through the eyepiece and gives a review, I consider it a gamble that the claimed performance can be met. I am not saying it can't, but on the surface the claims seem out of perportion for an f8 doublet. 

#63 salico

salico

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:14 PM

sounds a bit prejudiced. If we assume, the quality is met by the scopes, we should wait at least until they are available on the market. Here in Germany this will be mid March

#64 Aleksandr Naumov

Aleksandr Naumov

Mariner 2

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:15 PM

I assume that this curve is somewhat the justification of the pricing of the scope.

First of all, there is result of actual measurements (not calculation results): http://www.cloudynig...-4#entry7699063

Next, let me note the prices that was specified on Agema site are introductory prices.

These prices are obsolete now.

Actual price as for today is higher.

Finally, it's all about optical scheme.

If one can achieve better result with two lenses instead of three - he will win the prize.

(less glass, less surfaces).

Edited by Aleksandr Naumov, 03 March 2017 - 03:24 PM.

• SteveG likes this

#65 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez (No one expects the Spanish Inquisition)

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:04 PM

Oh, please excuse me for following off-topic. Delete if inappropriate.

Right. Let's please keep this thread on the TEC 10".

Speculation about Agema or tales of Russian optical manufacture deserve new threads.

Thanks.

• crazyqban likes this

#66 Kent10

Kent10

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:23 AM

More pictures of the Tec 250 on the new TEC Facebook site!

https://www.facebook...02887399774482/

#67 JimP

JimP

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:03 PM

It always amazes me when people talk about how expensive telescopes can be and only a very few wealthy amateurs can afford them. I then drive over to my son's house in a very middle class neighborhood and see a number of $30,000-60,000 boats on expensive trailers with 45 HP  outboard motors and a monster pickup truck needed to pull it. My daughter's boyfriend wants to get into chartering salt water fly-fishing and needs a $40,000 flats boat plus at least a 25 hp motor and trailer. I could go on and on. I won't even get into the sailboats I see in the harbor here. Astronomy is a NOT a very expensive hobby by comparison. You do NOT have to be wealthy to own a 10" refractor. It just depends where your priorities are. Bass boat, motor, trailer and pickup truck that you need a stepladder to get into the driver's seat or a 10" refractor? Most of the bass boat owners I see would not be characterized as wealthy. The difference in my opinion is that the bass enthusiast will have another excuse to own the pickup, and will get a loan if needed to buy what he wants, whereas the amateur astronomer will not.

Great TEC 10"! I hope many will consider owning, what for many is, the dream telescope of a lifetime.

• Paul G, Paul Morow and 2LiveAndDieInLA like this

#68 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

There is a small palace revolt going on with some in the current TEC group over the use of FB.  

Excellent points IMO JimP.  People collect classic cars but hardly drive them too.  My TEC 200ED was providing stunning views of the Moon last night while watching members of the Hyades wink in and out as the Moon passed in front of them.  An unforgettable evening for me.  

Hmm a home equity loan....hmmm....tax deductible interest too....hmmmm. hmm.gif

Jeff

#69 daveCollins

daveCollins

Viking 1

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

It always amazes me when people talk about how expensive telescopes can be and only a very few wealthy amateurs can afford them. I then drive over to my son's house in a very middle class neighborhood and see a number of $30,000-60,000 boats on expensive trailers with 45 HP  outboard motors and a monster pickup truck needed to pull it. My daughter's boyfriend wants to get into chartering salt water fly-fishing and needs a $40,000 flats boat plus at least a 25 hp motor and trailer. I could go on and on. I won't even get into the sailboats I see in the harbor here. Astronomy is a NOT a very expensive hobby by comparison. You do NOT have to be wealthy to own a 10" refractor. It just depends where your priorities are. Bass boat, motor, trailer and pickup truck that you need a stepladder to get into the driver's seat or a 10" refractor? Most of the bass boat owners I see would not be characterized as wealthy. The difference in my opinion is that the bass enthusiast will have another excuse to own the pickup, and will get a loan if needed to buy what he wants, whereas the amateur astronomer will not.

Great TEC 10"! I hope many will consider owning, what for many is, the dream telescope of a lifetime.

I think the price of the TEC 250 is reasonable. It matches quite close to the price of my LZOS 228 which cost $42,000, onto which had to be added the price of getting it into the country and taxes. In the end it was a $50,000 purchase which is the price of the TEC although 22mm smaller. I am not rich by  any stretch and it is only my personal priorities that allowed me to make the purchase. That purchase had effects in other areas of my life. But for me, the scope and what it can do is more meaningful than what I could do with a boat. I've been married a few times and this purchase would never happened had I been married ... never.

The question as to why some consider the cost of the TEC 250 to be so high can be partly answered by considering the specifics of those who feel this way. I think there are many reasons and I consider the following as general catagories of those who may consider $50,000 as an excessive amount to spend on a scope

1. An individual who is later in life, close to retirement, and for whom a $5,000 is doable, but for whom a $50,000 purchase would kill all hopes of retiring for some targeted time-frame.
  2. Those who are married and whose wife would never permit spending $50,000 on a selfish hobby especially considering that she doesn't have any interest in astronomy and won't get anything out of the purchase. In this case a boat may be justifiable, but not a telescope. So for this hobbyist, $50,000 on a dream scope is an extreme amount of money.
  3. For those who don't have $50,000 in cash, or any form of asset that can be turned into cash. You cannot get a loan for such a purchase, at least not like going to a boat dealership or truck dealership and signing a few forms and driving away with a new vehicle even though there isn't much in the person's bank account.

For a variety of reasons, I think the purchase of a scope is fundamentally different than a more sociably acceptable item. Boats can be used by the family. Trucks can be rationalized by the guy who wants it and can be purchased relatively easily. A $50,000 telescope requires $50,000 in cash that  effectively evaporates ... that is an extremely large amount of cash for most any working class person, myself included.

• M44, CounterWeight, Stellarfire and 2 others like this

#70 starcanoe

starcanoe

Vanguard

• Loc: Gulf Coast, Panhandle of Florida

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

If they put a bed, a toilet, and a kitchen in the tube the scope might qualify as a second home....getting tax advantages and the possibilty of a loan...

• t.r., CounterWeight and Peter Besenbruch like this

#71 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:52 PM

No worse than buying a new car! Checked those prices lately?

Blueman 

• Catapoman and CounterWeight like this

#72 Kent10

Kent10

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:02 AM

Yuri gave this report on the 250

"Short report about field test of APO250 at WSP 2017:
optics passed all tests working on hot days, warm nights, surviving tropical storm with strong wing and a lot of rain on Tuesday.
Color correction is the best we have ever done, color rendering was very natural, performance under the sky was only limited by sky condition.
From 5 nights we were staying there, only one was good or sometime very good, but not the best comparing to some previous WSPs.

Most planets were observed at day time on Friday:
Mars - a small, but attractive red disc on blue sky (!) with dark spot near center and some kind of X feature (I was not able to find today's image of Mars on internet). Never observed Mars at day time.
Saturn - soft beige color, but quite lower contrast comparing to Mars. Never observed Saturn at mid of day.
Mercury - larger than Mars, an easy target even being close to the Sun
Venus - very clean image, no any coloration
Moon was also close to the Sun, but an easy "catch of the day".

Observed Jupiter and deep sky objects at night also a few doubles, one with 0.7" separation was split easy at ~700X
Deep sky were very contrasty, Trapezium stars - very easy, Omega Centauri - you have to see  this "living creature" with 21mm Etho 100° @ 100X!
Sirius B also was an easy target, no color on the "A".
Jupiter - comparing to my previous observations at best moments the eye was able to picked up more color shades than I have ever seen before in any instruments and that is the problem - after seeing such rich coloration it would be difficult to go to smaller size refractor!

Regards, Yuri

Power at day time was up 200X, at night - from 100 to 400X, maximum on doubles - 700X."

https://www.facebook...02887399774482/

• Stellarfire likes this

#73 JimP

JimP

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:24 AM

What a wonderful report. I am very happy to hear how well the TEC 250 performs. I know it is expensive but Yuri may not make these forever so, if you want one and can find the money, you will be getting the telescope of a lifetime that will last many lifetimes.

#74 Tnk

Tnk

Lift Off

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:39 AM

This is what I call "Grab and go to the ER with back pain."

Beautiful scope.

• Bonco likes this

#75 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Aurora

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

I would argue that for a middle class family bringing in let's say $120,000, a $50,000 scope + the mount to carry it and an observatory to put it in, total $75,000, is an extravagance.  Most people who have boats already have a vehicle to tow it, and a boat is more of a family item.  In my previous family of 4, I was the only one interested in Astronomy.

Of course if I hit the lottery, naw, I still wouldn't buy a 10" Fluorite refractor.  Maybe an 8", something I could lift on a mount myself.

Edited by SandyHouTex, 11 March 2017 - 01:25 PM.

• Neptune likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics