•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon DSLR USB connection to Android tablet

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shurik

shurik

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:45 PM

I am trying to connect old Canon DSLR 5D and 20D to my Android Samsung tablet. those cameras do not have wireless connection so I can only use micro-usb provided cable. has anybody been successful in doing that? Basically  I would like to  be able to activate the shutter and to see downloaded image on my tablet.  What app and cable connections do you use if you were successful in doing that? 

Clear skies,  Alex

#2 CodeBlind

CodeBlind

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico, USA

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:52 PM

I've never tried this on a 5D or a 20D, but I have had success doing this on my 6D and 70D, using a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone as well as a Galaxy Tab A.

First thing you need is a USB On-The-Go Cable, like this one.

Then, for $8, grab DSLRController on the Google Play store. It comes with a full-featured intervalometer and supports bulb mode for shots longer than 30 seconds. It does have a few bugs but I've used it for about 2 years and it had been my go-to app for remote shooting. It even works over wifi for Canon bodies that support it.

#3 shurik

shurik

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:07 PM

Great thank you for all the information!  With that app can you program long exposure session let's say 50 images two minutes each downloaded and saved to the tablet? 

#4 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Soyuz

• Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

I bought a wireless SD card for my camera to download images from my camera to my phone and tablet via wifi.  I installed Magic Lantern on the card to "unlock" features of the camera that are not stock.  ML has a nice intervalometer function for taking a series of expoures automatically.  ML is not accessible from the wifi connection though so it has to be programmed on camera first.

#5 CodeBlind

CodeBlind

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico, USA

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:54 AM

Shurik, yes, you can program long exposure times plus number of shots if the camera is in bulb mode. You can also configure DSLR Controller to store images on the tablet too.

#6 kd4pbs

kd4pbs

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:09 PM

I don't know about the 5D, but if the 20D is even supported by DSLR Controller, it will be limited to 30-second exposures max.  The only way to make the 20D go longer is via a shutter release cable hooked to the remote shutter release connector on the camera, and the other end of that shutter release cable hooked to something like an intervalometer, or a computer interface that acts like an intervalometer.  DSLR Controller doesn't have provisions for controlling a shutter release in this manner.
EDIT:  Just looked it up.  the 5D suffers the same problem with 30 second maximum exposures via USB control.

Edited by kd4pbs, 28 February 2017 - 12:12 PM.

#7 shurik

shurik

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:31 AM

Looks like not a single app supports 5D or 20D to begin with... Tried them all and no luck... If anyone has these 2 cameras working with the tablet please let me know.  Thanks! 

#8 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Cosmos

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

The table here is useful to under standard Canon EOS limitations:

In column 5, if you see Yes(serial), it means the camera itself cannot support Bulb thru "USB-only" one-cable solution.

https://www.otelesco.../home/&page=bye

#9 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Cosmos

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:59 AM

BTW, one old thread:

http://www.cloudynig...ether-shooting/

#10 shurik

shurik

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:38 PM

If I get one of those eyefi cards would my old 5D be able to download images remotely on my tab using DSLR controller? 

#11 szg

szg

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

It's a lot of proud and fun when we can do AP with smart device. I tried a lot of similar setup and spend some of $$ before and finally end up with a simple wired remote timer shutter. Problem is the mobile app is less flexible, do not suite for AP. Almost no AP friendly apps at all.

There are many way to transfer image from DSLR to smartphone, by the way.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics