I am still seeing many complaints about this mount, for example that an 80mm refractor overtaxed it. It should be fine with 10lbs and a not-too-long scope and mine is now sturdy enough to probably be alright with up to 15lbs.
There are 3 main adjustments or mods I have done (to my VG 3):
1) The collar set screws (alt and az pairs) were loose and this allowed much slop in both dimensions. Simply tightening these helped a lot. They are the little black screws in the first photo.
2) The other main issue is the cast metal arm is not stiff enough and greatly prolongs vibration settling. Some people have bolted metal plates to it, but after some fooling around I found that just wedging a wood block in the upper gap made a considerable improvement with this problem. See next photo.
3) Finally, this is more obvious, tighten the spreader collar. The metal colored one right under the spreader. Then tighten it some more. And maybe again.
I also took everything apart and regreased but I'm not sure they really helped much. I still have a very little, barely noticeable, play in the az dimension but my alt is nice and firm.
Thanks to all the bad weather for allowing me to have the time to develop these improvements over the past several months. Please feel free to post more better ideas!
Edited by MrJones, 02 March 2017 - 02:11 PM.