•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Desert Sky Astro Mount Delivery Times

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#1 CraigRL

CraigRL

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, CA

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

What's your experience with Desert Sky Astro delivery times?

I ordered the DSV-1 Mount and Heavy Duty Surveyor Tripod on June 13, 2016 and was originally told 10 to 12 weeks for delivery. I have been in contact with Desert Sky Astro regularly and was told in early January 2017 that the DSV-1 mount should be ready by the end of January, so I made the payment on January 3, 2017. Still no update or mount.

#2 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

I ordered a loaded DSV-3 with deposit on October 26th and he said about two months. Last week I contacted him and he said he was finishing up a batch of mounts and that he would be testing them towards the end of last week and that I should get an email by the end of the week with the final invoice amount. I haven't received that notification yet, but expect to soon-ish. Yours is probably in that same batch.

He did tell me that a move of his home and business last summer cost him about 8-10 weeks of manufacturing time. In early December, he told me he was finally back into full production mode.

I guess we will get them when we get them, but this has always been a known issue with Raul. His products are absolutely top notch and worth waiting for but his delivery schedules are a bit, how shall we say, loose.

• CraigRL likes this

#3 macrossfan

macrossfan

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:43 AM

I ordered mine in May16, had the same experience as rockethead n still waiting. I guess u have to be very patient for this artpiece
  • CraigRL likes this

#4 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

macrossfan, on 06 Mar 2017 - 03:43 AM, said:

I ordered mine in May16, had the same experience as rockethead n still waiting. I guess u have to be very patient for this artpiece

You have been waiting 10 months for yours? Jeez, this doesn't fill me with confidence of getting mine anytime this year, since I just ordered in January and was told I should have it by the end of February. I knew that the February date was unrealistic, based on past posts here, but I hoped to have it by the April Jupiter opposition.

Now wondering if I should cancel the order and put my deposit toward a Halfhitch or Discmount?

#5 macrossfan

macrossfan

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:59 AM

I think you have to clarify your requirements to Raul before its too late for the opposition~

#6 CraigRL

CraigRL

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:05 PM

Well guys, I sent an email to Raul for an update on Friday. We'll see what the latest update is. Trying to be patient.  shocked.gif  

#7 City Kid

City Kid

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

I wish I could remember exact times but I don't. If I recall correctly my delivery time was something like twice the original quoted time. This was not unexpected because I had read enough on these forums to know it would probably be like that. Even so it was frustrating. I do like the mount though.

#8 Starman81

Starman81

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:44 PM

I couldn't play the waiting game and instead went the route of the HH FTX V.2 Classic. However, I still did pine for a dual-mount like my ES T-II but with more options. I got lucky when what I wanted popped up on the used market. Then, my wait time was ~4-5 days. cool.gif

• Jeff Morgan likes this

#9 EricR

EricR

Messenger

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:12 PM

I've had a DSV-3 on order (50% deposit) since Feb 2016. It does sometimes take Raul a bit to respond to emails (often times about a week) but he's always responded to my inquiries and has been very up-front about delays (moving and stuff), plus has offered to refund my money several times due to the delays.

I decided to just stick with it and hope to get my DSV-3 in the near future.

If this purchase were time-urgent for me, I would've gone a different direction but the DSV-3 seems like it'll fill a need I have (at good value) so I'm sticking with it.

• CraigRL likes this

#10 Starman81

Starman81

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

I've had a DSV-3 on order (50% deposit) since Feb 2016. 

jawdrop.gif

#11 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

Yeah, a year is a long time, even with the disruption of Raul's move. Eric is an extremely patient fellow. Of course for me, the DSV-3 is exactly what I want as well and I have no specific timeline needs, so maybe with a lot of hand wringing, I could be as patient. On the other end of things, folks wait ten years for an AP scope. So, that puts one year into perspective.

• CraigRL likes this

#12 zawijava

zawijava

Apollo

• Loc: West Paris, Maine 04289

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:30 PM

If I recall correctly, I placed an order for a DSV-3 GoTo in Aug 2015 and took delivery end of Feb 2016. I sold the mount recently.......the new Owner took delivery in less than a week grin.gif

• jrbarnett and Starman81 like this

#13 CraigRL

CraigRL

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

Well, it has been over a week since I sent Raul an email message for an update on my mount with no response. Anyone hear from Raul lately regarding the DSV-1 mount delivery estimate?

#14 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

Well, it has been over a week since I sent Raul an email message for an update on my mount with no response. Anyone hear from Raul lately regarding the DSV-1 mount delivery estimate?

Did you receive a response yet? If not, try calling.

I think I'll just quit trying to get an estimated time of delivery and just wait for a surprise one day. I think Raul might live in an alternate dimension and his time flows different than ours.

• CraigRL likes this

#15 macrossfan

macrossfan

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:06 AM

Anyone got any updates?

#16 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:49 AM

No. I did email Raul the day before yesterday though. I swore I wasn't going to ask anymore, but I caved.

#17 CraigRL

CraigRL

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:53 AM

No update either. I emailed Raul last month on March 3 and this month on April 3, with no reply. I have also tried calling him over the last couple days, but keep getting his voicemail.

#18 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:17 AM

Vacation?

#19 City Kid

City Kid

Gemini

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:27 AM

Vacation?

My guess is no but I'm only speculating. I say that because I think this is just typical for Raul. Communication with customers, once you've made the downpayment, doesn't seem to be his strong point. Like I've mentioned before, I found this to be very frustrating even though it's exactly what I expected from reading threads here on CN. But as far as I know everyone that has ever ordered a mount from him eventually received it. Now that my own personal frustration is in the past I'm able to just enjoy the mount. I do like the mount.

Edited by City Kid, 05 April 2017 - 11:28 AM.

#20 gundark

gundark

Mariner 2

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:06 PM

This is somebody you want to buy an expensive piece of equipment from?

#21 City Kid

City Kid

Gemini

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:14 PM

This is somebody you want to buy an expensive piece of equipment from?

That's a fair question. If I was a business owner and the delivery date I gave my customer was exceeded by months (mine was) I would certainly feel obligated to explain to the customer why. I wouldn't dream of just not saying anything and ignoring the customer's attempts at communication. Just seems like common courtesy. Having said that, I don't regret my purchase one bit. Although the DSV-3 isn't cheap it is a lot of mount for the money. I could nitpick and find things I don't like about it but I could probably find things I don't like about every mount there is because as with all other astro equipment, everything is compromise of some sort. Overall the DSV-3 is a well designed mount with smooth motions and a fair amount of load capability for the money. Yes, Raul could do much better in his dealings with customers when it comes to communication but he makes a good mount and as far as I'm aware he's never not delivered a mount that was paid for. He just regularly doesn't deliver it on time.

It would be reasonable for someone to decide they don't want to do business him based on his lack of communication and lack of realistic delivery times. In the end I decided I would just deal with it because I wanted one of his mounts.

• rockethead26 and gundark like this

#22 CraigRL

CraigRL

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:21 PM

I was able to connect with Raul today by phone. My DSV-1 dual dovetail mount is ready and should be shipped soon. The heavy duty surveyor tripod will be shipped later (he needs to make the spreader bars). Progress. I'll provide updates when I actually receive the mount and tripod.

• rockethead26 likes this

#23 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:40 PM

That's good news, Craig. I'm always glad just to know that he's still there and working on our mounts.

#24 macrossfan

macrossfan

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

thk u Craig. Relieve my anxiety somewhat.
I was very concern when there was absolutely no one posting new mount receipt fron Desert Sky Astro. Pls post pics when u have "it".

#25 CraigRL

CraigRL

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:08 PM

Well, I have not received my DSV-1 mount (or tripod) yet. 

Has anyone else received their mount?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics