•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zeiss Jena Orthos

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#26 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:41 PM

Thank you Sandy :)

#27 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:27 PM

Thank you Sandy smile.gif

You're welcome.  One of these days I would like to get a Telementor.  I hear they are wonderful scopes.

#28 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:03 AM

As soon as the sky allows it, I want to try to compare my TV Plössl 8 mm to my Masuyama 7.5 mm to my newly acquired CZJ 8 mm (yes, got one finally, in Europe), I hope I can test them all on Jupiter with my Telemator, or my Tak. But the weather is not so great today, and the weekend looks like it will be awful...

#29 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:22 AM

As soon as the sky allows it, I want to try to compare my TV Plössl 8 mm to my Masuyama 7.5 mm to my newly acquired CZJ 8 mm (yes, got one finally, in Europe), I hope I can test them all on Jupiter with my Telemator, or my Tak. But the weather is not so great today, and the weekend looks like it will be awful...

Congrats on the O-8!! bow.gif

Good stuff like that always brings the Weather Curse down on you. 

Cheers,

Ron

#30 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:56 AM

Oh, this is why :D !!!

#31 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:22 PM

Congratulations on the find. They are very nice.

I've owned two 8mm over the years. Both sold when I couldn't resist the offer.

The last one was the only CZJ eyepiece I've seen with "Carl Zeiss Germany" on the ring.

Prior to that one, I had only seen rings with "Carl Zeiss Jena" or "Aus Jena".

I'm guessing it was a late production.

Zeiss_8mm_2.jpg

#32 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:59 AM

Yes and no, the one I found is almost like on the photo above : Carl Zeiss Jena on the side, not Germany. I even have the original invoice with it : 140 DM (Deutsch Mark) back in November 1992, from Baader... The first owner had it all those years, and I am the second owner so far. I tried it last night on Jupiter and some close double stars with my Telementor, I used a Zeiss eyepiece turret with a TV Plössl 8mm, Masuyama 7.5 and the CZJ 8-O. To be honest, it's hard to tell who was best or not, the sky conditions were not great, and some high altitude clouds made go home early. So far no result then.

Edited by Disciplus55, 31 March 2017 - 08:56 AM.

#33 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

You really found one? That's awesome! 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#34 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:14 PM

Yes sir, just accros the border, in Germany, a bit north of Trier, a fine gentleman who kept everything original :-) !

#35 Napersky

Napersky

Vanguard

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:10 AM

Please find me one !

#36 Napersky

Napersky

Vanguard

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:20 AM

Only 16mm has no writing 

#37 Napersky

Napersky

Vanguard

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:23 AM

Photo

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7909.JPG

#38 Max Lattanzi

Max Lattanzi

Viking 1

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:06 AM

Tonight I will test and compare the CZJ 25-O slim and the ZAO 25 on my Tak. Let's see how it goes.

I predict that they will be more alike than different, but that the O-25 will have a slightly yellowish image and the ZAO 25 will be more neutral. The transmission in the ZAO will be slightly better. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Exactly !!!! Plus a bit more scatter for the 25-O than on the ZAO 25... but both showed a high level of details and contrast, with a slightly warmer/yellowish tone for the CZJ. After I did a Comparison on the CZJ 4-O and the ZAO II 4, and the yellowish image of the CZJ was even more pronounced compare to the ZAO II. More brighteness (neutral tone) in the ZAO II, but equally sharp on the details of the Moon.

Hi Sylvain,

You know, the CZJ Orthos are not designed for your Tak, rather for the AS and E Zeiss series. If you have an AS (or your Telementor) try the same comparison and you'll see what happens with that warmer/yellowish tone... ;-)

A bientôt

-- Max

#39 Napersky

Napersky

Vanguard

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

Yes and no, the one I found is almost like on the photo above : Carl Zeiss Jena on the side, not Germany. I even have the original invoice with it : 140 DM (Deutsch Mark) back in November 1992, from Baader... The first owner had it all those years, and I am the second owner so far. I tried it last night on Jupiter and some close double stars with my Telementor, I used a Zeiss eyepiece turret with a TV Plössl 8mm, Masuyama 7.5 and the CZJ 8-O. To be honest, it's hard to tell who was best or not, the sky conditions were not great, and some high altitude clouds made go home early. So far no result then.

Conversion rate to USD 1992 1.56 DM to 1 US dollar.... just around $100 US dollars when exchange fees are factored in.

#40 Napersky

Napersky

Vanguard

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:14 PM

Tonight I will test and compare the CZJ 25-O slim and the ZAO 25 on my Tak. Let's see how it goes.

I predict that they will be more alike than different, but that the O-25 will have a slightly yellowish image and the ZAO 25 will be more neutral. The transmission in the ZAO will be slightly better. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Exactly !!!! Plus a bit more scatter for the 25-O than on the ZAO 25... but both showed a high level of details and contrast, with a slightly warmer/yellowish tone for the CZJ. After I did a Comparison on the CZJ 4-O and the ZAO II 4, and the yellowish image of the CZJ was even more pronounced compare to the ZAO II. More brighteness (neutral tone) in the ZAO II, but equally sharp on the details of the Moon.

Hi Sylvain,

You know, the CZJ Orthos are not designed for your Tak, rather for the AS and E Zeiss series. If you have an AS (or your Telementor) try the same comparison and you'll see what happens with that warmer/yellowish tone... ;-)

A bientôt

-- Max

So Max if the Jena Orthos have this yellow tinge to them and they are really made for Zeiss products then which would be the best .965 barrel eyepieces for general Non Zeiss use?

Mark

Villa Park

#41 buddy ny

buddy ny

Viking 1

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:26 PM

So Max if the Jena Orthos have this yellow tinge to them and they are really made for Zeiss products then which would be the best .965 barrel eyepieces for general Non Zeiss use?

Try The

Pentax SMC Orthos

,,to my eye,,, a cut above  the CZJ orthos

The CZJ orthos might designed specifically for a Zeiss Scope

ive used them  a TMB 105mm & a TMB115mm & a TV-85

No color that I recall

ive had the  ZAO's & the Pentaxs as well

is there another viable option??? besides the Pentax,,,Small chance,,,, or the CZJ,,,better chance???

#42 Napersky

Napersky

Vanguard

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:53 AM

Buddy,

I have admired the Pentax but alas I have finally aquired the Zeiss Orthos minus the 8mm and 40mm.

Mark

#43 Max Lattanzi

Max Lattanzi

Viking 1

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:59 AM

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Hi Sylvain,

A bientôt

-- Max

Mark

Villa Park

Mark,

As an alternative I personally use the Takahashi Ortho. I have no first-hand experience of Pentax (and Nikon) but I am ready to think they're just as good.

This being said, 95% of the times I use the CZJ also for non-Zeiss scopes: the warm tone is invisible if you do not run a side-by-side; more important I have a double set which is indispensable when binoviewing.

Maybe one day I'll get a second Tak Ortho set... at  that moment we shall see ;-)

Cheers,

-- Max

#44 buddy ny

buddy ny

Viking 1

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:08 AM

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Hi Sylvain,

A bientôt

-- Max

Mark

Villa Park

Mark,

As an alternative I personally use the Takahashi Ortho. I have no first-hand experience of Pentax (and Nikon) but I am ready to think they're just as good.

This being said, 95% of the times I use the CZJ also for non-Zeiss scopes: the warm tone is invisible if you do not run a side-by-side; more important I have a double set which is indispensable when binoviewing.

Maybe one day I'll get a second Tak Ortho set... at  that moment we shall see ;-)

Cheers,

-- Max

Nice Call

I forgot about  Tak.,,, and other offerings such as badder,, KK

but now I digress

#45 Napersky

Napersky

Vanguard

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:48 AM

Thanks MAX nice to know you like the Jena Orthos.

Mark

#46 msalganik

msalganik

Mariner 2

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:09 AM

Regarding the warmer tone in the CZJs - I don't recall that with the ones I used to have (25/16/10/6/4). I used them in an F6 reflector and they were very neutral and sharp. That was 5-6 years ago at least. 

#47 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:30 AM

ph34r.png ph34r.png ph34r.png

Attached Thumbnails

• zeiss2.jpg

Edited by Disciplus55, 26 April 2017 - 09:33 AM.

#48 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

ph34r.png ph34r.png ph34r.png

I am so jealous.

#49 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

The 16-O is one with the blackened barrel inside and a real field stop, not for the standard reticle insert.

#50 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:16 AM

The 16-O is one with the blackened barrel inside and a real field stop, not for the standard reticle insert.

Now that's just rubbing salt in the wound.  I have two 16mm Jenas.  One with the real field stop and one with the removable cross hairs.  What I don't have is all of the other focal lengths.

I have 2 tens, 2 16s, and a 25 mm.

Edited by SandyHouTex, 27 April 2017 - 10:17 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics