•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 and 10x25 introduced

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

Zeiss has introduced 2 new pocket Victory binoculars at the IWA2017 in Nürnberg.

More info is available from Zeiss in Germany or in English here.

Needless to say I ordered a pair of the new Victory 8x25 to see how they compare to my Zeiss Terra ED 8x25. The new Victory has a much wider field of view (60 degrees) and looks promising throughout. 

No confirmation of a delivery date yet. I'll keep you posted!

• Mad Matt, Jerry Barnett, jtpowers and 2 others like this

#2 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:05 PM

My new Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25's have arrived today jump.gif

First impressions are marvellous. Update to follow, probably next week, weather permitting. With photo's and comparisons of course.

#3 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:44 AM

Here is a first picture of my new Zeiss Pocket 8x25's in their sealed box that I opened yesterday smile.gif

_DSC3086.jpg

• JMKarian likes this

#4 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:57 AM

They are clearly marked "Japan" on the outside of the box and on the the inside of the left barrel and appear to be very well made.

#5 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:58 AM

That's it for now, more to follow.

#6 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

What is the attraction, after you raved about the Terra?
Other than wanting to have one of everything, I mean. ;-)

#7 ThomasM

ThomasM

Viking 1

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:41 PM

What is the attraction, after you raved about the Terra?
Other than wanting to have one of everything, I mean. ;-)

Here is a first picture of my new Zeiss Pocket 8x25's in their sealed box that I opened yesterday smile.gif

attachicon.gif_DSC3086.jpg

This is a very interesting binocular, may be not in a first place for astronomical observation but as a binocular having always with you.  I own a Leica 8x20, a little bit lighter ( 230 g instead of 290 g) but only 113 m true field instead of 130 m for the new Zeiss. Unfortunately it is quite  expensive.

Thomas

#8 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:54 PM

The biggest attraction to me is the single hinged design. Second comes the likeliness of even better optics and mechanics.

My first impressions are that new Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25"s score on all those points in the field. I need some time to do more field tests and under the stars evaluating how they perform. So far I can say they are mighty nice performers and feel very nice in my hands.

#9 ThomasM

ThomasM

Viking 1

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:21 PM

attachicon.gif_DSC3086.jpg

May be a strange question, do you like the bag, what is the weight of the bag?

Thomas

#10 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:37 PM

I think I'll pass at $750.  Plus I already own the Terras.

Edited by SandyHouTex, 15 July 2017 - 06:38 PM.

#11 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:06 AM

victory 8x25 vs SW 8x25 CL

question.gif

#12 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

Here you go.

The Swarovski CL Pocket 8x25 B and the new Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25:

IMG_9345.jpg

#13 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2017 - 02:24 PM

The Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 and Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25:

_DSC3094.jpg

#14 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2017 - 02:29 PM

The new Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25's are wonderful compact binoculars with very easy, inviting, wide views.

For me, they represent the next step in pocket binoculars with class leading wide (60 degrees), bright, sharp and comfortable views that are a step up from to Zeiss Terra ED's and Swaro CL Pocket 8x25"s. Form factor is wonderful too. So both the views and handling of the new Zeiss Victory Pocket are class leading. 

They can be put away in their largish case in the same configuration you use them. No need to fold them or retract their eyecups. That alone is wonderful. 

These new small binoculars are made in Japan to very high standards and have the characteristic Zeiss T* LotuTec look of the coatings and are very bright and contrasty. Definitely a step up from the Terra ED's. Compared to the Swaro's they have a much wider field that is quite sharp to the edge, but less so than the Swaro's.

If you love widish fields and superb optics with ditto mechanics, the new Zeiss Victory Pocket's are hard to beat. That is for people who use their right hand to focus, as I do. Because their asymmetric design is best for right-handed users. If you are a Swarovski fan/owner and want very small binoculars, you will still enjoy the Swaro CL Pockets a lot.

Only time will tell how well these new Zeiss from Japan age, but their feel is wonderful.

At this moment, the new Zeiss Pocket 8x25's lead the field IMHO, with their briljant, wide views in a very comfortable to use ergonomic form factor. 

Mechanically they feel just superb too.

I get the impression someone at Zeiss took the Terra ED's and said to the engineers: "just improve these to the best of your ability and create a new reference pair of pocket binoculars worthy of the Zeiss heritage". I think they just did that.

Prices are comparable to those of the  Swarovski CL Pocket's, but more than double the price of the Terra ED 8x25's. The Zeiss Terra ED bang for the buck is still unbeaten and are more compact if stowed away in their case. I enjoy the new Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 immensely and find them well worth their steep price. Hence they were added to my Zeiss Victory family.

YMMV of course wink.gif

Zeiss Victory FL Family portrait with from left to right my FL 10x56, FL 7x42 and Pocket 8x25 FL:

_DSC3103.jpg

• Pinac likes this

#15 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

The new Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25's are wonderful with very easy, inviting wide views.

At this moment, the new Zeiss Pocket 8x25's lead the field IMHO, with their briljant, wide views in a very comfortable to use ergonomic form factor. 

Thank you, Erik.

I agree with everything you say (I got mine just a few days ago). The image is distinctly brighter than the one of the Terra, and the wide views are a big plus over other pocket binos.

Also, I prefer the Pocket Victory over other 8x25s because of two further reasons: the excellent "Einblickverhalten" (ease to find a comfortable view of the entire FOV), which I rate higher than even the Swaro's, and the single hinge design, which I much prefer over the double hinge of e.g. the Terra or the CL Pocket.

Zeiss had really done a good job with the new Victory Pocket.

What needs of course also to be said: the Victory Pocket carries quite a price tag (790 francs in Switzerland, more than double the Terra) !

Pinac

Edited by Pinac, 22 July 2017 - 03:08 PM.

• Erik Bakker likes this

#16 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:11 PM

Pinac,

Glad you got your new Victory Pocket's too.

I am with you completely!

They have a wonderful positive effect on me: I just want to keep on using them laugh.gif

#17 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:12 PM

For those interested, here is a picture where you can get an impression of the size of the case (included) of the new Victory 8x25 Pockets next to the case (optional) of the Terra ED 8x25's. The Terra ED's need to be folded and their eyecups almost fully screwed in to fit the black case. Whereas the new Victory Pocket fit into their included case exactly as you use the binoculars. Even if you have wide IPD and don't use glasses (eyecups fully extracted).

_DSC3090.jpg

#18 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:21 PM

As for the coatings, the Swaro CL Pocket (left) compared to the Zeiss Victory Pocket (right):

IMG_9337.jpg

#19 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:23 PM

And the Zeiss Victory Pocket (top) (note their single hinged, asymmetrical design) compared to the Zeiss Terra ED (bottom):

_DSC3100.jpg

#20 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:25 PM

frown.gif  i am left handed

but

smile.gif saved $750

or maybe   question.gif   kowa 8x22s

I wonder if one can get a left handed zeiss

edj

Edited by edwincjones, 22 July 2017 - 03:36 PM.

• Erik Bakker likes this

#21 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:29 PM

That's it folks. Just a short impression of my new pocket binoculars. No extensive review this time, I am busy enjoying my new Pocket FL's both under the sun and stars and about to go on holiday jump.gif

#22 Jeelan

Jeelan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, Western Australia

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:07 AM

Thanks for the review Erik, its good to see that the new Zeiss case allows the binos to be stored with eyecup extended. I'm guessing that there's enough room in the case for the neck strap as well...

thanks again, enjoy your holidays!

cheers

Jeelan

#23 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:52 AM

.... its good to see that the new Zeiss case allows the binos to be stored with eyecup extended. I'm guessing that there's enough room in the case for the neck strap as well...

cheers

Jeelan

Yes Jeelan,

There is enough room for the nice, small neck strap as well. Have not attached that yet, but may try that, as it is a really nice strap. 

#24 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:13 AM

Eyerelief:

The eyecups of the Zeiss Victory Pocket have only 2 locking positions: completely screwed in or fully extended out.

Completely out is what I normally use, as I observe without glasses and that works beautifully.

The wonderful thing is that even observers with glasses can enjoy the full field of the new Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25's. All they have to do is screw in the eyecups. Their wonderful ease of view is preserved with eyeglasses on. They work similarly well with glasses on as the much bigger Zeiss Victory FL 10x56's.

#25 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:16 AM

The remarkable thing I find is that the new Zeiss Victory Pockets have something in their touch, feel and ease of view to them that reminds me of the NLA Zeiss Dialyt 7x42. Just inviting and special. They just make me want to go out and observe. And that is what do ever since I have them. Go out and observe our wonderful universe, both day and night.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics