•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 and 10x25 introduced

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#26 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:38 AM

Erik,

Congratulations on your latest acquisition.

The thought of a pocket compact model being as invitingly friendly to use as a 7x42 Dialyt is heart-warming indeed!

I've a feeling you are about to enjoy many years with this model and certainly hope so.

Kenny

#27 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:39 AM

Thanks Kenny!

Well put. I find these new little 8x25's pocket rockets heart-warming indeed. 

#28 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:40 AM

I just measured closest focus for my eyes to about 150 cm with the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25's, which is closer than the 190 cm Zeiss claims in their technical data. The Zeiss Terra ED 8x25's focus closer still, to about 145 cm's. Both Zeiss 8x25's focus much closer than the Swarovski CL Pocket 8x25 B, which come into closest focus to about 223 cm.

#29 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:43 PM

Are there no downsides to the new Victory Pockets?

Of course there are. Here is one: they did not include eyepiece covers with them at their current price point. Which handicaps them in being used with their beautiful new neck strap for prolonged periods of time. Especially in foul weather or rainy/dusty conditions. 

My advice to Zeiss is to include these eyepiece covers ASAP as standard equipment. And well designed please. Or at least make them available as an option for a decent price of say US$ 10.

Many people just take pocket binoculars with them in their standard case and wear them on their belt. Or even in a pocket.

But if a manufacturer decides to include a neck strap, which Zeiss does as standard equipment with the new Victory Pockets, they HAVE to include eyepiece covers as well IMHO. So the owner can choose to wear them around their neck with the strap and eyepiece covers. Or in their case on their belt or in a large coat pocket.

Just my 2 cents.

• raal likes this

#30 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:59 PM

Are there no downsides to the new Victory Pockets?

................. they did not include eyepiece covers with them at their current price point...........

Just my 2 cents.

No, just cheapness on Zeiss's part.

Of course, the other down side for me (a Left hander) is the asymmetrical design being more difficult i---a deal killer.

edj

Edited by edwincjones, 24 July 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#31 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:19 PM

Perhaps the asymmetrical design is a bit comparable to camera's: designed primarily for right handers. Of course left handers can still take superb pictures with them too. And they do smile.gif

So perhaps you should just try these asymmetrical binoculars to experience how they fit your hands. Especially for left handed people with smaller hands they should do OK.

• Jeelan likes this

#32 NDfarmer

NDfarmer

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:40 PM

Erik:  A nice report, these sound very good.  How does the eye relief compare

to the Terra ?

I have the 8x25 Terra and have tried the Swaro. CL 8x25, and I find I have to hold

them just a little bit from my eyes for the most comfortable view.

I use the left forefinger forehead brace to keep the proper distance and steady

the binocular with any pocket type.  The Zeiss Terra does well in this regard.

I focus with my right forefinger.

• Jerry Barnett likes this

#33 pompadour

pompadour

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:43 PM

Erik,

Thanks for those reports!

This is to ask for a favour. It is impossible for me to try before I buy where I live!

Could you please measure the weight on a suitably accurate device, to ± 1 g is fine, to check on Zeiss's figure of 290 g (whether it is in fact exact/very close).

Also, and this too important for me, what is the IPD shown in post #19?

Thank you.

Pompadour

#34 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:17 PM

Pompadour,

My Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 weigh in at 290 grams on my scale. To be safe, I would say + or - 5 grams.

IPD in the picture of post #19 is around 70mm + or - 0.5 mm.

Hope this helps.

#35 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:20 PM

Thomas,

Weight of the new Victory Pocket case is around 120 grams. To be safe + or - 5 grams.

#36 Luis Serrano

Luis Serrano

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: ZGZ, Spain

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for the report Erik. I'm tempted to buy the Victory Pocket but I'm also interested in the Kowa Genesis 22.

I'm looking for a small package and I have the feeling that the Victory Pocket is a little bit larger than the Kowa but maybe I'm wrong. How does the Victory Pocket folded compare with the Terra or CL Pocket folded (...in terms of size)?

#37 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:41 PM

Luis,

The Victory Pocket are not binoculars I fold. That's one of the reasons I bought them, because I prefer my binoculars ready in their case to use smile.gif

#38 pompadour

pompadour

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:40 PM

Erik,

Thank you, and for doing that for me. Sorry I demanded ± 1 g! That's because I thought ordinary household electronic scales are about that.

Pompadour

#39 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:38 PM

Here is a first picture of my new Zeiss Pocket 8x25's in their sealed box that I opened yesterday smile.gif

attachicon.gif_DSC3086.jpg

Zeiss from Japan.  What is the world coming too?

:grin:

- Jim

#40 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:33 AM

Pompadour, your welcome. Glad I could be of help.

I weighed them on a nice classical mechanical household balance scale from the 60's. As far as precision goes: better safe than sorry.

In the real world this scale might measure more accurate than what I indicated, but the precision you asked for requires certified measuring equipment which I don't have at home smile.gif

I have a gut feeling Zeiss had quite a good scale when they weighed them for the specifications. They are definitely lighter than the Zeiss Terra ED 8x25's or Swaro CL Pocket 8x25's that measured 325 grams and 355 grams on the same household scale.

#41 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:18 AM

So perhaps you should just try these asymmetrical binoculars to experience how they fit your hands. Especially for left handed people with smaller hands they should do OK.

ALWAYS a good idea to try before buying.

(darn it Eric-I was excited to save that $750, but now your post reminds me that the nearby Cabelas carries Zeiss)

edj

#42 pompadour

pompadour

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:58 AM

Erik, I have no doubt about the quality of Zeiss's own weighing equipment! But manufrs. do give incorrect figures, for promotion or from carelessness. To be fair to Zeiss I cannot remember right at this moment having had such a problem with them.

To me this is about the cutoff level for the weight of pocket binoculars. I find Nikon's best 10x25 (HG/Premier) just tolerable. It is stated by them to be 300 g but I suspect the figure is actually less than that. I also suspect I am stretching the limit up to justify getting this Zeiss!

Edited by pompadour, 26 July 2017 - 08:09 AM.

#43 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:00 AM

Pompadour,

Zeiss is either spot-on or conservative with their specifications.

In real life, they focus much closer for my eyes than they specify. I do realize that is a very personal thing and can vary a bit. But Zeiss has always done very well in that respect and continue to do so with the new Victory Pockets.

I think you will really like them compared to the Nikon HG's.

#44 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:00 AM

I am sorry Edj.

But I may have gotten you a mini Dialyt for that price lol.gif

#45 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:02 AM

As a side note, while the case is very light, the zipper fasteners of the case tend to be a bit rattly when walking with the case on your belt. Might scare away some wild animals.

I really like, and urge Zeiss to include, good (rubber) covers to protect the eyepieces from the elements.

As a side effect that would allow us to carry these binoculars around our neck with their eyepieces protected from rain and the likes.

#46 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:51 AM

My Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 weigh in at 290 grams on my scale. To be safe, I would say + or - 5 grams.

Hi Erik,

That is light.  I just measured Kowa 8x22 weight.  It is 348 grams.

I didn't see back of Zeiss 8x25 binoculars case but I assume that you can attach it to belt.  Right?

The case looks a little bulky.  I wonder if it fits well on belt during trail running?

I agree with you about binoculars to be ready to use in the case.  I've missed a few precious moments

while pulling binoculars from case and adjusting to use with Kowa...   Kowa's eyepiece cup is very tight

so that it takes time to pull it off...

Tammy

#47 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:06 PM

Tammy,

You can attach  them to your belt, but not quite as snug as the Terra ED case. The belt loop has a bit more room. Fine for walking/trekking, less so for trial running. 

The case is biggish, but light. For alpine mountain climbing, I would prefer the Tera ED's. But I don't use them for that.

The views with the Victory Pocket 8x25's are instantaneous. No fussing and very comfortable for such small and light binoculars. 

Just came home from a walk in the forest. Case is nice for that with easy access to the binoculars. And a tight fit for them with their eyecups extracted and IPD set form eyes at around 70mm.

Below are some pictures of the backside and inside of the case with the bins at IPD 70mm and eyecups extended, as I currently use them in the field:

_DSC3201.jpg

_DSC3202.jpg

_DSC3203.jpg

#48 NDfarmer

NDfarmer

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:15 PM

Erik: 

Back again, I asked above about the eye relief, and how they

compare to the Swaro. and the Terra.

Viewing comfort is a challenge with any pocket binocular, that I have

tried. 

#49 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:47 AM

Erik: 

Back again, I asked above about the eye relief, and how they

compare to the Swaro. and the Terra.

Viewing comfort is a challenge with any pocket binocular, that I have

tried. 

Currently I no longer have the ability to compare those three side-side. I only kept the Victory Pocket 8x25 for personal use. But I might be able to do a direct comparison between all three somewhere in the future. But that will be after the summer or later.

Perhaps Pinac can chime in on this soon and can comment from direct comparison between all three. 

#50 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:30 AM

Tammy,

You can attach  them to your belt, but not quite as snug as the Terra ED case. The belt loop has a bit more room. Fine for walking/trekking, less so for trial running. 

The case is biggish, but light. For alpine mountain climbing, I would prefer the Tera ED's. But I don't use them for that.

The views with the Victory Pocket 8x25's are instantaneous. No fussing and very comfortable for such small and light binoculars. 

Just came home from a walk in the forest. Case is nice for that with easy access to the binoculars. And a tight fit for them with their eyecups extracted and IPD set form eyes at around 70mm.

Below are some pictures of the backside and inside of the case with the bins at IPD 70mm and eyecups extended, as I currently use them in the field:

attachicon.gif_DSC3201.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC3202.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC3203.jpg

Thanks, Erik for detailed answer and photos.

I carry Kowa 8x22 on my belt (38mm wide) with running pouch.  This is the second running pouch that I recently bought to replace

the first one, almost torn apart. You can tell beaten up, worn belt on Kowa case since I run with it.  The case is well made and it protects well.  I dropped/fell several times during run but I don't see any damage on binoculars :)

large.jpg

large.jpg

Tammy

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics