•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 and 10x25 introduced

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#51 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

Here is a first picture of my new Zeiss Pocket 8x25's in their sealed box that I opened yesterday smile.gif

attachicon.gif_DSC3086.jpg

Zeiss from Japan.  What is the world coming too?

grin.gif

- Jim

I see this happening everywhere from the former "alpha", and I use that term loosely, binocular companies in Europe.  As these companies compete against Chinese optics that continue to get better and better on the high end, I'm sure it's killing companies like Zeiss and forcing them to look at less expensive ways of manufacturing.  I have some binoculars from China that I cannot find any sensible defects in at $500.  Why oh why, would I spend $3000 for the same binocular, but only with Germany written on it?

In fact, I recently had an issue with a Zeiss Conquest HD binocular from Germany.  I paid $1000 for it 4 years ago and wanted to see if the Zeisses were that much better than the others I have.  They weren't, but it satisfied my curiosity.  I hadn't used it in about a year, and when I removed it from my climate controlled environment, my bedroom closet where they are kept, they had a white powder coating all over them.  When I rubbed it, you could feel what I thought was some of the original rubber coating coming off.  Ahhh!  I was told to use some glycerin on them to remove the powdered coating, which seems to have worked okay.  I shouldn't have to do that with quality binoculars.

And before everyone jumps on me and says they weren't made in Germany, like they have before, I will post pictures of the "Made in Germany" on the box AND on the binoculars themselves.  If that's not proof enough, I invite the person doing the jumping to prove that their Zeiss Victorys are actually entirely made in Germany.  Or better yet, tell me what percentage of the Conquest HDs and Victorys are made in Germany.  I'm guessing only Zeiss knows that.

Another little tidbit.  I purchased a binocular microscope about 5 years ago as well for around $250.  They were made in China and are perfect for what I needed.  The manufacturer had a picture of their assembly line with the brand I bought, right next to the line that was making the Zeiss microscopes, for which Zeiss probably was charging thousands of dollars.

#52 paulsky

paulsky

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:46 AM

Hello,

In relation to light trasmission, there is some information in this theme ?? comparatively to Swarovsky 8x25 , also Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 ?

For nature, birding, astro...

In other main, how compare the new Zeiss Victory 8x25 to the Zeiss Victory compact 8x20 ?

Thanks

Regards,

Paul

Edited by paulsky, 01 August 2017 - 12:04 PM.

#53 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:43 PM

Paul,

No measurements are available on light transmission at this moment, but likely between 92% and 95%. The Leica Ultravid 8x20's transmit 94%, while the older Zeiss Victory 8x20 transmits 92% according

to these measurements in table 3 on page 8 carried out in august 2005 by Dr. G. van Ginkel.

The Zeiss 8x25's should be brighter than their predecessor 8x20's. They are at least as bright transmission wise with similar coatings and perhaps even better new glass. Likely the new pockets are a bit brighter, because a 25% gain in aperture (front lens diameter) is substantial in these small binoculars.

Gain in light collecting power is even bigger:  25^2 / 20^2 =  625 / 400 = 1.5625 or a gain of 56.25%. That is serious amount of additional light.

During the day no big deal (just a matter of optical quality and transmission), but at dusk, night or dawn that makes a difference you can easily see. Likely the main reason we see aperture growing in the pocket binoculars market over the last years. Size (and weight) increase of course too. The Leica Ultravid 8x20's look small next to the latest Zeiss and Swarovski 8x25mm pocket binoculars. 

#54 kcolter

kcolter

Messenger

• Loc: Missouri, USA

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

I was about to purchase a Pentax Papilo binocular. Now this thread has me intrigued with these new Zeiss pocket 8X25.  It's probably a silly question, but if I acquire one of these new Zeiss 8X25 pocket binoculars, should I abandon the plans to purchase a Papilo?   I guess the Papilo has the closer focus capability if I get more serious about butterflies.   I would be thinking more about a very light and small adjunct to hiking and backpacking. I've often wondered whether the backpacker who is mad keen on astronomy should go with a 10X50 monocular, or smaller aperture binos.  There are tradeoffs both ways, I suppose.   I bought a Zeiss 10X50 and a Zeiss 15X50 monocular on a German website about 15 years ago.  They each looked to be one barrel from Zeiss binos of those dimensions.   They don't take up as much room in the backpack.  They don't provide quite the satisfaction of a binocular, but under dark western national park skies I've been glad I had one along a time or three.   What am I going to like better, the Zeiss 8X25 pocket or the Papilo?  

#55 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:19 PM

........... What am I going to like better, the Zeiss 8X25 pocket or the Papilo?  

one  almost always like the more expensive optics better

For me, the question would be one of distance,

close in the papillio wins  but further out, the zeiss --- where that line is- probably about 1.9M

(Dennis on BirdForum made a statement that the optic modifications on the papillios that help for closeup views hurt with distance views)

then there is the issue of the higher quality zeiss costing 5X the papillio

edj

Edited by edwincjones, 05 August 2017 - 09:36 AM.

#56 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:24 PM

I compromised and ordered the zeiss terra ED 8x25s from Eagle Optics

edj

• Jerry Barnett likes this

#57 Jerry Barnett

Jerry Barnett

Explorer 1

• Loc: Everett, Washington

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:36 AM

Edj, I think you will be more than pleased with your binocular choice. 

#58 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:21 AM

At the price of the Papilios, anyone who enjoys close-up nature study should have one.  I'll never regret having one.   laugh.gif  

It's not about one bino or the other, IMO.  We're talking about two very different instruments.  For normal daytime use, I'm sure the Zeiss are better but the Papilios do something that no other bino does and at a very reasonable price point.   

Rich

#59 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:35 PM

I compromised and ordered the zeiss terra ED 8x25s from Eagle Optics

edj

Edj, I think you will be more than pleased with your binocular choice. 

I hope so-I have never had a pocket compact before;

but could easily become my most used binoculars.

edj

• Jerry Barnett likes this

#60 kcolter

kcolter

Messenger

• Loc: Missouri, USA

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for the wisdom, Rich, Ed, and Jerry. I would love to find a way to have a look through the two Zeiss options. I believe that the more expensive Zeiss pocket 8X25 offers a superior view. When I look up the field of view specs for both the Terra ED and the new Pocket 8X25 both list the same FOV. But, apparently the FOV feels more expansive in the new Zeiss (or I bungled the job when I looked up the specifications.) I certainly see the wisdom regarding the affordability of the Papilos for anyone who enjoys close up
nature study.

#61 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:53 PM

There is a post somewhere stating that pocket compacts are a let down after using 32mms.

Maybe right as I have never used  pocket binos.

If I like the TerraEDs I can  trade up in the future,

if not then less investment lost.

edj

#62 Nikon ED65

Nikon ED65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:40 PM

Sorry to Jump on an older thread but it seemed like the best place to get one of the specifications of each of the Zeiss 8X25 models. I was wanting to know the outside diameter of the front barrels. The Terras don't look symmetrical but the measurement at its thinnest point would be great. I was wanting to use them with a Zeiss field Microscope base but they only fit two sizes of their binoculars their older classic 8x20 and 10X25s. Im currently using a Leica Trinovid 10x25 with it but I find the ultra small focusing knob and eye relief to unsatisfactory for my purposes. If anyone could provide the measurements of the front barrels it would be greatly appreciated. Its not one of the specs they usually list. Many thanks

#63 vkx86

vkx86

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:52 PM

Sorry to Jump on an older thread but it seemed like the best place to get one of the specifications of each of the Zeiss 8X25 models. I was wanting to know the outside diameter of the front barrels. The Terras don't look symmetrical but the measurement at its thinnest point would be great. I was wanting to use them with a Zeiss field Microscope base but they only fit two sizes of their binoculars their older classic 8x20 and 10X25s. Im currently using a Leica Trinovid 10x25 with it but I find the ultra small focusing knob and eye relief to unsatisfactory for my purposes. If anyone could provide the measurements of the front barrels it would be greatly appreciated. Its not one of the specs they usually list. Many thanks

Outside diameter of front barrel is 34 mm.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics