•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tube and Dew Shield Dent Removal Tips

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#26 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:10 PM

I've been involved with cars and motorcycles for some time so understand what you guys are talking about in regards to metal work. I also have friends that do and or did bodywork and have done a little bit of it myself on my own vehicles. Nothing too complex mind you.  I know there are absolute geniuses that can work metal to perfection with no filler, but even the pros find themselves grinding/smoothing the high spots on repairs before using filler. Keep in mind that most automobile damage is usually a series of complex dents and creases on what many times is complex shaped surface. That said, most of the small dents in a telescope tube probably don't have too much stretching involved and an individual who takes their time can probably get some pretty good results without any special tools. Plus I have a hunch many will be happy just minimizing the damage. All of the repairs I've done so far on the telescope stuff will probably be completely invisible once I did a small amount of sanding before and after using body filler or some spot putty. 

I'm kind of joking but there's some truth in this take of a slogan I've heard, "Filler and Paint for what the Craftsman Ain't".

Lastly, as on a car, if it's something you can't handle, have someone who can do it. After all you might try fixing your VW Bug or a yard sale find Tasco 60mm yourself, but not your Porsche 911 or Unitron 152.

Edited by Kasmos, 19 March 2017 - 01:13 PM.

#27 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:58 PM

oh I dont know about the Unitron 152. Have fixed a few tubes. However, pipe expanders for a tube that size requires a bit of engineering.  You just stick some hardwood blocks around the pipe expander and ratchet away.  It does work and it goes quick.   

#28 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:42 PM

Just saying, generally if someone doesn't have any prior experience or is not handy or confident, they may not want to experiment on a valuable telescope.

And yes proper tools make any job easier and go better.

I'm sure a pipe expander works great, but since I was working on a $20 telescope's dew shield, a free scope's tube and dew shield, plus a spare tube... like a Youtube Hillbilly I just used what I had. smash.gif

Hopefully I won't need to do it again.  fingerscrossed.gif

#29 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:26 PM

I would say what you did was rather well done.  You found another way to get a dent out of a tube.  

#30 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Messenger

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

I like the ideal of enlarging the diameter of the tube expander with hardwood blocks.  You could have the  hardwood block under the dent push the dent up by making it a little higher than the rest of the hardwood blocks.  Also a metal collar around the outside of the tube while expanding the inside of the tube might be helpful.

#31 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

the hardwood block need to be rounded the same diameter as the tube otherwise they will create creases in the tube. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics