•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Accurate framing of an HEQ5 from the computer?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Stephanh

Stephanh

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

Once a telescope is aligned (2 or 3-star alignment)  and I have control of its movement towards a target within Stellarium,  how can I control from the laptop the fine framing if that object is a bit off in my field of view?

Is there a software I can install  to do this final and fine framing instead than using the hand control on the scope?

thanks

#2 leveye  Happy Birthday!

leveye

Gemini

• Loc: Central Oregon Coast

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:19 PM

I use PHD2 and the guide camera's image. Then after centering I just take a test shot and then rotate the camera in the focuser by hand if need be. Remember that for this to work the guide scope and the main scope must be aligned well.

• elmiko likes this

#3 DuncanM

DuncanM

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:19 PM

You would need to plate-solve the original field and then have the software use the location recorded by the plate-solve to to slew to the centre of the desired location.

There are lots of options for plate-solving but I'm only familiar with AstroArt6.

#4 Stephanh

Stephanh

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

You would need to plate-solve the original field and then have the software use the location recorded by the plate-solve to to slew to the centre of the desired location.

There are lots of options for plate-solving but I'm only familiar with AstroArt6.

I forgot to specify that I use a DSLR.

#5 leveye  Happy Birthday!

leveye

Gemini

• Loc: Central Oregon Coast

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

APT can plate solve.

#6 Stephanh

Stephanh

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:46 PM

APT can plate solve.

Not for Nikon cameras unfortunately.

#7 Kendahl

Kendahl

Viking 1

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:16 PM

How about photographing the target area repeatedly, moving the telescope between shots until the target is suitably framed? With my f/7.7 refractor, 10 seconds at ISO 6400 is enough to get a usable image. Your camera should have come with computer control software. Or, you could use another program such as Backyard Nikon.

#8 DuncanM

DuncanM

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

APT can plate solve.

Not for Nikon cameras unfortunately.

In AstroArt6 you would use Ascom to communicate between the mount and AA6. AA6 would read the directory where you download your DSLR images. It would then plate solve the image and tell the scope to sync itself on the image centre's location, then you would use the AA6 telescope interface to command the mount to goto the desired object and since this will be a very short slew, the goto should be accurate to a few arc seconds.

This can all be done automatically via a script and assisted further by AA5Observatory manager:

https://www.youtube....EQCyEHMKndDQucQ

AA6 will read Nikon NEFs but actual camera control would be a bit more complex. You would create a script where delays are built in to allow you take the image needed for the plate solve. However if your Nikon can be controlled by the DSUSB module then AA6 can control it directly.

Here's an example of AA6 and PHd2 being controlled by AA6 Observatory Manager:

https://www.youtube....h?v=zVp4hWoPh20

Edited by DuncanM, 15 March 2017 - 07:41 PM.

#9 baron555

baron555

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lockport, IL

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:35 PM

Try Astrotortilla
  • Wford likes this

#10 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:34 AM

AstroTortilla now suggests that their cygwin build is too old and you should use Andy Glasso's ANSVR's cygwin. 

see:  https://sourceforge....tilla/home/FAQ/  for the reference and the first entry on Installation.

To grab ANSVR see:  http://adgsoftware.com/ansvr/

To point AstroTortilla at the ANSVR cygwin change the Cygwin shell location to that described in:

http://forum.mainseq...-location/649/2

Using the above combination you'd align your mount and then goto a target. You then call up AstroTortilla to connect to your mount and camera (you need ASCOM and should probably use a Hub).  You then tell AstroTortilla to take an image and platesolve to find the RA & Dec where your scope is pointed.  Once the solution is back your mount will move to the intended RA & Dec of your initial goto.  The process can be repeated until you are within limits you can set.

I'm partial to Sequence Generator Pro and PlateSolve2 but it is $100. 

• JP50515 likes this

#11 jakob1234

jakob1234

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Denmark

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

I use Cartes du ciel as follows:

First i pol align, then i manually align with a star that i know well. Then, i check via camera control live view (On PC) that the star is dead on.

Then i fine focus (every time) and take one or two test shots of the foucs. Then i start up Cartes du ciel (which is used together with EQMOD (EQASCOM) and select the star i'm on. Then i tell Cartes to sync on that star (twice) so the camera frame digitally lines up in the program.

Then i choose my DSO, tell Cartes to "slew there" and when the mount stops, i take a iso 16000 test shot. Usually the scope is spot on, and if not - i can line it up very fine with EQMOD. I usually move the scope a teeeenie wee bit and take a new test shot.

When the motive is framed, i start up PHD2 and begin calibrating the guidescope, and when it finishes, and thus starts guiding - i start taking my subs. The first two subs i always scrutinize, if they're good then i go inside for coffee and check on the scope every 45min / hour.

Read everything here:

http://eq-mod.source...t/eqaindex.html

https://sourceforge....jects/skychart/

Edited by jakob1234, 16 March 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#12 Stephanh

Stephanh

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

Try Astrotortilla

I tried to install it but it requires Windows 64 bits.

#13 Stephanh

Stephanh

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:39 PM

I use Cartes du ciel as follows:

First i pol align, then i manually align with a star that i know well. Then, i check via camera control live view (On PC) that the star is dead on.

Then i fine focus (every time) and take one or two test shots of the foucs. Then i start up Cartes du ciel (which is used together with EQMOD (EQASCOM) and select the star i'm on. Then i tell Cartes to sync on that star (twice) so the camera frame digitally lines up in the program.

Then i choose my DSO, tell Cartes to "slew there" and when the mount stops, i take a iso 16000 test shot. Usually the scope is spot on, and if not - i can line it up very fine with EQMOD. I usually move the scope a teeeenie wee bit and take a new test shot.

When the motive is framed, i start up PHD2 and begin calibrating the guidescope, and when it finishes, and thus starts guiding - i start taking my subs. The first two subs i always scrutinize, if they're good then i go inside for coffee and check on the scope every 45min / hour.

Read everything here:

http://eq-mod.source...t/eqaindex.html

https://sourceforge....jects/skychart/

Thanks for all that info.   I did try Carte du Ciel but found that it running sluggishly on my laptop.  On the other hand, Stellarium runs really well, so I was hoping to find something that would plate solve but within the confine of Stellarium.

Edited by Stephanh, 16 March 2017 - 03:40 PM.

• jakob1234 likes this

#14 jakob1234

jakob1234

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Denmark

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:08 PM

I usually only use stellarium for choosing my targets, or to confirm that a target of interest gets high enough in my skies smile.gif

#15 geothomas

geothomas

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Huntsville, Alabama

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:17 PM

+1 on taking a short high ISO shots, then rotating/moving as necessary until you get the framing you like. Then start PHD2 guiding and you are off and running. 

#16 szg

szg

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

I am using Sequence Generator Pro (free trial is available, few others also out there). With a few clicks after my rig setup & polar align, I can go to bed. SGP can do the rest like slew to an object, accurate enough Plate Solve framing, interface with PHD2 for start/stop guiding and do multiple exposures with multiple ISO/exposure length setting.

After taken enough frames or an object fall off the good part of the sky, mount can automate slew to a new object. Framing, continue to capture and repeating to the others until dawn. (Please remember or note down to use Platesolve2 as SGP's partner for offline Plate Solver. Many people get lucky with it.)

There are some learning curve on this kind of software but after few session with it, another session will become more productivity.

• Aivar88 likes this

#17 Stephanh

Stephanh

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:14 PM

I am using Sequence Generator Pro (free trial is available, few others also out there). With a few clicks after my rig setup & polar align, I can go to bed. SGP can do the rest like slew to an object, accurate enough Plate Solve framing, interface with PHD2 for start/stop guiding and do multiple exposures with multiple ISO/exposure length setting.

After taken enough frames or an object fall off the good part of the sky, mount can automate slew to a new object. Framing, continue to capture and repeating to the others until dawn. (Please remember or note down to use Platesolve2 as SGP's partner for offline Plate Solver. Many people get lucky with it.)

There are some learning curve on this kind of software but after few session with it, another session will become more productivity.

Does Sequence Generator Pro work with a DSLR?

#18 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:25 PM

SGP works with Canon and Nikon. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics