•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M81 & M82 - testing the SEQUATOR

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pete_xl

Pete_xl

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:16 PM

Here is my first real life test withe the freeware "Sequator". It is very fast (5-10 x DSS) and did (at least in this try) do the stacking job much better than the DeepSkyStacker. For more info you might like to look here:

https://www.pentaxfo...l#gmessage76973

The DSS overall result was very bad compared with the Sequator result. But because the Sequator blew out the stars and the core of M81 I processed the Sequator image in Photoshop and merged in the DSS result with a star mask in the end to gain back the bright objects.

I shot M81 & M82 last nicht but there were thin high clouds that produced a lot of milky sky together with the light pollution here. Also the focus got lost during the session and I noticed it too late. So the red "starburst" near M82 is only very faint - I need better data!

Image was shot with a Pentax K3ii and the Pentax 1.4x Rear Converter HD on a TS 80/480 Triplet APO (31 x 300 s @ ISO 400].

http://33452525396_f5fbcc2120_c.jpgM81 & M82 by pete_xl, auf Flickr

full resolution: https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

Edited by Pete_xl, 17 March 2017 - 02:20 PM.

• Carol L, tjay, mikewayne3 and 2 others like this

#2 ewave

ewave

Surveyor 1

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:53 PM

Nice shot.  I find it amazing what an 80mm apo can deliver.

Thanks for sharing.

#3 mikewayne3

mikewayne3

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego CA

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

I'd call it a successful test waytogo.gif

#4 artem2

artem2

Vostok 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Austria (no kangaroos in Austria)

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:31 AM

I did also get to know "Sequator" today and did spend some time to stack some old images, and I like the "Sequator"waytogo.gif

Cheers

Martin

#5 Pete_xl

Pete_xl

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:59 PM

I contacted the creator of Sequator Yi-Ruei Wu in Taipei, Taiwan. Yi Ruei was so friendly to give me an advice concerning the burnt out stars. He suggested to disable "auto brightness" and use only "HDR" to hold the brighness down. Another possibility would be to choose "linear" color space at the end of the menu or a combination of the two. And you know what - it worked!

This is my first (cropped) Sequator-only astro image:

33360185762_1d509a4fe6_c.jpgM81 & M82 stacked with Sequator by pete_xl, auf Flickr

The sharpness and definition are way better than in DSS. M82 may be a bit oversharpened but that is my fault - **** happens...

I will gather more data in the next clear night to get better focus and capture the red starburst around M82. See what the small 80/480 refractor will deliver...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics