•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M97 – The Owl Nebula in Ursa Major

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:47 PM

Telescope: Meade 10” LX200 SCT (Wide Field) @ f/6.3, Orion Atlas EQ-G
Camera: Full-spectrum Modified Canon 600D (Rebel T3i)
Filter: Orion Imaging Skyglow Filter
Guide scope: Astro-Tech 60mm, Meade DSI Pro II, PHD
Exposure: 38x120sec, ISO 1600 saved as RAW (Dithered every 4 images)
Darks: Internal (Long Exposure Noise Reduction On)
Flat: 32x5sec, ISO 1600, LED tracing tablet, plus a synthetic flat
Average Light Pollution: Red zone, poor transparency, passing high clouds
Lensed Sky Quality Meter: 18.5 mag/arc-sec^2
White Balance: Nebulosity Automatic
Software: Backyard EOS, Deep Sky Stacker, Nebulosity, Photoshop

I was very surprised at how well this image turned out. After a very clear day, the evening turned cold with high relative humidity and a veil of high altitude haze flowing overhead. I lost about half of the source images to very poor sky conditions. One challenge of these conditions is that the source frames can be uneven; giving an odd gradient that cannot be corrected with a simple flat. To remove the residual gradient I used an old method of creating a synthetic flat. Briefly, you carefully delete the stars and object, filling them in with the nearby background, and then using a median filter to smooth things out, closely matching the average background gradient. Applying this as a flat usually evens everything out quite nicely.

This was the first test image taken with my ‘new’ 10” f/6.3 LX200. Since my first 10” f/6.3 (from LX200 GPS production) is configured specifically for imaging, I was planning one configuring this one for visual and electronic assisted astronomy, but I couldn’t resist at least giving it a test run with my DSLR on it, and I am delighted with how well it performed, particularly given the challenging conditions. If you look closely, you can see that the background is peppered with little background galaxies.

M97 (3-16-2017)-2j.jpg

• Doug Neal, mikewayne3, saguaro and 3 others like this

#2 petert913

petert913

Ranger 4

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

That's very nice.  I love the subtle red tinge around the blue planetary.   Your scope and gear did good !

#3 TeamHawkins

TeamHawkins

Ranger 4

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

Looks familiar! lol  Great job.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics