•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 2903 w/ long focus ACHRO

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jimegger

jimegger

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Palmer,Alaska

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:46 PM

We had another clear night - cold at 3 above so I put the 9.25 inch ACHRO to work with a modded Canon 6D at ISO 1600 and a Baader Contrast Booster filter for this image. There were 7 shots of 8 minutes each at f/12 (106.5 inches ) I guided manually as usual for me using a guide scope at high power with the standard double cross hair reticle. The whole scope system is hand built from the lens grinding to the mount which really tracks nicely using some Vexta stepper motors and a joystick for corrections. The objective is a BK7 crown with an F2 flint Clark style air spaced glass. 

The moon is waning so the sky was fairly dark and no sign of northern lights. I could have gone 10 minutes easily but since I let the camera do dark frame subtraction 8 minutes was used to save some time. By the time I was done shooting the temperature was at -3 F.

This is full frame.

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC 2903 stacked.jpg
  • IMG_2742#2.jpg

• starbob1, guyroch, mikewayne3 and 2 others like this

#2 aacc66

aacc66

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:28 PM

Nice image.  Round stars too.

When you say 9.25 achro.  Do you mean 9.25" diameter?  That is a big telescope.  How much it weights.  Can you lift it by yourself to the mount? or do you need help.

Alvaro

#3 jimegger

jimegger

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Palmer,Alaska

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:34 PM

The scope is 9.25 inches diameter and weighs 49 lbs. It is left on its mount but I can lift it to the cradle easily by myself and I am 65 years old. One just needs a technique and to be careful !

• MalVeauX likes this

#4 aacc66

aacc66

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:21 PM

That is still a big telescope.  My SCT is a 9.25" but only weights about 21 to 22 pounds with the focuser.  I do have to move in and out  if I am skipping several days between sessions and between weekends.  I will not feel safe leaving the setup during the day in a work day.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics