•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GOTO - A Classic Maker Returns?

classic equipment
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:02 AM

Has the Nikon challenger Goto Kogaku returned to scope making?

Their website has a 2013 copyright date --> http://gototelesco.co.jp

And, a 2017 link for their Mark X mount --> http://gototelesco.c.../md_for_mx.html

And, a pamphlet for the GTL125/1200 APO --> http://gototelesco.c...0APOcatalog.pdf

Here's a factoid about the company:  On May 21, 2004, the official English name of the company was changed from Goto Optical Mfg. Co. to Goto Inc.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 19 March 2017 - 09:05 AM.

• Fhuyu likes this

#2 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:11 AM

This ad started the discussion --> http://www.apm-teles...-doublet-ed-apo

The scope is described as New and in the original packaging.  But, is it New Old Stock, or New In Production?

#3 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

good thing I did that research for youlol.gif

• Jim Curry, Fhuyu, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#4 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:53 AM

I think the apos look a lot like the modern Japanese Vixens. Could they be sourced from the same maker? I am always a bit suspect when companies 're-establish' themselves in the modern market place. That can mean different things. Just thoughts here.

• Bomber Bob and GreyDay like this

#5 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

The 125mm Goto apo is the real deal and it is a recent product and not old stock. It was also only made in a limited anniversary run that was sold out almost instantly. Very, very few samples made it outside Japan, which is why the one on the APM website carries a hefty price tag. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Fhuyu, Bomber Bob and G.Richard like this

#6 GreyDay

GreyDay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

The 125mm Goto apo is the real deal and it is a recent product and not old stock. It was also only made in a limited anniversary run that was sold out almost instantly. Very, very few samples made it outside Japan, which is why the one on the APM website carries a hefty price tag. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Hefty isn't the word, the original purchase price would have been 4,950 euros. At a price of 7,890 there's a tidy profit. But as we all know, exclusivity has its cost.

#7 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

Kind of what I figured.  When I did the research I realized that the chances of buying one from GOTO was slim. Looked like they even make a DX8 look alike

#8 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:06 AM

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

So... is Goto Inc. gonna make / market any more scopes?   Since the GTL-125 sold out, that should encourage them!

#9 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:15 AM

You need to ask GOTO that question

#10 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:16 AM

I've tried sending emails to these companies.  Actually, APM might be more responsive -- if they know.

#11 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

So... is Goto Inc. gonna make / market any more scopes?   Since the GTL-125 sold out, that should encourage them!

I have no idea. It seems like so far that they do limited runs only. Perhaps the company is only a small handful of people, who does amateur scopes more as a hobby, while their main income is from other things, such as government contract work or the like?

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

#12 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

But it doesn't make business sense in today's economy for a company that has gotten out of telescope making for 30 years to get back in for a limited run. Think about it, factory and optical shop closed, workers long ago dead, retired, layed off, etc. the whole operation shut down; and then start back up to make a limited run? How does that make sense or money? Goto was heavily invested in planetarium projectors. That has been their mainstay for decades. The new projectors are all digital/laser based. They are not the old optical lens, lights, analog projectors of old; an entirely different technology, knowledge base, skill set, tooling, etc. is required to make them- nothing really that is going to spin back to making telescopes. So you can't just go to the plant and say, "guys, I want you to design and manufacture a modern apo refractor for a limited run we want to do as a promotion." That is not going to happen! Zip, Nada, No way! Unless they are getting back in whole-hog for the long run, what are they going to do? They are going to put it out for bid! And that has to be what happened. Somebody, like Vixen if not Vixen, Takahashi, or whoever, and there aren't many left in Japan, but somebody else had to make them for them. The cottage industries and assemblers of the 1950s and 60s no-longer exist! 

#13 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

so whats your point Terralol.gif

#14 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

My point is that I don't think we are going to see the Goto Kogaku of old, rising like a Phoenix from the ashes. ;)

#15 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:55 AM

I do not think you are going to see anything these days rising out of the ashes anytime soon.    Every company that has stayed alive or has been reborn does so with state of the art equipment. That is the only way they would stay alive these days.  Only collectors are looking for stuff of old or copies there of and most of them want the real things from 60 years ago or more. 

• Terra Nova likes this

#16 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

Yes, and to make new, state of the art things requires considerable financial investment and longterm commitment. 

#17 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:24 PM

According to one site, Goto's main location has about 150 employees, and their company description is "optical equipment and lens fabrication" -- which sounds promising (assuming it's accurate).

Goto had international sales of $25 million in 2014.  They also have 2 other facilities in Japan, though much smaller.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 19 March 2017 - 12:45 PM.

• Fhuyu and Terra Nova like this

#18 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:39 PM

Maybe they are branching back in! That would be good news for amateurs. There aren't many makers left in Japan. I am sure they would be very high end products. I have forgotten, is Carton gone now? I thought they were? :question:

#19 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:46 PM

I bet Sheldon would know about Carton.

#20 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

Sorry. I am in my dotage! Sheldon told me a week ago that Carton went out of business and that Apogee bought most of the remaining stock.

#21 GreyDay

GreyDay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:24 PM

http://www.carton-op...sh/company.html

#22 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:35 PM

I quote directly, Sheldon's own words, from a personal conversation we had slightly over a week ago:

"When Carton was going out of business Apogee purchased their remaining inventory, which was quite a bit. There were parts and pieces from some U.S. Companies: TeleVue, Celestron, Edmund & Swift. There might have been more but I don't remember. I do know that Roland from AP purchased some items from them too because I purchased some of them around 30 years ago."

With regard to the Carton website link above, they are no longer in the business of making telescopes, but do continue to make microscopes (check their catalog at the website). Moreover, they have moved their manufacturing facilities to Thailand.

Edited by terraclarke, 19 March 2017 - 01:41 PM.

• GreyDay likes this

#23 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

http://r2.astro-fore...achtung-perfekt

here are a lot of facts on this telescope.   More facts then I have seen on a lot of telescopes.

#24 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:59 PM

https://www.cloudyni...-jupiter/page-2

look like this scope has been tlaked about before.  This CL thread about Tak scopes included talks about the GOTO telescope back in June of 2016.

#25 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:07 AM

I have been spending quite a bit of time on a Japanese site called Ascending Point (using Chrome browser).  It apparently is a generic blog site that Goto Telescope, Inc. has chosen as it's host.  There are eleven pages of blogs going back to 2012.  Overall about 230 posts. 

https://blog.goo.ne....?page=1&c=&st=0

The posts cover the focus of Goto Telescope's manufacturing efforts for the last seven years.  Quite surprisingly one of the main interests is in upgrading the existing Mark-X EQ mounts from the late 70's and 80's.  Demand was quite strong and a number of diverse parts were developed and sold to meet imaging tracking requirements and increase flexibility to mount different OTAs.  Included was a very nice dual axis motor drive set that sold out two limited runs to existing owners.  The blogs also announced and went into some detail on the 10cm f/10 APO and the 12.5cm f/9.6 ED telescope development and marketing, plus a number of observational reviews.  Other products are discussed, and new postings by Mitsuyoshi Kodama over on the Domenavi Goto site are announced.

Of current interest to all is the development and release later this Summer of a new harmonic EQ drive - Goto MX-HD.  No pricing yet, but certainly shows the company is moving forward.  

No information about a new OTA anytime soon.

I am intrigued by the Mark-X and the possibility of upgraded versions out there.  Will have to watch the Japanese auction sites a little more closely.

Edited by Stew44, 06 May 2019 - 09:14 AM.

• Deven Matlick, Bomber Bob and Esso2112 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics