•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GOTO - A Classic Maker Returns?

classic equipment
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 ludcam

ludcam

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 April 2020 - 11:58 AM

Goto 125ED_v2.jpg

Hi All,

I just came on this old post and I'm sorry to be so late to the party.  I can at least verify that the Goto GTL125 uses their lens.

I have the original version of this scope and have tried to attach a pic.

I think there are some other posts about it here.

Anyway, I got in touch with Goto in japan and they told me the GTL and this older scope uses the same lens, hence the limited run.

My cell actually looks identical to the newer, sold out GTL for what its worth.

I couldn't be sure if they meant that they used the same formula, glass etc. or just that they literally had a small number of the lenses left over.

Goto did tell me that they have no intention of releasing any more of these.

Its a nice scope.  There was some other review on line here that was more "meh", but in a head to head with a 2 lens Tak 125, this held its own.  One issue is that the massively heavy steel tube and hardware takes a very long time to acclimate compared to modern stuff and needs a heavier mount.  The EM100 you see it on just makes it.  EM-11s, GM8s etc. would not work.

I only do visual observation, so I can't comment on color correction outside that range.  Probably not sufficient for modern CCD.

Of course we can endlessly debate about "value" vs. e.g. a much less costly ES triplet.  But that is probably not really the point for a collectible scope.

But I can at least affirm that both the older and newer versions are Goto designs are the real thing, i.e. not some OEM vixen, or other such as speculated above.

Goto does seem to be selling some non-goto made stuff these days, but not refractors like this.

Thanks all

• Deven Matlick, steve t, Don Taylor and 5 others like this

#27 X3782

X3782

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: ---

Posted 02 January 2021 - 02:04 AM

But it doesn't make business sense in today's economy for a company that has gotten out of telescope making for 30 years to get back in for a limited run. Think about it, factory and optical shop closed, workers long ago dead, retired, layed off, etc. the whole operation shut down; and then start back up to make a limited run? How does that make sense or money? Goto was heavily invested in planetarium projectors. That has been their mainstay for decades. The new projectors are all digital/laser based. They are not the old optical lens, lights, analog projectors of old; an entirely different technology, knowledge base, skill set, tooling, etc. is required to make them- nothing really that is going to spin back to making telescopes. So you can't just go to the plant and say, "guys, I want you to design and manufacture a modern apo refractor for a limited run we want to do as a promotion." That is not going to happen! Zip, Nada, No way! Unless they are getting back in whole-hog for the long run, what are they going to do? They are going to put it out for bid! And that has to be what happened. Somebody, like Vixen if not Vixen, Takahashi, or whoever, and there aren't many left in Japan, but somebody else had to make them for them. The cottage industries and assemblers of the 1950s and 60s no-longer exist! 

They've been continuously in the large professional telescope for observatories business without interruption, being still one of the biggest domestic suppliers. They still grind and polish their own lenses, see video below (around the 46 second mark) which shows their in-house lens-making facilities. After all planetarium optics (which they have one of the biggest shares) are large aperture short focal length and far more intricate and challenging to build than small telescopes. The only market they left was the amateur telescope field. Their spinout new small subsidary "Goto Telescopes Co." had two commemorative runs of a 4 inch and a 5 inch offered a few years ago.

https://www.goto.co.jp/english/about/

You're right, the rings and dovetail are Vixen, the focuser is Taiwanese. The other parts including the optics are Goto.

• Stew44 likes this

#28 RichA

RichA

Skylab

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 02 January 2021 - 03:58 AM

They've been continuously in the large professional telescope for observatories business without interruption, being still one of the biggest domestic suppliers. They still grind and polish their own lenses, see video below (around the 46 second mark) which shows their in-house lens-making facilities. After all planetarium optics (which they have one of the biggest shares) are large aperture short focal length and far more intricate and challenging to build than small telescopes. The only market they left was the amateur telescope field. Their spinout new small subsidary "Goto Telescopes Co." had two commemorative runs of a 4 inch and a 5 inch offered a few years ago.

https://www.goto.co.jp/english/about/

You're right, the rings and dovetail are Vixen, the focuser is Taiwanese. The other parts including the optics are Goto.

This, from the brochure was interesting:

In addition, polishing by Goto Optical Laboratory uses an Oscar type grinder and pitch, and by polishing at low speed for a long time, a very smooth surface can be obtained, and you can enjoy a sharp but gradational appearance.

• Bowlerhat likes this

#29 flywing1

flywing1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 October 2021 - 06:50 PM

Main/Current product of Goto is the MD-HX GEM mount (harmonic Drive), can carry up to 7.5KG, $6300!

http://gototelesco.co.jp/mxhd.html

They just announced a new version MD-HX+  with a loading weight of 50KG, might be for sale in 2021 winter.

https://reflexions.j...12596/#5NOW2021

• Bomber Bob likes this

#30 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 11 October 2021 - 07:15 AM

The first drive was likely made and paired with a Goto marketed but not made, smaller (90mm?) APO for Tokyo residents to easily transport their telescopes by public transportation out of the city to dark skies for viewing according to those I've chatted with.

With $6300 for the small one, it will be fun to see what they want for the larger one.  The South Korean competition has quite an edge.

Harmonic drives are interesting, but weak link is the the remainder of the hardware coupled to it to make it a mount. 

Edited by Stew44, 11 October 2021 - 08:38 AM.

• flywing1 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics