•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter – 3/17/2017 5h20m UT, Wide Field

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

Telescope: Meade 10” LX200 SCT (Wide Field) @ f/6.3, Orion Atlas EQ-G
Camera: Full-spectrum Modified Canon 600D (Rebel T3i)
Filter: Orion Imaging Skyglow Filter
Exposure: 4500x1/500sec, ISO 1600 saved as AVI (BYEOS 5x Movie Mode)
White Balance: Photoshop Automatic
Software: Backyard EOS, Registax, Nebulosity, Photoshop

Just for yucks I grabbed a short AVI of Jupiter using the BYEOS 5x movie mode, stacking the best 4500 images from the original 5000 images. The image scale is a tad small, but not bad. This does a fairly good job showing what Jupiter looks like through a modest telescope. The Great Red Spot can be clearly seen, and the moons include (from left to right) Ganymede, Io, and Europa. Callisto is out of the field to the left.

Jupiter (3-17-2017)-3j.jpg

• Traveler, guyroch, George Simon and 5 others like this

#2 petert913

petert913

Viking 1

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:01 AM

I love those wider field shots of Jupiter and Saturn.  Well done. 

#3 SWAObserver

SWAObserver

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

I was out last night/this-morning (till 0330) and spent quite a bit of time on Jupiter myself. Visually, I saw (using ES AR-152) that same image. Well, with about 1/3 the contrast and a lot smaller, of course. I've been very impressed lately with the brilliant red color of the GRS. It really stands out at about 112x (using Televue 9mm Nagler & ES 82° 6.7mm). This is from my backyard with quite a bit of sky glow from Dallas to the South, right underneath it.

I couldn't quite make out the detail to the left of the GRS in my eyepiece and I can see from your pic (if it was taken last night) there appears to be three "white spot" storms brewing there. When I came in I was wondering if there was a website that posted current pics of Jupiter - perfect timing!

Very nice pics!

John

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics