•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO ASI071MC-Cool Color Issues

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 tjones84

tjones84

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: St. Catharines, Ontario

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:10 PM

Is Deep Sky Stacker:

You can raise or lower the adjustments for the individual channels so when stacked all 3 end up in the same place. Something like this:

attachicon.gifDSS-Color.jpg

Or after stacking you can move the sliders to get all 3 color channels aligned.

Misalligned colors with a green cast.

attachicon.gifDSS-Stacked.jpg

Color channels aligned and green cast is gone.

attachicon.gifDSS-Aligned_Color.jpg

Pauls72 - I will try this!!  Thanks for posting:)  Thanks you all for the help. Very enlightening topic.

#27 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:31 PM

I recieved my ZWO ASI071MC on Thursday and I am well on my way up the learning curve. I spent much of the last two days bench testing the camera and buiding my darks library. The weather last night was horrible, but I managed first-schmoose by kina sorta imaging Jupiter and Arcturus through a fairly heavy overcast. I might get a shot at first-starlight tonight. Colorwise what I am seeing is very similar to a full-spetrum modified DSLR; very high red sensitivity and since I am red/green color blind it looks very green to me. For me, the fix has two parts. First, I will always use a filter that cuts the IR at about 690-700nm; this can either be an imaging light pollution filter or a standard IR cut filter. This should give plenty of red response for your deepsky images, but block the IR where the green and blue sensors start to show response to the IR. I use the light pollution filter for most of my imaging and the IR cut filter for photometry. Second, I'll use the automatic color balance functions in Deepsky Stacker and Nebulosity. The function in DSS works fairly well, and the function in Nebulosity works great! The test images that I took yesterday showed good results, and hopefully I'll get some real test images this evening.

One step ata time...

• Jon Rista and lylver like this

#28 Ron in Michigan

Ron in Michigan

Ranger 4

• ****-
  • Loc: W. Michigan

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:37 AM

I had the same camera. I had similar problems. And I'm a retired 35 year studio photographer/owner.  The debayer never seemed to work right. I tried 2-3 free apps. It kinda did but not really.

After sending the camera back I brought pixinsight and well that debayered my old files perfectly. I might have kept it if I had that before sending it back.  But it also FROZE up on me all the time. The sensor window would freeze and the heater would thaw a grid pattern. LUCKILY - ZWO took it back and allowed me to swap for the 1600MM c.

YES a lot more work processing to get color, but worth it.  Using a color camera you really can't do  S H O filters properly.  So mono is the way to go. 

#29 scopenitout

scopenitout

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mt. Belzoni

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:48 PM

I'm certainly no fanboy for ZWO products. However, based mostly on the excellent results and favourable comments of John Graham, I jumped in and bought the ASI071.

Certainly not as a substitute for my CCD cameras, but rather as a DSLR replacement. I've mostly used it so far on comets and bright DSO's, where it's proved itself admirably on image quality and operational reliability.

None of the problems stated in this thread have affected my particular camera. It's operated flawlessly, thanks in no small part to tips John Graham gave me early on. Or... maybe I just "lucked out"??

I have no doubt the QC at ZWO is hit and miss. Several friends have returned failed ZWO cameras and accessories. ZWO really needs to fix that part of their business.

Currently, I'm looking at how the Monochrome Full Frame CMOS market develops. For what a reliable camera is likely going to cost, I sure won't be taking any chances with a poor quality manufacturer.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics