•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questions on using SGP with a Canon 5DII

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DaveB

DaveB

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New England

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

MISTAKE IN THE SUBJECT LINE: The camera is a 5D Mark III...

I would like to take time-lapsed images with my Canon 5DIII. I used to take astro images with a 20D, but that camera no longer works, and I've been using CCD cameras for a number of years now. So, I have a few basic questions:

• Can I get away with using just a USB cable to take images with the 5DIII from SGP (or any other application)? Back when I used a 20D (with Nebulosity at the time), I think that I needed a special cable to actually take the images, while the USB cable was just for downloading the images. 
  • Is ISO 1600 a good setting? I'll be using a zoom lens at 24mm which has a max aperture opening of f/4.0. I'll experiment, but my starting guess is ISO 1600, f/4.0, 30 second shutter, sRAW.
  • Should I enable mirror lockup? If yes, does it lock/unlock on every image?
  • Anything else that I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by DaveB, 20 March 2017 - 02:19 PM.

#2 DaveB

DaveB

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New England

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:36 PM

Apologies, I posted too quickly - I answered some of my own questions, but have some others:

• It seems to work fine with just a USB cable, i.e. I can take a sequence of images and download them from SGP.
  • It appears to only work in Bulb mode (which is fine). I keep getting an error message when I set it to Manual mode.

My new questions:

• Is it possible to skip downloading the images to my computer, and just store them on the CF card on the camera?
  • If yes, how is there a way to set adjust the image size? I'd rather not use full-size RAW images, although admittedly I probably do have enough storage on the CF card to meet my needs.
  • If not, SGP stores the images as FITS files. Can these easily be processed into time-lapse images? What software would do this?

Thanks again,

Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics