•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questions on using SGP with a Canon 5DII

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DaveB

DaveB

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New England

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

MISTAKE IN THE SUBJECT LINE: The camera is a 5D Mark III...

I would like to take time-lapsed images with my Canon 5DIII. I used to take astro images with a 20D, but that camera no longer works, and I've been using CCD cameras for a number of years now. So, I have a few basic questions:

• Can I get away with using just a USB cable to take images with the 5DIII from SGP (or any other application)? Back when I used a 20D (with Nebulosity at the time), I think that I needed a special cable to actually take the images, while the USB cable was just for downloading the images. 
  • Is ISO 1600 a good setting? I'll be using a zoom lens at 24mm which has a max aperture opening of f/4.0. I'll experiment, but my starting guess is ISO 1600, f/4.0, 30 second shutter, sRAW.
  • Should I enable mirror lockup? If yes, does it lock/unlock on every image?
  • Anything else that I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by DaveB, 20 March 2017 - 02:19 PM.

#2 DaveB

DaveB

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New England

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:36 PM

Apologies, I posted too quickly - I answered some of my own questions, but have some others:

• It seems to work fine with just a USB cable, i.e. I can take a sequence of images and download them from SGP.
  • It appears to only work in Bulb mode (which is fine). I keep getting an error message when I set it to Manual mode.

My new questions:

• Is it possible to skip downloading the images to my computer, and just store them on the CF card on the camera?
  • If yes, how is there a way to set adjust the image size? I'd rather not use full-size RAW images, although admittedly I probably do have enough storage on the CF card to meet my needs.
  • If not, SGP stores the images as FITS files. Can these easily be processed into time-lapse images? What software would do this?

Thanks again,

Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics