•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GPS position & altitude parameter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 marcellino4

marcellino4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:21 PM

Hello everybody,

I´m relativly new at this forum, but I read it daily and learn t much from all of you folks. Yes at first, my english is not so good as could be. And this is problem when I want to find some solutions or ideas with use of NexStar.

I have NexStar 6SE for approximately half a year. And yes I´m feel satisfied and confidence with it. But for few last weeks I have one question in my head. If I set up GPS position, why there isnt necessary to set up altitude?

I´ve got this question, because I try to use satellite tracker and in this program is necessary to corect set this parameter. It help to find sattelite much faster. But I cant imagine how better it could be, if is there any setup in NexStar mount? I can imagine that it shouldnt very affect slow motion object on sky, but what in cas of asteroids etc.?

Thanks for any idea folks

have a nic day and clear sky :)

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:40 PM

In the NexStar firmware the GPS information is not used to create the sky map and does not have an effect on the accuracy of the gotos to deep space objects (DSOs). The GPS information is used to calculate the position of solar system objects and therefore does affect the goto to those objects ... this is because those objects are in constant motion against the fixed positions of the DSOs.

GPS data is also used to help point to the initial alignment stars but the accuracy of the initial alignment is determined by choosing good stars (well separated), accurately centering them, and the reducing the effects of backlash in the gears (using the up/right final motions, etc.).

So having the altitude data won't have any effect on the accuracy of gotos to DSOs.

Oh and welcome to the forum, your English is just fine.

#3 marcellino4

marcellino4

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:47 PM

Thank you very much for your answer. Now its more clear for me, how its work :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics