•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I am looking for a camera that I can use both with and without a lens.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:41 PM

Hiya folks!

I am trying to find a camera that I can use for three purposes. One is for EAA specifically for bright objects like the moon, Jupiter, Saturn etc.  The second purpose is for star collimation using Metaguide. Both of those purposes use the telescope as the lens as you of course know.

The third purpose is for centering optics in Newts and SCT's where it is required that you not only have a lens on the camera so it comes to focus but that the lens and 1.25" barrel be perfectly centered and squared with that sensor.

There are a few DIY cut-it-apart and glue-it-together projects out there on the internet but I have never had the best luck getting the 1.25" barrel perfectly centered and square AND if I want to use it for planets I have to unglue it all and remove the lens.

So what I would love to find is a camera where perhaps the outside diameter of the camera itself is 1.25" so I could just slide the whole camera in the eyepiece socket and if I want to use it to align optics I can screw the lens back on so it comes to focus inside the tube.

I would get a camera like the 120 or 224 or even spend the money on the 174 if I knew how to add a non-fish eye lens to it but I can't figure out how to do that.

Hopefully one of you folks has a good idea for me.

Thank you.

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

Any C or CS-mount lens will mount on those smaller format cameras and there are adapters available to convert a T-mount camera to the smaller C-mount.

I don't know what specific type of lens (what focal length) would be appropriate but there are lenses available in C-mount from 2mm to 200mm (or more). In the smaller focal lengths many of them are available in diameters as small as 1.25" so they'd actually fit within a 1.25" barrel attachment.

The smaller ToupTek cameras have bodies that are 1.25" in diameter (at least half of the camera body). So you could get a mono version (say with a imx 290 mono sensor) or a color version (imx224 or 290 color) and short focal length lens that would fit within a 1.25" barrel.

Edited by mclewis1, 20 March 2017 - 07:42 PM.

#3 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

Any C or CS-mount lens will mount on those smaller format cameras and there are adapters available to convert a T-mount camera to the smaller C-mount.

I don't know what specific type of lens (what focal length) would be appropriate but there are lenses available in C-mount from 2mm to 200mm (or more). In the smaller focal lengths many of them are available in diameters as small as 1.25" so they'd actually fit within a 1.25" barrel attachment.

The smaller ToupTech cameras have bodies that are 1.25" in diameter (at least half of the camera body). So you could get a mono version (say with a imx 290 mono sensor) or a color version (imx224 or 290 color) and short focal length lens that would fit within a 1.25" barrel.

Hi Mark,

Ok I did some searching and found this: https://www.m12lense...s-p/pt-1612.htm

I am sending them a message to ask what the OD of the barrel is.  Hopefully they tell me it is 1.25" or 31.75mm smile.gif

You mentioned the focal length.  What do you suggest if I want to be able to peer into an optical tube?  I would think the faster the better but I am really not sure.

I am kind of leaning towards a 174 chip in mono. I had a 224 for a while and I regret selling it.

Edited by Whichwayisnorth, 20 March 2017 - 07:14 PM.

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:48 PM

The cameras are all pretty sensitive so I don't think you'll have to worry about the speed of the lens ... but in the shorter focal lengths the f ratios tend to be very fast (usually less than f3). 

I don't know what focal length would be appropriate. I've heard about this capability (using a lens on a camera) for setting up a scope and doing collimation but I've never done it myself or know anyone who has.

I did notice that Altair Astro does talk about his capability with one of their wide field lenses (a 2.1mm) ... https://www.altairas...-LENS-ONLY.html

#5 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:33 PM

Cool deal.  I just bought a camera and lens.  Thanks Mark!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics