•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Losmandy G11 and RA extension... weight of head components...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 willykros

willykros

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:16 PM

Lots of interesting developments with the new Losmandy mounts.

I'm still considering the classic stepper-driven G11, but with tucked in motors.  In a phone call with Losmandy today they mentioned that the tucked in motors will be standard on the G11 going forward, BUT the RA extension supplied will be a solid piece WITHOUT the ability to split the mount head into 2 pieces.  You can still put in, at additional cost, the RA extension kit with the ability to split the head into 2 components.

The weight of the G11 head concerns me.  I'll handle a 35 lb tripod because I don't have to really lift it and fit it in place, but with a quoted weight of 33 lbs for the G11 head I have concerns.  I'm curious, for those who use the RA extension, what does the weight breakdown into the component 2 pieces work out to?

Thanks...

... Bill

• B 26354 likes this

#2 JoeR

JoeR

Vanguard

• Loc: Columbus, OH

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

My G11 mount with the RA extension and counterweight bar attached is 46 lbs. When detached the Dec axis is a bit heavier than the RA axis. without the counterweight bar attached they're both relatively light, to me at least. They each feel the same as the 21 lb counterweight.

• tazer and B 26354 like this

#3 Rick Socarras

Rick Socarras

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:41 PM

Bill,

I don't have the exact numbers for the weight...I think Losmandy publishes that somewhere on the website but I believe the weight is split very close to the middle.  I will say this...I think the RA extension is the ONE thing I would hate to be without!  Not because it goes past the meridian but because it make the mount VERY manageable.  I'm in S. Florida and I have a need to bring in my mount.  What can I say...It's a big city.  Anyway, I went to Home Depot and purchased two large canvas tool bags and I fit the head sections perfectly into those two bags.  Really works well for me.  In fact, I have a GM8 also and I prefer the G11 now because I can break it down into more manageable sections.  If no one chimes in on the exact weight I will bring in my work scale and measure for you.

Knowing what I know I would not recommend to anyone a G11 WITHOUT that RA extension kit! 

Rick

• B 26354 likes this

#4 baron555

baron555

Apollo

• Loc: Lockport, IL

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:10 PM

It's about 50-50, without CW bar attached.

#5 willykros

willykros

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:41 PM

Thanks for the responses folks.  I scoured the Losmandy website but couldn't find any references.

Personally at this point in time tossing between the GM8 and G11.

I do like the G11.  Is it a "better" mount than the GM8?  As with everything, I imagine it depends on your needs and pocketbook.  The G11 does have a larger capacity and while I may never push it (intention at this point is to defork my classic C8 and someday also pick up a 4" refractor or so for AP) I've been in the hobby long enough to understand and appreciate what a solid mount delivers.

I appreciate solid enough that if I go the route of the GM8 I was considering the HD tripod.  This is to be a portable setup, but NOT a grab and go setup that I carry outside to the yard as one piece.  I figure if I'm going to be transporting the bulk of a HD tripod then why not use the G11 head.  The only personal drawback to the head was the weight of the head as a single entity, but with the G11 being able to be broken down into 2 components of fairly equal mass, then I am very interested.

• B 26354 likes this

#6 gundark

gundark

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:41 AM

You might find the upcoming GM811 very interesting. It has an weight capacity of 50 lbs vs 30 for the GM8 yet is not as big or heavy as the G11. Here's the link to Losmandy's Facebook post about it:

https://www.facebook...805195529506235

and the thread in this forum discussing it and the new G11T:

https://www.cloudyni...11t-g8t-mounts/

Edited by gundark, 21 March 2017 - 12:42 AM.

• Stelios and NMBob like this

#7 B 26354

B 26354

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:39 AM

Lots of interesting developments with the new Losmandy mounts.

I'm still considering the classic stepper-driven G11, but with tucked in motors.  In a phone call with Losmandy today they mentioned that the tucked in motors will be standard on the G11 going forward, BUT the RA extension supplied will be a solid piece WITHOUT the ability to split the mount head into 2 pieces.  You can still put in, at additional cost, the RA extension kit with the ability to split the head into 2 components.

....intention at this point is to defork my classic C8 and someday also pick up a 4" refractor or so for AP) I've been in the hobby long enough to understand and appreciate what a solid mount delivers.

....with the G11 being able to be broken down into 2 components of fairly equal mass, then I am very interested.

My intentions as well... and my same conclusions.

The motors on my forty-year-old C8 died a long time ago, but the OTA is in beautiful condition. And my three-month-old ES 102CF APO, when it's fully-loaded, is at the limit of what my small iOptron SmartEQ Pro will handle.

I'm hoping to get the new classic stepper-driven G-11 with tucked-in motors and split-head capability, by this coming fall... and I'm really looking forward to being able to use each of the scopes on it.

#8 Losmandy

Losmandy

Vendor - Losmandy

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:09 AM

Hello

The weight of each axis is:

G11-T RA axis with tucked in motor    44 lbs

G11    RA axis with tucked in motor     20 lbs

G11    DEC axis with tucked in motor  18 lbs

GM8   RA axis with tucked in motor    13 lbs

GM8   DEC axis with tucked in motor   9 lbs

All weights are with out weight shaft. weight shaft is 5 lbs

Thank you,

Scott

• Stelios, sparrowhawk, djhanson and 1 other like this

#9 willykros

willykros

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:31 PM

Scott, thanks for the detailed weights.  Much appreciated.

With the ability to split the G11 mount head into RA and DEC axis components, I see that each component is less than the combined weight of the GM8 head (13+9).  Which makes the ability to easily split the G11 head a really nice feature for transporting and setting up the mount.

Now you quote the GM8 head as the component weight of the RA axis (13 lbs) and DEC axis (9 lbs).  And that pretty well matches the published mount head weight of 21 lbs.  The question is; IS the GM8 setup to be as convenient to split apart as the G11 when using the RA Extension kit (RAEXK)?   I get the impression that while the mount can be taken apart to service, it is not really set up to be split for transport like the G11 with RA Extension kit.   Am I right or wrong?

Also, for the new G811.  What is the weight of the mount head without shaft?  Also, can the new G811 be set up to split like the G11 with the RA Extension kit?

Thanks...

... Bill

#10 willykros

willykros

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:40 PM

That G811 reference slightly misquoted, that would be the GM811.

#11 Billydee

Billydee

Apollo

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

This should answer the questions about GM-8 and GM-11.  Copied from a Simon2940 Post.

https://youtu.be/LfFvn9KTSgU

Bill

• nemo129 likes this

#12 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:14 AM

Thanks for the link to the video, I had not seen it yet. I was pleasantly surprised by the new developments with Losmandy mounts and have been a fan since I purchased a G11 Gemini 2 back in 2012. It is always nice to have more choices! waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics