•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Prodome modifications to wheels

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dan Magni

Dan Magni

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:35 PM

I got a great deal on a 10' Prodome that was well used and also unused for the past few years. When buying it the dome rotated OK manually, none of the motors were connected so could not try them. Now that I have it set up and used it for over a year manually I have determined that 30% of the wheels do not actually touch the dome ring. I suspect that the original owner miss-drilled some of the wheel mounting holes, a 32nd of an inch will cause no contact with the wheel. I believe this may be contributing to problems using the drive motors to rotate the dome (it binds at certain locations). My question is has anyone ever tried modifying a Prodome to attach the wheels to the dome itself which would ensure contact? I understand the ramifications relative to also modifying the base ring (or building a new one from some other material) and requiring some form of alternative capture system to ensure the dome does not blow away. Anyone with any experience with this or a mechanical or structural engineer interested in a small side project?

Dan

#2 P26

P26

Vendor - Peterson Engineering

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: RI, USA

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

Hi Dan,

My home dome was dragging at the observatory I bought it from.  In it's current life at Wishing Star Observatory, modification included cutting down the height of the base ring:

17.jpg

.... and installing slightly larger diameter roller wheels.  The dome was dragging in areas because the original support wheels were sagging just a bit - or perhaps were a bit undersized.

The replacement wheels are 3" diameter X 1" wide with a 1/4" thru hole.  Had to cut a bit to make them fit but there's enough clearance that things are still rolling freely after 3 or 4 years now.

Pete

• Raginar likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics