So today I picked up a Sears 6339 from what I believe to be the original owner. Included were his calculations to figure out the magnification with each lens from when he was a child. I've dug around and can't really find much on the 6339, but I see a lot more on the 6339a. What are some of the differences? This one is in great shape. The box shows some use, but other than a few nicks here and there the scope is in beautiful condition. I'm just giggling like a kid on Christmas as I assemble it. Such a difference in quality from some of the other scopes and mounts that I have (newer).
If some of you experts could chime in on some of these questions, I'd really appreciate it! Here's what i have so far:
1. 6339 vs 6339a
2. I believe this is Royal Astro by the makers mark? Is that correct?
3. Badge says its 75mm but in the registry and other places i've seen around here it's listed as 76 or 80. Manual says 3".
4. Manual doesn't even say Sears on it, but on later Sears scopes it does. Any significance?
5. What is this scope worth? I think I did enough research to believe that this is a decently coveted scope. I paid $150. Too high? Low? Just right?
6. Serial # is 670819 which puts it around 1966? (2nd oldest 6339 on registry woot!)
And please if there is another thread that answers all of this, just point me there. I'll post the pictures I have but if you would like any others, just let me know and I'll be happy to go take them. I'm patiently waiting for Jupiter to rise to check out the optics. Skies are not 100% clear in central Iowa tonight but hopefully good enough to see something!