•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Brand New (to me) Sears 6339!

refractor classic
  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 boxerdaddy

boxerdaddy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Des Moines, IA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:48 PM

So today I picked up a Sears 6339 from what I believe to be the original owner.  Included were his calculations to figure out the magnification with each lens from when he was a child.  I've dug around and can't really find much on the 6339, but I see a lot more on the 6339a.  What are some of the differences?  This one is in great shape.  The box shows some use, but other than a few nicks here and there the scope is in beautiful condition.  I'm just giggling like a kid on Christmas as I assemble it.  Such a difference in quality from some of the other scopes and mounts that I have (newer).

If some of you experts could chime in on some of these questions, I'd really appreciate it!  Here's what i have so far:

1.     6339 vs 6339a

2.     I believe this is Royal Astro by the makers mark?  Is that correct?

3.     Badge says its 75mm but in the registry and other places i've seen around here it's listed as 76 or 80.  Manual says 3".

4.     Manual doesn't even say Sears on it, but on later Sears scopes it does.  Any significance?

5.     What is this scope worth?  I think I did enough research to believe that this is a decently coveted scope.  I paid $150.  Too high? Low?  Just right?

6.     Serial # is 670819 which puts it around 1966?  (2nd oldest 6339 on registry woot!)

And please if there is another thread that answers all of this, just point me there.  I'll post the pictures I have but if you would like any others, just let me know and I'll be happy to go take them.  I'm patiently waiting for Jupiter to rise to check out the optics.  Skies are not 100% clear in central Iowa tonight but hopefully good enough to see something!

Box Badge.jpg

• BarabinoSr, Napersky, paul m schofield and 5 others like this

#2 boxerdaddy

boxerdaddy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:49 PM

1st Level.jpg

• terraclarke, leveye, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#3 boxerdaddy

boxerdaddy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:49 PM

2nd Level.jpg

• terraclarke, leveye, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#4 boxerdaddy

boxerdaddy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:50 PM

3rd Level.jpg

• terraclarke, leveye, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#5 boxerdaddy

boxerdaddy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:51 PM

Mount and level.jpg Inspection Sticker.jpg

• BarabinoSr, terraclarke, leveye and 3 others like this

#6 boxerdaddy

boxerdaddy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:52 PM

Badge.jpg

• terraclarke, leveye, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#7 boxerdaddy

boxerdaddy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:53 PM

Makers Mark.jpg

• terraclarke, leveye, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#8 boxerdaddy

boxerdaddy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:54 PM

Manual.jpg

• leveye, TSSClay and ftwskies like this

#9 boxerdaddy

boxerdaddy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:54 PM

Full Monty.jpg

• BarabinoSr, paul m schofield, terraclarke and 3 others like this

#10 boxerdaddy

boxerdaddy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:56 PM

And here it is just for fun behind my Meade 312

Sears 6339 and Meade 312.jpg

• leveye, Bomber Bob and cosmo823 like this

#11 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Viking 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:15 PM

Lucky dog! Move that 312 out of the way! I would have gladly paid $150. I believe you are correct on Royal lineage. I'm sure the experts will be chiming in soon.

• boxerdaddy likes this

#12 leveye

leveye

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Oregon Coast

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:18 PM

A real beauty. Congrats and enjoy!

• boxerdaddy likes this

#13 cosmo823

cosmo823

Sputnik

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:22 PM

That is gorgeous. I don't know anything about these old refractors and their value, but judging from your excitement and how clean it looks in the pics, I'd say you got a great deal. Have fun with that!

• boxerdaddy likes this

#14 Stargoat

Stargoat

Viking 1

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:42 PM

So today I picked up a Sears 6339 from what I believe to be the original owner.  Included were his calculations to figure out the magnification with each lens from when he was a child.  I've dug around and can't really find much on the 6339, but I see a lot more on the 6339a.  What are some of the differences?  This one is in great shape.  The box shows some use, but other than a few nicks here and there the scope is in beautiful condition.  I'm just giggling like a kid on Christmas as I assemble it.  Such a difference in quality from some of the other scopes and mounts that I have (newer).

If some of you experts could chime in on some of these questions, I'd really appreciate it!  Here's what i have so far:

1.     6339 vs 6339a

2.     I believe this is Royal Astro by the makers mark?  Is that correct?

3.     Badge says its 75mm but in the registry and other places i've seen around here it's listed as 76 or 80.  Manual says 3".

4.     Manual doesn't even say Sears on it, but on later Sears scopes it does.  Any significance?

5.     What is this scope worth?  I think I did enough research to believe that this is a decently coveted scope.  I paid $150.  Too high? Low?  Just right?

6.     Serial # is 670819 which puts it around 1966?  (2nd oldest 6339 on registry woot!)

And please if there is another thread that answers all of this, just point me there.  I'll post the pictures I have but if you would like any others, just let me know and I'll be happy to go take them.  I'm patiently waiting for Jupiter to rise to check out the optics.  Skies are not 100% clear in central Iowa tonight but hopefully good enough to see something!

attachicon.gifBox Badge.jpg

Congrats on your new Sears 6339. The gold oval JTII Passed sticker means your scope was produced between 1966-1972. But based on following information below, I'd estimate your scope dates to around mid 1966 to early/mid 1967 at this time.

1.     6339 vs 6339a

6339 is first version of this model. First listed in the Sears Fall/Winter 1965 general catalog. Replaces the Sears 6335. You will see similarities to the 6335 that the 6339-A does not have.

2.     I believe this is Royal Astro by the makers mark?  Is that correct?

Yes

3.     Badge says its 75mm but in the registry and other places i've seen around here it's listed as 76 or 80.  Manual says 3".

Interesting, the previous 6335 model states 76mm on the name tag. The revised 6339-A also states 76mm. So just the 6339 had 75mm on the focuser name tag.

4.     Manual doesn't even say Sears on it, but on later Sears scopes it does.  Any significance?

Again, first version of the 6339. Manual will get revised on the 6339-A. You are first person I know that has the 6339 version of the manual. bow.gif

5.     What is this scope worth?  I think I did enough research to believe that this is a decently coveted scope.  I paid $150.  Too high? Low?  Just right?

6.     Serial # is 670819 which puts it around 1966?  (2nd oldest 6339 on registry woot!)

The older serial number 570770 would date to mid/late 1965 to early 1966 based on Sears catalog first listing of Fall/Winter 1965.

Edited by Stargoat, 20 March 2017 - 11:51 PM.

• Bomber Bob, TSSClay and boxerdaddy like this

#15 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:21 AM

Lucky dog! Move that 312 out of the way! I would have gladly paid $150. I believe you are correct on Royal lineage. I'm sure the experts will be chiming in soon.

Aw man! That 312 is a good scope!

Definitely RAO - a near clone of my Tasco 10TE from 1967. Nice!

-drl

• deepwoods1 and boxerdaddy like this

#16 boxerdaddy

boxerdaddy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:15 AM

Thank you everyone for the feedback! I can scan the manual if you guys want. Kind of explains why I couldn't find anything about it before I got it. The owner had sent me a picture of the manual before hand, and that was it. So I knew it was 3" but not much else.

#17 boxerdaddy

boxerdaddy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:42 AM

Hey now!  You don't like the mesh of the old and new? lol  The 312 (TOWA if memory serves) was my first scope that I ever purchased, just about a year ago and is a decent scope, but the mount was horrible, so I moved it to another horrible tripod that at least had a goto mount ;)  Found that baby (meade starfinder? 80mm and mount) on shopgoodwill for $15 and already had the legs.

• deepwoods1 likes this

#18 boxerdaddy

boxerdaddy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:52 AM

Oh, and strangely enough, the clouds parted and behold there was Jupiter and her moons last night!  I really am feeling blessed on this one!  This is pretty much my first experience with the EQ mount, add in the slide to focus and I was having a heck of a time, but was rewarded with a few minutes of beautiful views.  The eyepieces are all there, however the original owner made some modifications to the 20mm :(  I'll see if I can upload some pics of what he did but I think it just meant to slide on to the end for a straight shot, no diagonal.  I can't use it by itself anymore unfortunately.

#19 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:52 AM

Three things about how it's set up in the pic 1) Counterweight needs to be all the way down the shaft 2) balance point for the scope is much closer to the eyepiece than here 3) that "antenna" sticking off the polar axis is a latitude standoff - the mount neck is supposed to rest on that gizmo.

-drl

• deepwoods1 and boxerdaddy like this

#20 boxerdaddy

boxerdaddy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

Three things about how it's set up in the pic 1) Counterweight needs to be all the way down the shaft 2) balance point for the scope is much closer to the eyepiece than here 3) that "antenna" sticking off the polar axis is a latitude standoff - the mount neck is supposed to rest on that gizmo.

-drl

Thanks deSitter.  I knew that I may be posting pictures exposing my newbitude, but I was prepared for that ;)  I did try moving the weight around and ended up where it was with the smoothest motion but it still felt like I had something else setup wrong, so thank you for the feedback!

#21 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:56 AM

Oh, and strangely enough, the clouds parted and behold there was Jupiter and her moons last night!  I really am feeling blessed on this one!  This is pretty much my first experience with the EQ mount, add in the slide to focus and I was having a heck of a time, but was rewarded with a few minutes of beautiful views.  The eyepieces are all there, however the original owner made some modifications to the 20mm frown.gif  I'll see if I can upload some pics of what he did but I think it just meant to slide on to the end for a straight shot, no diagonal.  I can't use it by itself anymore unfortunately.

It can be tricky dealing with the drawtube, but there should be adequate focus for a huge range of accessories. My Tasco can accommodate a porro prism all the way to straight viewing. You rough focus by pulling on the drawtube then fine focus with the knobs. In practice, point it at a distant tree, focus with the drawtube, lock the drawtube, and from then on you use the knobs until you need to refit another accessory.

-drl

• boxerdaddy likes this

#22 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:06 AM

The inner drawtube pulls way out as shown here. The set screw is for locking it in place.

http://i1102.photobu...zps354ec6e2.jpg

-drl

• boxerdaddy likes this

#23 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:09 AM

So there's a good 8" of travel in the drawtube. For prisms you shove it farther in. For straight through and erecting eyepieces or solar projection, you pull it farther out.

-drl

• boxerdaddy likes this

#24 boxerdaddy

boxerdaddy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:22 AM

Would it be blasphemous to purchase a .965 to 1.25 adapter so that I can use my other eyepieces?

#25 terraclarke

terraclarke

Voyager 1

• Loc: Kentucky!

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

You have a fine telescope there! Congratulations. You will enjoy that for sure!

• boxerdaddy likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor, classic

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics