•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexstar Evo8 Hd on the way!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rob cos.

rob cos.

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: New England

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:51 PM

Yes, it's another one of those posts, but I'm feeling pretty happy about it! I took two years off to deal with an intestinal illness and am ready to get observing again. Ordered the scope, ES 28mm 68 and 14mm 82, Baader Maxbright Clicklock(backorder for ten days or so), UHC, OIII, and an astrozap Dew shield of course. 

Star sense was too tempting. I can no longer bend over and hunt comfortably, so this is just the ticket! 

#2 lenrabinowitz

lenrabinowitz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Risa

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:02 AM

Enjoy- it's a great scope!

#3 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Viking 1

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

Starsense is just awesome. A few tips that are not in the (poor) instruction manual.

If you fiddle with it in daylight (as you probably will on its arrival!) do ensure via <menu>; <time & location> that 'location' is set correctly. If you follow the "quick start" guidance it only ever gives you one first chance to set this then it defaults to California if you make an error (like not remove it's lens cap). It's then not obvious why all your GoTos are x hours adrift. You do get invited to input all of the other critical time/date/zone/dst settings except for this, and the fact it therafter skips over 'location' catches most of us out.

Learn how to use the Starsense HC at the same pace as the WiFi/tablet. Treat one as manual and the other  automatic. Then remember that learning to drive in an automatic car doesn't prepare you for a manual gearbox. You will suffer from occasional WiFi or tablet issues and some things have not been enabled in the WiFi APPs. It's just easier to pick up any more advanced stuff later in the HC if you master each step in both as you progress.

Do add additional alignment points (up to ten). These significantly improve GoTo accuracy as they work like SYNC, but are remembered. Spread these across the sky and seasons. But you can add these over time as Starsense is really good without them.

Use a reticle cross hair EP to 'calibrate' or progressively 'calibrate' in ever higher magnification EP's.  One way to get your Cal Star better centered is defocus and use the bigger 'donut'.  Accuracy here pays dividends. You can remove the Starsense camera for transport and it won't lose calibration unless it suffers a heavy 'knock'. 

Upgrade the SkyPortal APP to SkySafari 5 Plus. It's vastly better. But I can't justify recommending the far more expensive 'Pro 'version. The latter does have ten times as many objects, but are at such magnitude that you might need a Hubble telescope to see them. Then because 'pinch' and 'swipe' reveals ever more object, I found the small tablet screen just got too cluttered. The 2.5M objects in the 'Plus' version are more than enough to last you a lifetime of observing. 

• rob cos. and malemotives like this

#4 rob cos.

rob cos.

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: New England

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:58 PM

Thanks to both of you, and yes, that advice is invaluable! I fully planned on re-immersing myself into the Nexstar(Star sense in this case) hand controller. I would never let the mobile software leave me "high and dry" so to speak! Great advice with the calibration stars, and yes, I already use the high powered donut method. waytogo.gif

Can't wait! 

#5 orionic

orionic

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boulder, CO

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:16 PM

Do add additional alignment points (up to ten). These significantly improve GoTo accuracy as they work like SYNC, but are remembered. Spread these across the sky and seasons. But you can add these over time as Starsense is really good without them.

What do you mean, they are "remembered"?  Really, across the seasons?  If you take down the scope and set it up again in a different position, how can such memory be useful?  Also, if you are careless with alignment when adding an alignment point, and it were "remembered" permanently, then that would not be a good thing.  As you can see I am puzzled...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics