•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Watching the solar eclipse in the Madras/Oregon area?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 astroland

astroland

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:26 AM

Hi!

My wife and I will be in the US during the solar eclipse (what a coincedence! smile.gif ).

We have a hotel in Bend(OR) which is just outside the eclipse path.

I know there is the Oregon Solarfest in Madras but I guess this will be so enormously crowded.

I was wondering if there are alternative/better/more low-key spots to watch the eclipse in that area.

#2 opticsguy

opticsguy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

There are a few country roads just north of Madras, my original destination.  I found these roads to be typical, two lanes and small shoulders, not enough area to safely pull over and observe. I will assume that any wider areas and pullouts will be full up the night before.  You might contact some of the local property owners for access, who knows what you might find.  My original plan for Madras was put aside when I come to realize the limitations of the roadways and possible access problems.  I am no longer observing at center-line but will be relaxed and ready.... Good luck, have fun.

#3 mitchellcloud

mitchellcloud

Sputnik

• Loc: Kansas City, KS

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:28 AM

I'm not very familiar with the Bend Oregon area. I attended a presentation last weekend by the AAS Eclipse task force. They were concerned about people being in areas where bears are present (I think there was more concern about people being on the backroads of Montana), but just something to consider. I have no idea if there are bears out there or not. There may be some info available here: https://eclipse.aas.org Hope you find a good spot!

#4 Glenn Graham

Glenn Graham

Mariner 2

• Loc: Beaverton, Oregon

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:04 PM

I live west of the cascades from Bend/Madras but have traveled there regularly since I was a kid. Sightings of bears are rare (to the point of being news worthy when it occurs). ...as are cougar sightings (also very rare). ...more likely rattle snakes (seen a few of those myself). Just make enough noise tromping around and critters typically will move away from your location. Never been bothered by them over many years of observing out there even far away from populated areas.

Edited by Glenn Graham, 21 March 2017 - 12:05 PM.

#5 Glenn Graham

Glenn Graham

Mariner 2

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:23 PM

Oh, and the Madras folks sound more worried about visitors (traffic, trash, wildfires, damage to native vegetation, etc.) than bears:

Madras Pioneer

Central Oregon Prepares For Eclipse Visitors

NASA Scientists in Madras

The comment sections of these reports don't look too encouraging either. Don't just drive onto just anyone's private land and expect to be welcomed. Under ordinary circumstances they are very friendly and helpful to visitors but they don't like being taken advantage of or shown disrespect (like most people).

• Exo likes this

#6 astroland

astroland

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for the replies all!

I guess I'll have to fire up Google Maps :)

#7 aorion314

aorion314

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Elk Grove Ca

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:05 AM

aorion314 here, as has been previously mentioned (in other postings on this subject), there is plenty of BLM land that by definition is open to use by the public. I will once again soon travel to the Madras area, during which time I will contact the local BLM office, especially to review local BLM road maps to review a possible sites near the centerline.  Additionally I will make contact with a few local ranchers and offer to pay a trespass fee to RV on their property for 3 days during the eclipse,  The rancher would make a few dollars and I will be out of others way, especially those who have made inadequate plans, hint plan now to avoid hassles/disappointment for the event, and get your hands on local in detail road maps. Respectfully submitted.

• astroland likes this

#8 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Vanguard

• Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:09 AM

I will be observing from the Baker City, OR area and south.  I would recommend going farther east to the open country if you can and stay out of the Zoo that Madras will become.  I am told many ranchers are opening up their property east.  Good Luck!

• SpaceConqueror3 likes this

#9 BinoGuy

BinoGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

Parental units have a back deck south of Salem that will receive just over two minutes.  Plus, it is spare-bedroom adjacent!

#10 bvillebob

bvillebob

Viking 1

• Loc: Eugene, Oregon

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

The City of Madras is forecasting 300,000 people for the eclipse.  The Willamette Valley is forecasting almost 1 million, it's going to be very interesting.

Remember that there are only a couple of two lane roads that connect central Oregon to the Willamette Valley and I-5, the afternoon after the eclipse they're going to be parking lots with everyone headed out.  Plan on staying a day or two afterwards unless you want to sit in your car for who-knows-how-long.

• Crow Haven likes this

#11 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: S.Oregon Coast USA

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:10 PM

I've got a very bad feeling about what may happen around the Madras area...the heat, the traffic, the high tensions/aggravations, the lack of resources, the desperation, the fire hazards from careless people.....

#12 Night shift

Night shift

Viking 1

• Loc: Atlanta Ga.

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:13 PM

Head west to Sisters and then to Mckenzie Pass. That's where I will be  

#13 astroland

astroland

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

Head west to Sisters and then to Mckenzie Pass. That's where I will be  

Oh wow...! That is an awesome spot! And less than an hour drive from our hotel in Bend.
But isn't that a bit away (on the edge at least) from the eclipse path?

Would parking be a problem, btw?

Edited by astroland, 31 March 2017 - 10:47 AM.

#14 Night shift

Night shift

Viking 1

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

I thought that it may be close to the edge. Ther is also a road just north of Mckenzie pass that may be better. I hope one of the locals can chime in and let is know.

#15 Night shift

Night shift

Viking 1

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

Mr Jefferson Oregon may do its north of sisters and in the path.

#16 bvillebob

bvillebob

Viking 1

• Loc: Eugene, Oregon

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:08 PM

Mt. Jefferson is in the middle of a large wilderness area, no roads for a number of miles.  However, there are 100's of small logging roads, USFS roads, BLM roads, etc., running everywhere through the forests.  There won't be a shortage of places to park in the forests, my only concern would be getting over the pass there and back due to congestion.  Also, there's a good chance that local gas stations may run dry and it's a long way between stations.  At the east end of my town is a sign that says "Warning - next gas 79 miles", something easterners aren't used to.

#17 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:23 PM

Mitchell OR

#18 opticsguy

opticsguy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:44 AM

Why doesn't NASA or some Govt agency move the center-line to more populated ares so people do not have to travel to remote sites??

• stevew, hm insulators, Jwemes and 4 others like this

#19 Night shift

Night shift

Viking 1

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:18 PM

Mt. Jefferson is in the middle of a large wilderness area, no roads for a number of miles.  However, there are 100's of small logging roads, USFS roads, BLM roads, etc., running everywhere through the forests.  There won't be a shortage of places to park in the forests, my only concern would be getting over the pass there and back due to congestion.  Also, there's a good chance that local gas stations may run dry and it's a long way between stations.  At the east end of my town is a sign that says "Warning - next gas 79 miles", something easterners aren't used to.

My office is in Sistets, now to find a reason to be there. Lol. I do work out of the Atl
Office. Also known as my house.

#20 Glenn Graham

Glenn Graham

Mariner 2

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:29 PM

I've been searching out articles about the preparations being done in Oregon for the eclipse. Estimates of crowd sizes, traffic, all very interesting. Here is another recent article

• Exo likes this

#21 Glenn Graham

Glenn Graham

Mariner 2

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:07 AM

Be Prepared: Possible Porta-Potty Panic (Bend Bulletin news paper article)!

• Crow Haven and Exo like this

#22 Exo

Exo

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Wayout, West

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:00 PM

The communities around Madras, Oregon will experience a once-in-a-century event, with over 350K people descending upon them. The area of Madras and Salem is very near Interstate-5, which will bring eclipse-watchers from the cities of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Sacramento, Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver BC. It may be reasonable to assume that they will not be totally prepared for such a massive Woodstock-like crowd.

But, according to published interviews (from links posted above by Glenn Graham and others), the local planners are confident they have it all covered. lol.gif

They also believe they can keep people from pulling off to the side of the road to see the eclipse. But, with so many vehicles funneling into the area, there will be traffic gridlock. People will be sitting in their vehicles on the morning of the eclipse --especially around the time of totality-- and they will certainly pull off to the shoulder or stop to view it. cool.gif

The Madras Pioneer reports:

In anticipation of the traffic explosion, the Oregon Department of Transportation has spent the past six months planning how to deal with it, and the agency will refine that plan in the next month.

"The most noteworthy thing is we are going to keep the highways open and clear," said Peter Murphy, public information officer for ODOT Region 4. "We are not going to allow people to be doing anything that allows for dangerous activity on the highway. That means going off on the shoulder and staring at the sun. That is something that will not be allowed."

To prevent people from stopping their cars along the local highways, Murphy said that ODOT will mount an education campaign to continually remind people that such behavior is unsafe and won't be tolerated.

"There will be private activities taking place," he said. "There will be ample opportunity for people to do something other than stop on the highway and look at the activity." 

KBND Radio reports:

Mayor George Endicott says the city needs to be ready for a lot of people. "The low number we’re hearing now, is 60,000 hitting Central Oregon; the high number is half a million, depending on who you’re believing, and somewhere in between. The epicenter is actually Madras, and they’re expecting maybe ten times the population of the city. So, all of our police departments are coordinating trying to come up with a comprehensive approach: Traffic, where are people going to camp, park? It could end up being pretty chaotic." He acknowledges many of those visitors will fly in, whether they're staying in Redmond or heading to Madras. "We’re working right now, trying to get FEMA to come in and do an assessment of our airport to see if that also has an impact. We could have people flying in from all over the world."

The Bend Bulletin reports:

As the epicenter of eclipse viewing, Madras officials have thought through every angle of crowd management, including toilets, said Lysa Vattimo, eclipse plan facilitator for the city. Madras reserved 125 portable toilets, to be serviced daily, and hand-washing stations, all of which will be scattered around town, she said. Those facilities will be in addition to toilets provided at large events like Oregon SolarFest and at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds, she said.  “I think we’re sittin’ pretty.” waytogo.gif

Edited by Exo, 09 May 2017 - 02:56 PM.

• Crow Haven likes this

#23 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: S.Oregon Coast USA

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:48 PM

So...they think they will have it all under control. lol.gif

It has every ingredient for a nightmare scenario. 

#24 MtnGoat

MtnGoat

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Columbia Gorge, WA

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:20 PM

I posted in another thread this morning, saw this one as well...

I scouted for three days this weekend from Antelope to Madras, Ashwood, etc. We did 250+ miles of dirt. 

Due to the mostly private land, as noted the fence situation is very intense on nearly all county roads. You cannot simply choose a little used road off the map and scoot out to a nice spot, at least E of Madras. Most places there is only a tiny bit of shoulder and then..fenceline as far as you can see. ALL water is fenced off..river, creek, reservoir. There are wide spots here and  there, but they are not numerous. 

I'm glad I scouted, I figured you head off up some county road and boom, find a pullout somewhere. Nope .Fenced. Like I said, there are wide spots..but there are not a lot, and some not all that wide. This includes Antelope to Donnybrook to Ashford, Ashford S on Trout Creek, Ashford to Madras, Donnybrook to Cold Creek. 

Be prepared...outside of Madras there is no gas, no food, and no cell. 

• Crow Haven and LauraMS like this

#25 MtnGoat

MtnGoat

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Columbia Gorge, WA

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:22 PM

Mitchell OR

One Pump, cash only no plastic...FYI

• Crow Haven likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics