•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Watching the solar eclipse in the Madras/Oregon area?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Steubenville, Ohio

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:32 AM

Apparently I should have planned better for this.

I just randomly found this place called North Fork John Trailhead. Looks like the parking lot could hold a few cars.

It's off of NF-52, but golly it's a haul to get there. Says a  5 hr drive from Portland. Its about 1 hr south of La Grande, Oregon. Might be worth a shot.

• Exo likes this

#52 Exo

Exo

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Wayout, West

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:06 PM

Apparently I should have planned better for this.

I just randomly found this place called North Fork John Trailhead. Looks like the parking lot could hold a few cars.

It's off of NF-52, but golly it's a haul to get there. Says a  5 hr drive from Portland. Its about 1 hr south of La Grande, Oregon. Might be worth a shot.

You'll get about 1 minute of totality there at North Fork John Day Trailhead.

If you drive another 10 miles south of it, you will get 2 minutes.

• zjc26138 likes this

#53 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Apollo

• Loc: Shelton, Washington

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:32 PM

Does anyone in the Madras area know how well patrolled the unpaved portions of county roads are - or will be during the eclipse?

I've been scouting a few spots using Google Earth, and spotted a stretch of road just west of Madras that seems to be a pretty ideal spot. It's situated near Dogwood Lane and the road descends down into the Deschutes River Canyon.

Looks to be a rural county road.

#54 mlbex

mlbex

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:20 AM

I'm planning to bring food and water so I don't have to depend on the vendors, although I'll use them if all goes well. I'm also going to make sure I have plenty of gas (my vehicle has 400 mile range) and I'm planning to stay until a day or two after the eclipse, to avoid the worst of the traffic. 

It's going to be a mess no matter what, but I want to see this eclipse, so I'll prepare as best I can and go. I hope they can turn down the lights at night so I can enjoy the stars and all on the high desert.

Somebody said Madras was near I5. It is a long way over mountain roads from I5. Salem, on the other hand, is right on I5, but it has a reputation for cloudy days, where Madras is in the rain shadow of the mountain range (I think it is still the cascades).

#55 CCDMan

CCDMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:25 AM

I'm planning to bring food and water so I don't have to depend on the vendors, although I'll use them if all goes well. I'm also going to make sure I have plenty of gas (my vehicle has 400 mile range) and I'm planning to stay until a day or two after the eclipse, to avoid the worst of the traffic. 

It's going to be a mess no matter what, but I want to see this eclipse, so I'll prepare as best I can and go. I hope they can turn down the lights at night so I can enjoy the stars and all on the high desert.

Somebody said Madras was near I5. It is a long way over mountain roads from I5. Salem, on the other hand, is right on I5, but it has a reputation for cloudy days, where Madras is in the rain shadow of the mountain range (I think it is still the cascades).

Indeed. Madras is nowhere near I5. It is at the junction of US 26 and US 97. 97 goes South to Bend and eventually K Falls near the Cali border. 26 goes north to Portland and South thru Prineville, Mitchell, etc. 26 South and East of Madras comes as close to following the eclipse as any major road. Single lane roads almost entirely except for a few short stretches. Madras is a minimum of 2.5 hours from I5 (in light traffic) and that is via 26 to Portland. All connections to the I5 corridor are over the Cascade mountain passes (Government Camp on 26 and Santiam and Willamette Passes further South)

Personally, I would not want to even try to watch from public land, although I know many have no choice. Crowds will be bad and security will be close to non-existent since the cop to visitor ratio will be astronomically tiny. If you know someone who knows someone who knows someone who lives under totality, that is much better. I am full up and have a crowd of amateurs coming already since I am lucky enough to live under the path.

BTW, it may not always be ideal to be at the centerline:

http://www.space.com...n-the-edge.html

Edited by CCDMan, 30 May 2017 - 11:13 AM.

#56 Glenn Graham

Glenn Graham

Mariner 2

• Loc: Beaverton, Oregon

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

FYI: Hospitals doubling antivenom for eclipse.

http://www.bendbulle...nom-for-eclipse

#57 Chmielski

Chmielski

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Fairfield, CA

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:46 PM

So, change of plans.  Instead of driving to a state park early (very early) Monday morning, I got a site here:

https://www.fhceclipse.com/

It's expensive for a tent site, but they still have a lot of sites available, it won't be nearly as crowded as Madras or Prineville, you don't have to go on HWY 97 to get there, and they will still have ~1:20 of totality viewable from a very open area    

#58 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Apollo

• Loc: Shelton, Washington

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:51 PM

According to The Bulletin (the main newspaper for the city of Bend, Oregon), Oregon transportation officials now expect the commute from Bend to Madras - which takes usually a little less than an hour - to take about EIGHT hours.

http://www.bendbulle...eclipse-traffic

It has put a severe damper to my plans of heading to Bend after the eclipse to shoot Mt. Bachelor and the Three Sisters.

#59 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cucamonga CA

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:18 PM

Madras sounds like madness and the Oregon State eclipse planners have gone off the rails with their "don't even think about coming to Oregon for this event unless you have $10k to spend" approach.  We chose western Idaho instead where there are clear skies, open land, and less insanity.  

#60 Glenn Graham

Glenn Graham

Mariner 2

• Loc: Beaverton, Oregon

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:42 PM

Madras sounds like madness and the Oregon State eclipse planners have gone off the rails with their "don't even think about coming to Oregon for this event unless you have $10k to spend" approach.  We chose western Idaho instead where there are clear skies, open land, and less insanity.  

I guess I missed this comment earlier. I've said my piece on this subject elsewhere so I'll just congratulate you on your wonderful spot and move on. Cheers!

• JNDiller likes this

#61 Chris Boar

Chris Boar

Ranger 4

• Loc: Vancouver Island, Canada

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:39 PM

Why don't you go to the Solarfest in Madras, OR?   There are still solartown camp sites available.

https://www.ticketfl...?utm_medium=bks

Solarfest is a good idea if you don't plan on bringing your gear with you.

I spoke to a representative that is handling the tickets for that event and was told that you cannot set up your gear next to your car (in cases like mine, where my gear is vehicle-dependent when not at home).

Here is the response from SolarFest:

"You are allowed to have whatever you'd like at your sites. You are not allowed to set up you telescope if you are buying a parking pass. The parking pass only gives you access to a parking spot not an area to put up your telescope. Thanks, Taylor!"

Right, so could you buy 2 parking spots and set up the scope on one of them presumably?

#62 treadmarks

treadmarks

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:57 PM

Solarfest is a good idea if you don't plan on bringing your gear with you.

I spoke to a representative that is handling the tickets for that event and was told that you cannot set up your gear next to your car (in cases like mine, where my gear is vehicle-dependent when not at home).

Here is the response from SolarFest:

"You are allowed to have whatever you'd like at your sites. You are not allowed to set up you telescope if you are buying a parking pass. The parking pass only gives you access to a parking spot not an area to put up your telescope. Thanks, Taylor!"

Right, so could you buy 2 parking spots and set up the scope on one of them presumably?

Maybe... but once parked on the center line, nothing is stopping you from walking out of the parking lot to find a good place for a telescope either. Dunno what kind of gear you're bringing though.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics