•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Goto Kogaku Mod 204

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:47 PM

Checked the 105 60mm, 1200mm, f/20.  It also is a hard contact lens without spacers.  So it appears the 105 and 106 are not Fraunhoffers and the higher end 203 and 204 are possibly Fraunhoffers because of the presence of spacers.

• rolo, Chuck Hards and Bomber Bob like this

#27 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:37 PM

Tim, I take it you have the lens holding part of the cell in the last pictures above and need to build the collimating cell holder and the part of the cell that attaches to the tube and holds the dew shield.  Let me know if you need anything more picture-wise.

These are very helpful, thanks!  I think I must have the inner cell, because the retaining ring with the lens specs is there.  I just can't get at it yet, as the dewshield is stuck on.  I'm hoping it wasn't glued on, but I don't know.

-Tim.

#28 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:50 AM

Tim, I take it you have the lens holding part of the cell in the last pictures above and need to build the collimating cell holder and the part of the cell that attaches to the tube and holds the dew shield.  Let me know if you need anything more picture-wise.

These are very helpful, thanks!  I think I must have the inner cell, because the retaining ring with the lens specs is there.  I just can't get at it yet, as the dewshield is stuck on.  I'm hoping it wasn't glued on, but I don't know.

-Tim.

Have you tried heating the dew shield with a hair dryer.  If it is glued on this should soften the glue.

#29 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:17 PM

Tim,

The original eyepiece holder is like you describe - slip fit only .965"

Mine also came with a straight through triple turret that screws into the draw tube and some Tak-ish compression fit .965 eyepiece/diagonal holders.  The compression ring does a nice job.  I have been using Vixen 1.25 adaptor in mine also, but you have to be careful as the thread pitch of the Goto is .75mm and the Vixen is 1.0mm.

P7190499.JPG

P7190500.JPG

Edited by Stew44, 19 July 2017 - 04:18 PM.

• tim53, Chuck Hards and Bomber Bob like this

#30 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:16 PM

I'd sell a kidney for one of those, Stew.  As breathtaking as a telescope can ever be.  Superb.

• Stew44 likes this

#31 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:17 PM

Hey Stew my email was AOL (yeah yeah I know) and it went bonkers lately.  Check your PM's, I sent contact info.

Here's the eyepieces, most if not all. The SUN one is very unique in that it is a dedicated eyepiece or was intended to screw off the entire top and put it on the body of the focal length desired. It is currently on a body though, so that would mean I'm missing a focal length top. Some one here might know something about that.

The other item I didn't have luck with on google is the T-30mm which is an insanely long segmented correct image 30mm eyepiece. It has a transfer lens in one of the 4 sections and totals 14" in length as a single eyepiece. That's my longest of what must be a few hundred.

It would be great to get some input on the SUN and T-30mm

Hey, I have a 4" Edmund here for you to look at too. Just lookingsmile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• P7220027.JPG
  • P7220029.JPG

• mitsos68 and Bomber Bob like this

#32 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:33 PM

Thanks,  See PMs

#33 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:36 PM

Here's a GOTO scope.  I can't really get a full picture. I can't really get to it period right now.  This was a 'hold the camera over my head' blind take.  You should recognize the focuser. This is a 10" or 9" OTA, or something like that. I recall the actual primary is an odd size in this range. It certainly wasn't a standard size. This one is quite old, 50's or 60's I believe. Might be the 70's but I don't think so. All original OTA. The tube is aluminum and almost 1/8" thick which is extreme. The cell is extreme. Rarity is extreme.  I've been directly informed by a contact in Japan that these are very hard to find even in Japan, not to mention one showing up here.

Come over on a good viewing night, bring the better half/kids, and I'll have others for a little star party. I'm on the edge of the Denver Nebula, not in it. Viewing is good, not great but good.

Attached Thumbnails

• P7220032.JPG

• mitsos68 and Bomber Bob like this

#34 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:51 PM

I'd sell a kidney for one of those, Stew.  As breathtaking as a telescope can ever be.  Superb.

Chuck, that's a lot to give for one of the compression eyepiece holders.  They aren't that special.lol.gif

But you are correct.  I am in awe of the individual that put it all together and brought it back from Japan.  Never have shown all the eyepieces and really forgot I had that turret.  Got it pretty well sorted out now and I think it surpasses any other non institutional Japanese scope made during the period.  

• Chuck Hards and Bomber Bob like this

#35 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:53 PM

Stew,  we have 3 venues now: here, pm, and PITA email switch. We are cross writing. You just now put the above. see the pm for more. lololol,  people will be wondering.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Edited by apfever, 22 July 2017 - 10:54 PM.

#36 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:19 PM

I'm amazed at the classic scopes that keep surfacing in the Denver area. 

• tim53 likes this

#37 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:59 AM

Hello to all, 

After solving the identity of that zoom eyepiece I wanted to introduce myself and share about things Goto and others and show couple pictures of my 1957 Model 105 100m f/15 refractor.  I have been observing since '96.  Mostly focused on modern Maks and all years Questar and Quantum.  Also have owned many modern APOs.  Now working on using my vintage scopes more frequently.   This Mod 105 I got about nine years ago along with a Nihon Seiko (parent of Unitron) 50mm Satellite scope.  According to the second owner (I am the third), they came over from Japan together with a returning US serviceman, so these were not imported per se.  The scope came with the obligatory Huygens in 6, 12.5, 18, 25mm and the T30-AH40mm dual purpose eyepieces.  It also came with a full set of Goto orthos - 4, 6, 9, 12.5, 18 and 25mm.  Then there is a tubular image erector and the projection device.  Also a spectrometer attachment for the eyepieces with three lenses and a hand spectroscope, those marked Goto in cute little green and red octagonal boxes.   A lot of other little doo-dads like Goto labelled silica packets, and some hand written notes in Japanese.  The lens has an amazing star test and the motor works fine at 110VAC.  I was fortunate to own a 4" Unitron with weight driven clock drive also from 1957 so fun to compare.  The Goto has better optics so the Unitron is in someone else's collection now.  I also have a 60mm f/20 Goto with possibly the best star test of any of my vintage scopes (as may be expected from the f/20). Still have a number of Unitrons including a very nice 75mm EQ and assorted more common ~60 and ~75mm Japanese box refractors.  Have both 3" and 4" Edmund refractors and original mounts that establish the value line for my larger vintage scopes, though even those provide wonderful images with even Edscorp eyepieces.  Certainly vintage, I am fortunate to own the full line (70, 85, 100, all f/12) of Pentax's early ED refractors late 70's-80's, the 100 on pier.   As I work through some of these I expect I will have some questions, and looking at some of your scope ownership lists, I am sure I will get some great information in response to those.

Thanks for comments.  Very impressed with all you all know and expect to learn a lot more about many of my vintage telescopes.

Stew

Wow - miniature observatory there. Just beautiful!

-drl

#38 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

For completeness, I wanted to show the eyepieces and other visual accessories that came with this scope.  I believe that anything with only the Goto logo/symbol are probable late adds by the previous owners even though obviously earlier made.  The scope only came originally with HM-6, HM-12.5, and HM25 plus the T30-AH40.  This is a little different than the '56-'58 price sheet we've seen that shows the larger formatted threaded 40mm on the list (which came with my Model 203).  I think all the orthos and additional Goto Kogaku eyepieces are original.  Two of those, an HM6mm and an HM12.5mm are still in the sealed plastic bags.  So a complete set of orthos - 4, 6, 9, 12.5, 18, 25, and a complete set of Huygens - 6, 12.5, 18, 25, plus the T30-AH40.  There are also two of the Sun filter eyepiece caps and two of the Moon filter.  Then an older Sun filter eyepiece cap with just the logo that probably was part of the later eyepieces add.  The two 1.25's, an HM12.5mm and HM10-20mm I've added.  The T30-AH40 eyepiece is accompanied by the long achromat erector.  And the scope had one sun projection lens and prism on the list, but I have two.  In the upper left hand corner is what I now believe from my first post to CN is a zoom 12.5-25mm microscope eyepiece.  It is marked 10X-20X.  Lastly the second picture is of the obligatory Goto hand and eyepiece spectroscopes in their little felt lined red and green cases.

P7230508.JPG

P7230511.jpg

P7230512.jpg

P7230509.JPG

Also in reviewing the Model 203 I see that it too has a compression ring eyepiece/diagonal holder.  I believe these are an upgrade to the 2XX series from the 1XX series which were slip fit.  For comparison here are the eyepieces that came with the Model 203.  The 4mm Or is an add-on to the list of the Sun, HM6, HM12.5, HM25 and K40.

P7230510.JPG

Edited by Stew44, 23 July 2017 - 11:22 AM.

• deSitter, tim53, Chuck Hards and 4 others like this

#39 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:17 AM

I'm stunned, just stunned by the mechanical and optical artistry.  Thanks for posting these pics and info, Stew!

• deSitter likes this

#40 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:01 PM

Yes, good for the soul!

-drl

#41 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:03 AM

Stew, pm sent.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics