•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Microsocope Cleaning / Restoring services

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bartine

bartine

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Silver Spring, MD

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:51 PM

My family has a couple of older microscopes that have been handed down.  One, from my Grandfather, has real sentimental value, but it really needs cleaned and restored.

Does anyone know of a company that does cleaning and restoration as a service?

#2 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:02 PM

http://www.microbehu...-by-categories/

Here's a link to a microscope forum I use.  Lots of knowledgeable people there, someone can probably point you to someone in your area.

If not here is a place in Ann Arbor MI

http://www.benzmicroscope.com

• JerryOrr likes this

#3 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:59 AM

I pass a microscope cleaning and restoring biz on route 6 in Terryville, CT. Might try there?

Pete

#4 Microscopy

Microscopy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:09 AM

That depends on a lot of things: make of the microscopes, age, purpose of restoration (decoration piece or restoring to full working order?), where you live (US I suppose?) and so on...

There's at least one rule of thumb: decent restoration of a microscope is never cheap and, especially for pre WWII models, often impossible, due to lack of spare parts.

That's the downside.

On the plus side: many manufacturers (if they still exist...) ar very sympathetic and helpfull towards amateurs trying to restore older instruments. And there's a huge amount of knowledge amongst amateur-microscopists around the globe.

Can you tell something on those microscopes? A picture perhaps to (try to) identify them? That's the first step.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics